Register now to get rid of these ads!

FOUND------stolen 1960 apache (San Jose)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TooMany2count, May 23, 2012.

1. A member over on Stovebolt had his truck stolen. Here is the Stovebolt link

Hey all, had my beauty 1960 apache stolen out of my driveway this morning, if any of you live in bay-area, and happen to see it, would love to hear from you. Link to a picture below, except I just put brand new blue steel rims and tires on it (dammit!!). any sightings can be reported to me at jh11 @ csr dot com
    Licence# was california 2B85855

thanks, Jamie.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  2. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

That's a beautiful truck, hope they catch the bastards and hang 'em.
    Tom

3. FOUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Below if a reply from the owner over on Stovebolt...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I got my truck back, about 30 hours after I reported it stolen. I reluctantly have to ‘thank’ Facebook for its return.
    After filing report with police, and then calling my insurance company who confirmed I had no theft coverage, I posted
    an ad on craigslist lost/found. A few hours later I got a response from that ad, saying my truck was spotted about
    15 miles away in a liquor store parking lot. The guy remembered it well, because the driver stalled it driving in.(HA!).
    He described the guy to me, and I went looking for it in that neighborhood for a few hours… no luck.
    In the meantime, I forwarded the craigslist ad to a friend of mine, who said he would pass word along to his hot-rodder friends
    in his car-club… before long, someone posted to their facebook , and then it spread around quite a lot on there…
    Following evening I was at restaurant with a friend, I had my phone turned off. After dinner, turned phone on ,
    Had 50-missed calls, and 50 messages…. – my truck was being “held” at a 7-11 parking lot, only 10 blocks from my house!
    I rushed there, to find a guy (didn’t know him, but he saw facebook posting) refusing to let this other guy leave with my truck before police came.
    Police took about a half hour more to come, in which time thief had plenty of opportunity to leave, but he chose to stay. He was
    homeless/ barley coherent, quite disheveled, but with balls of steel. In front of me he tried again to get in truck and leave!
    I resisted all urge to do violence, and patiently waited for police… Still he remained, and refused to leave. He even allowed me
    to take his picture standing beside truck!!!! Very bizarre!!
    Police arrive, arrest him, and I drive home…. No apparent damage (besides pryed-off locking gas cap) .
    Gave a nice reward to fellow who didn’t let guy leave… (he had confirmation of license plate that it was stolen truck).
    Thief was a match to description/spotting gave day before.

Anyways, I am/was kind of anti-facebook… but I have to give credit to its power in reaching a lot of people …

-Jamie

4. Legendary Lars

Legendary Lars

fantastic end of story glad ya got it back, most excellent

5. slammed

slammed

Happy ending! Good for you and the guy who detained the thief. And to all tough guys who would have 'done this' and done that, save for real someday. It's just talk.

6. Rob68

Rob68

Excellent that you got it back!

7. Good to see you got your truck back!
    Your story about getting the word out, shows the power of the internet! This would'nt have been possible 20 years ago!

8. A big thanks to mark zuckerberg or however his last name is spelled

9. pride63

pride63

thats fantastic news , here in england it would have been used for a ram raid then torched with in 30 mins all while the police are not bothering answering their phones.

10. Beau

Beau

FB recovered a stolen Hot Rod here in MN last month. It works!

11. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

Glad he got it back!

12. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

So, where is the pic of the perp?

13. HOOORAY! Many Kudos for your restraint! It would have been difficult for me to NOT reduce that fucker to a puddle of goo!

14. jazz1

jazz1

Good thing you got your truck back,,,now did this guy hotwire your truck or were the keys handy? Depending on location you could be liable for the theft or any damage done by the suspect with the vehicle....strange times.

15. I LOVE a happy ending!

16. You are a lucky man

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great story with a happy ending! I'm clueless how Facebook works, guess it does have value at times like this. Bob

18. gas pumper

gas pumper

So he put gas in in it? did he at least fill it up?

Congrats on getting it back this is great.

I had an OT CJ-7 stolen a few years ago. Reported to police, they did nothing and all the surrounding towns are on the same radio freqs. A few days go by and my phone rings and the guy askes do I want my Jeep back, I said yeah, bring it over. He said no you come get it. Told me where it was parked. He used the registration to look up my phone number in the phone book. He left it on the street in a neighborhood of McMansions one town over. I went and got it, he called me back to make sure I retrieved it. I asked why you called, he said the thing was a POS and I musthave needed it more than him. LOL.

Police were pissed that I recovered it without them so that they didn't get the kickback from the tow and impound.

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good to see that the truck was recovered quickly and with little or no damage.

Good to see that we have folks who will go an extra step to help make sure that someone's property is recovered too.

20. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

Glad you got the truck back. Now the most important thing.Where is the damn picture of this ass clown standing next to his/your truck LOL

21. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

GLad you have the truck back.. Facebook is not for all people, but it worked well here.

22. jaymann

jaymann

wow, what a great outcome!
    Although I'm somewhat amazed and angered that it took the cops so long to arrive. Who knows what the thief could have done while being detained by the good Samaritan. What if he had a weapon?

23. only in America !!!

24. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

Glad you got her back!