Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects FOUND...The Hot Rod that started it all for me!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by chop32, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Was fun to stop by the other day!! Keep it up man

2. cktasto

cktasto

great story, thanks for sharing; hope our paths cross sometime here in northern ca

3. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!

4. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Now that is as cool as hell story!
    Jay

5. zjerry

zjerry

Great story, Keep us posted on the Hot Rod .
    Hope I can find my dad's old custom .:)

6. brady1929

brady1929

Cool story, Congrats

7. Tommy R

Tommy R

This kind of stuff give me chills. Fantastic story and congrats! I love your plan for the car and you know you put a smile on your brother's face...

8. Great story and congrats on finding it - not too many folks can say they found and now own the car that started them getting in to this hobby!

9. S.F.

S.F.

good to hear. what a great story.

10. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

Man that is an awesome story and turn of events to get the car.

Congratulations and keep us updated with some pics as you return her back to the way she was.

11. chop32

chop32

Just want to keep this thing going...
    I haven't been doing much more than gathering parts for the car, but tonite I visited with the family friend and last registered owner of the car, Gary Hoehn.
    Gary filled in some of the blanks in the cars history, and loaned me some photos he took of the car when he used it as a daily driver.
    Turns out that the rear bumpers that I got with the car are the same ones I remember my brother having laying in the corner of the garage, and that they were never put on the car. An old memory popped into my head about the car being rear ended when my brother owned it and I have a feeling that this is why he sold the car sometime in 1968.
    The next owner bondoed over the damage (first pic) and painted the car the burnt orange color that it is today. He also swapped the 3 speed for the M-20 4 speed and Muncie shifter that came with the car. During this time the stock seat was changed to VW buckets and the US Indy slots and MK II 5 spokes were added. From the pictures the steering column location appears to have been changed...maybe from the stock A setup to an F1 column/box? The pitman arm that came with the car has 4 blank splines, is that F1?
    Gary bought the car from this guy in June 1970 for $800.00 and the 4 photos were taken 2 months later. Gary says he never did anything to the car other than maintenance and that he parked in the mid '70's intending to rebuild it. The Duntov 30-30 cammed 283, olds rear end, steering box, etc... were sold off or discarded along the way so Ive been busy tracking down the missing pieces to put the car back to the way it was.
    Ive been here for 11 years, but have never done a build thread, should I start a new thread or just keep adding on to this one?

Attached Files:

kiwijeff and volvobrynk like this.
  12. greaser

greaser

A separate build thread would be O.K. if this thread were referenced in the beginning....but continuing this thread with the rebuild would be really great!
    This thread is really inspiring, and a separate build thread would definitely lose your connection to the car. JMO!

13. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

I agree with greaser, build it here on this thread. The story and the build will keep the interest up. good luck Jack

14. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

yep, keep it on this one.

15. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

What a great story, it's finally come back home. Yes, build it here.

16. That's just too cool.
    I love the "I'm gunna chop you" layout marks.

Keep the post going here. Will be cool to see the progress.

Good luck with it.

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  17. chop32

chop32

I really glad that I got there before any cutting started!

18. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

A very cool story. I'll be following this.

19. Any updates on this??? :D

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. chop32

chop32

Sorry for the lack of updates...Not that much going on.
    Life, and a needy house, got in the way of progress. Evidently Ive spent too much time on car projects and not enough on house projects for the last 10 years, so some things had to be addressed!
    I did manage to get a couple things done though...

I have a vague childhood memory of the car being rear ended, or possibly rolling into something just before my brother sold it.
    The previous owner found some rear damage lurking under a sea of bondo.
    If you zoom in on the rear pic from 1970 you can see how everything was just mudded over and painted.

Next pic is how it looked when I got it, followed by another with the new Brookville panel and a nice used lower rail mocked in place. The quarters and deck lid opening moved around a bit when the car was hit so Ill have to tie the body down and work everything back to square before finalizing the rear panel and deck lid install.

I was missing one lower door hinge (body side) and had trouble finding an affordable replacement. I ended up throwing together a makeshift jig and adding about an inch to the middle of a spare upper (shorter) hinge. Simple fix, wish I had thought of it earlier!

Other than that Ive put the wood back in the car and spent some time searching for parts.
    A reasonable '50 Olds rear and control arms turned out to be elusive, but I did come up with a pre '57 leaf spring Olds/Pontiac rear axle that's the same width as the one that the car was built with. I also now have a set of Chevy pick up rear control arms.
    Similar to the early Olds setup, easier to install and much easier on the eye when looking at the rear of the car.
    I picked up a nice 10 leaf rear A spring from a buddy and got a great deal on a pair of rear spring hangers from Ollin here on the HAMB, so things are still slowly progressing.
    That's all for now, hopefully I can make some good progress this winter when its too wet out to work on the outside of the house!

Attached Files:

kiwijeff and volvobrynk like this.
  21. Christom

Christom

Cool story. Sad to hear your brother is longer around to be a part of it now though.

I reckon that car must have found you. A family heirloom for sure.

22. scoTT la rock

scoTT la rock
    from NJ

That's a great story

23. Lowbuckboz

Lowbuckboz

Awesome!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. Babyearl

Babyearl

I just stumbled onto this thread,, and read it all. I will follow this one.
    And yes this is a Great story,, I know that you have to be happy,happy, happy.
    Babyearl

25. I've been following your story for a while, and I'm subscribing now that there's less house and more A Bone action going on! ;)

26. av8shop

av8shop
    from windycity

Wicked cool story

27. That's righteous!

28. Kool49

Kool49

29. 94hoghead

94hoghead

Thats too cool! There were a few cars that my older brothers owned that I would love to run across today.........

volvobrynk likes this.
  30. im diggin this thread ....