Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects FOUND...The Hot Rod that started it all for me!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by chop32, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Such a cool picture of you and your brother and great story, sad that he is gone I am sure but it is great you are honoring his memory and I am sure that he is smiling down on you. My brother and I are only a few years apart and are very different, however we connected with cars. When I was 14, my brother 16 he bought a 67 Camaro for us to restore, when I was 16 my brother would let me come pick up the Camaro when he was at work and leave the family wagon hand me down in its place. my brother and I have grown much closer in adulthood, he is heavy into raising horses now but still loves cars.

2. willymakeit

willymakeit

There are 3 in my mind, first was Lee McFarlands full gendered model A in 1973, then Bob Robertsons 69,427, tri power ,4 speed Corvette. The last was my shop/auto body instructors ,Oscar LewisS F100's,one of which I have.
    Great story.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  3. chop32

chop32

I figured that its about time for an update...
    Problem is that there hasn't been any progress other than picking up a few parts here and there.
    I had planned to step away from house repairs and work a little on the car during the wet winter months.
    You may have heard that we are in a drought out here in CA with 2 very dry winters in a row.
    While this is good for my getting caught up with house repairs, its seriously cramping my Model A build.
    I'm pretty much retired now so if all goes as planned I should be able to jump almost full time on the car by the end of this summer, and be able to do some small side work to finance the build.
    Hopefully Ill make some progress so we can get this thread rolling again!

volvobrynk and Denns1989 like this.
  4. Can hardly wait to see some fresh pics, such a great story. Tim

chop32 likes this.
  5. GO FOR IT!!!! It is never to late......

chop32 and blackandgold like this.
  6. Roger53

Roger53

Time to get'r done I'll be watching.Roger

chop32 likes this.
  7. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Excellent. Good "Karma" brings good "Carma."

chop32 likes this.
  8. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Great Read! Congrats on it "coming home", You were definitely young and impressionable.
    That's a good thing!! Hot Rods keep ya focussed ;). My neighborhood friend got his 1st car in 1976, It was a 1923 T-Roadster w/all of the 60's/70's looks. Built about the time your brother had the A and had a 371 Olds power-train. It was the 1st Hot Rod that a guy close to my age had and we worked on getting it all spiffy.
    He sold it in late 79 and the last time I saw it was in 86 in Ontario, CA. around the corner from TCI.
    He went off in other directions and I stayed focussed on Hot Rods, somewhere inside of him he still had the bug, because in the mid 90's he ended up with a Rod & Custom=still has one of each.
    I have him helping me with some patch repair on my A-rdstr, but we often wonder what happened to his????
    I hope to someday either find it for him or dupe it from what little pix we have of it. It really was something special just as your brothers is to you. Take your time and do it the way that you remember it-don't ever give up though ok?

chop32 likes this.
  9. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Outstanding sir.Great history.Sorta similiar story.Years ago a friend ordered an M1 Garand from the DCM.When it arrived he called me to come and check it out.As he was cleaning it he looked at the serial number,he says"Oh my God in Heaven".I says what?He says this is the rifle that I was issued in Korea in 1951.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

chop32 likes this.
  10. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

Great, and inspiring story. Can't wait for the updates.

chop32 likes this.
  11. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I love this thread, an epic thread!

I like they care, and I love the story!

There is a few things I I'm not a big fan of, on the car. But I would never be man enough to change them!
    Was the T-looking wheel, top of the crop back then, or just what he had? Never seen them on anything but T/gow jobs.

But please tell us what you plan to do. Since we get no progress right away, please give us an update in what gets updated.
    Like the way the rear fits in the fenders, is that how it will end up again? I mean the air above the tires.

It's odd I like both colors, but you can never go wrong with black!
    Slicks that's wider then the fenders, with a little more then the crust showing is always great looking!

So cool you got you brothers car! Cad or SBC would be equally cool!

Keep at it, lad!

chop32 likes this.
  12. Great story and an awesome find! I hope you can get going on it - you'll love the day when you fire it up and take it on it's first cruise. Keep us posted.

Me - I love the burnt orange color!

chop32 likes this.
  13. mike bowling

mike bowling

That picture of you and your brother is really cool. I think putting the car back to that original build would be pretty sweet, and honor your brother at the same time. The car looked great ; a real Hot Rod. I friggin' love it. Glad it's back where it belongs.

chop32 likes this.
  14. chop32

chop32

Ok, you asked for it, lol!
    The "T" wheel and stock A steering box were long gone when the car went orange and I dont see them finding their way back. The car had been updated to F1 steering, so the search for a box is on.
    Other than that the car will be pretty much built back to the way it was with a few changes/ upgrades that I remember my Brother wanting to do.
    Drop the rear just a touch, chrome rims up front, chrome bumpers, passenger side tail light are a few.
    The orange color is growing on me, but the car in my memories was black and it will be black again.
    I want to use as many of the parts that were original to the car as I can, including the one glass rear fender.
    The original drive train was also sold off long before I got the car, but I do have the Muncie M-20 4 speed that was in the car in 1970.
    Ive decided on a Chevy small block like it had before and Ive picked up a correct set of rams horn exhaust manifolds and a pair of Corvette valve covers for the new motor, which will probably end up a 327 or a 350.
    Definitely will be using a Duntov 30-30 cam, or a modern equivalent. Gotta have that solid lifter sound!
    Ive found a similar vintage (pre 1957) Olds rear end to what the car was built with too.
    As I had said before, the rear of the car had been bumped below the trunk pretty good and the second owner bondo'd in the whole rear panel. Ive got the parts to repair this, but the quarters are both slightly twisted to one side which makes the rear fenders cockeyed. This will all have to be pushed and pulled back to square before I can really do anything else.
    Thats all I can think of for now... Ill post later as I find more pieces or start working on it!
    Thanks for the interest...just writing this is getting me pumped up again!

studebaker46 and volvobrynk like this.
  15. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

No matter what changes you make in it, it will always be your brother's rod and that in itself will make it so special.
    It is so neat that it found it's way home to you, it is definitely karma of the best kind. ;)

volvobrynk and chop32 like this.
  16. Road Angels

Road Angels

Better than sex, drugs and rockin roll, and the smile will last till the end of time, congrats

volvobrynk and chop32 like this.
  17. mutant55

mutant55

Hey Gunar, I am bringing this back up to the top for you again, I know you have been tied up with other things lately, and you will get to the A in time, I had just found the story, and now that I personally have spent time with you and the Model A, and the 25 cent tour, I agree with everybody else, great story, great project, way cool car! Couldn't have happened to a better guy!