Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Found on Kijiji 1928 Roadster!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RetroSteel, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Started making a floor out of 16 gauge steel. Used a bead roller also. Made a hatch to get at the Master Cylinder and a transmission tunnel
    [​IMG]
    Step up behind the seat
    [​IMG]
    Floor behind seat where fuel tank will sit
    [​IMG]

2. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Very nice, 28-29 are my favorite roadsters! Collecting parts to build a Coupster now.

3. Thanks Hillbilly! Keep us posted on your Coupster build!!:D

4. Here are some updated pictures showing the progress on the '28 Model A Roadster
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Using a '32 dash with custom insert Custom made Using Speedway Motors (You polish & drill blanks) 2 inch chopped & leaned windshield posts
    [​IMG]
    Custom made access plate for the Master Cylinder

[​IMG]
    Custom bent 1 3/4" pipe for side impact. Also removable floor piece over the transverse spring. Will be using an O'Brian Optima battery box.
    [​IMG]
    This roadster was an original rumble seat car. We have changed that to a regular opening trunk lid. Sprung for a Brookville trunk lid as the original trunk lid was bent up inside & out. Trunk lid was just sitting in there for the pic and will be needing adjusting!
    [​IMG]

5. Drivinford

Drivinford

Great looking roadster

6. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

Really cool roadster. I am starting on a 28 as well. Look forward to watching your build.

7. 41woodie

41woodie

My gosh am I out of touch or what. When I saw the title of the thread I thought Kijiji was probably a south Pacific island and wondered how a '32 got way out there. Sad

8. Thanks!

Thanks Johnny! Good luck on your 28!

Here's a Tim Mcgraw that explains it all:
    http://youtu.be/9PgfQpJFYp8

9. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Coming along nicely! Good work!

10. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

That this is like Sex on Wheels! Love it!

11. Thanks!

Thanks hillbilly!

Here are a couple of update pics i took while test fitting parts.
    Using curved glass SoCal gauges and a seperate SoCal Tach & bucket on the column. Old school chrome turn signal unit also. It comes with a 4 way flasher knob.
    [​IMG]

Using a vintage style racing gas cap
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Where did the gas cap come from and how will it be attached to the tank when mounted to the body.

Next question, is it vented or not ? I can't seem to remember if you need a vented cap with a mechanical fuel pump and carbs, I believe you do.

13. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Your roadster is VERY cool. I think the wire wheels and whitewalls make it.

Don

16. Lookin' good. Great work. Keep us posted.

17. reece

reece
    from NC

Tubing inside the body looks great. I imagine it stiffens the body pretty well. I may do the same on my coupe. Everything about it looks fantastic.

18. Thanks and will be posting more progress pics in the future!

Yes, it stiffens the frame like a cross member and can be used as a fastening point for seat belts & for mounting a bulkhead between the fuel tank & the back of the bench seat.

Thanks redlineracer!

19. Test fit the bench seat. Had to use 1 3/4 inch spacers in the front to get it above the transmission tunnel. used 3/4 inch spacers in the rear. With the added clearance i will run the fuse panel under the passenger side of the seat. This will leave the inside of the firewall nice & clean of wires.

[​IMG]
    Lots of usable space behind the seat when it is tilted forward. You can also see the front mounting tabs for the fuel tank which mounts to the steel cage.
    [​IMG]
    Custom stainless tank is aprox 21 gallons. Yes, we are planning some long trips!:D
    [​IMG]

20. Looks great!!! From the little I can see of them though, the wheels don't look like Kelseys..... Just stock ford wheels. I could be wrong though, I would appreciate a better pic....

21. skatermann, I maybe wrongly presumed that all Ford wire wheels were Kelsey Hayes? While Kelsey did manufacture bent wire 35 & 40 spoke wire wheels it looks like Ford made the 30 spoke?:confused: nHere is a pic of the back of one of the rims.
    [​IMG]

Which brings me to my next question. I bought this car with the rims & tires you see. They were mounted to the Chevy 5 x 4.75 bolt pattern using these multi pattern adapters for the 5 x 5.5 Ford wires. Is it safe to use these adapters with these wire wheels?
    [​IMG]

22. Here is a pic of the bottom of the seat in the up position. Lots of usable space under the seat.
    [​IMG]

23. I'm really diggin this build.

24. Thanks tedley!

25. I talked to H.A.M.B. member Wheel Kid today about the adapters. I ordered a set of (4) steel spacers from him which sit on the adapters made specically for running 16 inch Ford wires .
    No need to buy a set of new adatpters!:D

26. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Regarding that frame setup, I did one using a 'T' frame like that, (as a 'subframe' in design, but actual 'frame' for legality!
    Customer wanted to register his '27 'T' Highboy as a 'T', and NOT stamp the 'T' numbers into his '32 frame. CHP came to my shop, looked at it, and signed it off.

4 months later, I did one like that with a '28 'A' frame & body. Both jobs were done using rusty and damaged gennie '32 side rails.
    I also had a pair of damaged '32 rails, Turlock swap, $100. Got a pair of fronts from Jerry Kugel for very reasonable $$, nice fix. They went under my '27 Hiboy.

27. servi53

servi53

looks great, excellent fab work

28. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

Have you thought about running drum brakes up front instead of disk brakes? I think they ruin the look especially with wires.

29. Here is a recent pic of the frame (upside down) for working purposes. I have the stamped number on the actual Model A frame. It will receive a new provincial government serial number as it has been modified when i apply for the Modified License Plate.
    [​IMG]