Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs found this Chadly Johnson article and after the fact build thread on my bubbletop Futurian

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Moriarity, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Extra points for the '57 Chevy 'vert motors.

Moriarity and lothiandon1940 like this.
  2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

57 chevy rear end too....

3. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

The part that blows me away is that you can't draw. I can put anything I want in front of me if I have the materials and time but I can see it before and draw it. To make something . Most guys that aren't artists end up with something that looks all wrong. You are an exception ! WELL DONE !

4. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

thanks man, yeah I can't draw at all and I have tried, both my Mom and my brother are tremendous artists. Even when it came time to do the paint layout. I had painted the car white, pearled it and mini flaked it with silver and gold mini flake (looks amazing in the sun) cleared it and sanded it with 600 grit. then I proceeded to use up at least 10 rolls of fine line tape trying to lay out a pattern that I liked and could not do it... I gave up and called my pal Dennis McPhail and he came up and nailed it!!![​IMG]

Tman, 54delray, Stock Racer and 10 others like this.
  5. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

the whole car is beautiful! quite the feat to pull that off! great detail.

Moriarity likes this.
  6. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

You are being too modest Mark. The striping and panels are nice but they can't fix a body with a bad shape . I have painted many custom cars and bikes and several hundred airplanes and striped all of them. If the plane has an odd shape, the best artwork a guy can do can not make it look nice. There are several panel and striping scheme,s that would have made your car look great but you nailed a nice body.

chryslerfan55, drdave and Moriarity like this.
  7. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I thought I would ad some more pics and make this sort of an after the fact build thread. I thought I had a shot of the bare frame but I couldn’t find it. It is made from 2” round tube, ladder style. I used a 57 Chev rear on coil springs and hair pins. The front axle is 37 Ford v8-60 with horizontally mounted coils. I covered the frame with sheet poly and started laying on plaster and vermiculite newspaper spit wads. These first pics are not for the faint of heart. I gotta tell ya that after a few nights of this it would have been real easy to quit. Looks horrible [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The next step is to use a cheese grater file and whatever else works out to shape it[​IMG][​IMG]

9. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I screwed around too long trying to get the sides symmetrical ( I had cardboard templates all over the place) that the whole passenger side dried out, cracked and fell to pieces on the floor.....

54delray and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

After I finally got the plaster in shape, it was time to start laying up glass. I used polyester resin and the first couple layers were done in cloth. I had never done any glass work prior to this and I was told the cloth was important for strength. The cloth was followed up with 1.5 oz mat which was far easier to with with.[​IMG][​IMG]

11. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

After the glass cured, I spent what seemed like forever getting the plaster out of the body, it had glommed on around the frame tubes and was a bitch getting the body off and cleaned up. I had a giant pile of plaster to get rid of. I scraped the garage floor and it was about 6 inches thick all over... big mess, big success... flopped the body back on the frame and man was it tougher than a night in jail on the outside......[​IMG][​IMG]

12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The next step is lots of grinding, most of which I tried to do outside to keep the itching powder to a minimum.[​IMG][​IMG]

54delray, Stock Racer, brEad and 7 others like this.
  13. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

14. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I don’t have any pics of the bubble top mold. I made it from plywood as instructed by Ed Roth. It took 4 tries to get a decent one that wasn’t lopsided. One thing Roth said when I sent him pics of this car in primer was “I don’t know why anyone would want to build a car that looks like I built it in the ‘60’s, you should be building something futuristic “ that was actually a compliment in my eyes because I wanted it to look Roth inspired.

Next I built some of the “fun stuff” like the tail lights. Because you can’t just put production car parts on a custom built car[​IMG][​IMG]

15. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Next it got blown apart, I rebuilt the engine which is a 215 aluminum Buick. I built my own blower manifold for the 4-71. A weiand plate holds 6 stromberg 97’s. Bored .030 over. Mallory dual point distributor, offy valve covers that I machined off the name and inserted a plexiglass futurian name plate. The engine is painted House of color candy purple[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  16. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I did all my own pre chroming polishing. That is some of the hardest and dirtiest work a person can do... pained the frame gloss black and assembled all the suspension parts and installed the engine and trans[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The next step was a ton of priming and blocking until I thought it was straight enough and then painted in ppg white with hok silver pearl and covered with silver and gold mini flake. Metal flake over white is almost invisible except for in the sun light but boy does it sparkle in the sun!! Like I said before I have no artistic ability whatsoever and try as I might I couldn’t come up with a layout. My pal Dennis McPhail came up and did an amazing job.....[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

18. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Once the candy fogs were painted, cleared, sanded and rubbed I got a bunch of guys over to put the body back on for the last time. This time we had to be careful not to scratch anything.... here is a pic after assembly and before upholstery. The interior was done by Bob Holland. Bob was a friend of @Tuck and he saw the car at bobs shop. That was before I knew tuck and before I joined the H.A.M.B. [​IMG]

19. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

54delray, hrm2k, catdad49 and 6 others like this.
  20. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

As soon as it was completed it was loaned to Starbirds hall of fame museum. When I unloaded it there Darryl took one look and said “ that looks more like a Roth car than a Roth car”.....[​IMG]

21. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Here is a pic a few years later in front of the museum shooting a Christmas card pic with Darryl....[​IMG]

22. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

23. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

It was at this point some of my buddies said "get rid of this crap before too many people see it" LOL

24. echo ed

echo ed
    from fla.

It's a beautiful creation, you should be very proud, not many people would have seen it through to the end. I enjoyed the construction photos, thanks.

brEad, Ron Funkhouser and Moriarity like this.
  25. big fun to read, Mark, and hats off to you to start AND finish such an ambitious built.
    always like your stuff, dude.

Carsten

Ron Funkhouser and Moriarity like this.
  26. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Found another pic that should have been included. Painted body[​IMG]

27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amazing and Wild Machine...I hope it's okay to call it a Custom Hotrod...truly a masterpiece. Thanks for sharing the story and the visual journey @Moriarity...

Question for you...Has vermiculite been replaced in this type of mold construction as it has been given a bad name due to health issues it could create, not that so many other things involved in the construction phase carry similar warnings...so I guess we just have to be careful

28. Fifteen years and the kitchen is still new? Thought I was the "Anticook''.

Ron Funkhouser and Moriarity like this.
  29. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

hard to say. I haven't used any in a long tome. when I did my trike body I used foam insulation skimmed with a thin layer of plaster just to keep the resin from eating the foam. It was way less messy[​IMG]

kidcampbell71, 54delray, GuyW and 5 others like this.
  30. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

You need to do more build threads.