Register now to get rid of these ads!

Found in trash...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jax2A, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Jax2A

Jax2A

Ok just got this out of someone's trash tonight. Old oxygen tank turned in to an air pig. I can make out "OXYGEN" and "BREATH" in very faint stenciling on one end. It's non magnetic and light. Its 12" diameter and almost 24" long with bungs on each end. I'm pretty sure it's off a plane, can anyone tell me what kind and year?
    [​IMG]

2. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

Stainless crew oxygen tank off a WWII era bomber. My dad had one we used for a portable air tank for years, but it got lost in a shuffle.

These were sold as surplus by the bazillions... :D

3. 72'Bourbon

72'Bourbon

Used for high altitude bomb raids, mostly in WWII. Standard U.S. Military issue, used in all bombers of the proper era's. Need any more info?? Lmk. I'm not an expert, but have done my homework on these.

4. jipp

jipp

iv seen them used as gas tanks.

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Is there a DOD milspec number plate on it? That might help to track the date of mfg or contract.

PS What is a MILSPEC mouse? An elephant.

6. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Keep dumpster diving!

7. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

saw that tank for sale on ebay a couple weeks ago.guess it didn't sell so they trashed it.they make sweet post war style gas tanks.

8. silent rick

silent rick

anyone know how many gallons of gas they hold?

9. bb1970

bb1970

About 9 gallons + -. I filled one just like that one with water. Then poured it into a 5 gal. bucket to get an idea. It almost filled it twice.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  10. Jimv

Jimv

Air Tanks usually don't make good fuel tanks, they're baffled all wrong.Same as air tanks on semi's the baffles are usually just plates with holes drilled thru them & that gives them support so they don't bulge out when full.
    JimV

11. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Aren't you the guy that complained you'd never need to know 'this stuff' in Solid Geometry class?

Volume calculations are fairly easy if you have a measuring tape and a cheap calculator....

measure the diameter of the tank and the length of the body of the tank between the points where the end arcs begin. Call that length 'h' (height), and divide the diameter by 2 and call that dimension 'r' (radius), then apply the formula:

∏r²h or: Pi x the square of the radius (½ diameter) x height. Write down your answer.

To figure the volume of the ends:

4∏r³÷3 or: 4 x pi x the radius cubed and that product divided by 3 will give you the volume of the sphere that is formed by the two ends. Add the amount from the first calculation, to the answer to the second calculation and you will have the volume of the tank in cubic inches.

To figure out how many gallons the tank holds, multiply that cu in figure by 0.00433 and it should result in a reasonable answer to the question of how much gas it can hold.

Whether it SHOULD be used as a fuel tank is entirely up to you.

dj

12. Paul

Paul
    Editor

good to know for sure, but

one lesson that stuck in my mind was when the teacher brought in a large light bulb and asked the class to find it's volume

while the kids all worked their calculations he knocked the end out of the bulb, filled it with water and poured the water into a measuring vial

13. or...go to greertank.com/tankcalc.htm.....and it gives you the gallon capacity of gas tanks in different sizes.....

14. silent rick

silent rick

i must have been absent that day

15. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

That's a great piece of history you found no matter what you use it for !

Retro Jim

16. jipp

jipp

thats good to know, i just seen them.. maybe thet cut them in half and gutted them.. no clue.
    chris.

17. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

I have never seen an air tank with a baffle in it. There is no reason for it, if the tank bulges that much it SHOULDNT HAVE AIR PRESSURE in it. The air tanks on semis do not have baffles in them.

18. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Make sure you check it for leaks. The tank I owned had hair lien cracks all along the straps.

19. alchemy

alchemy

It doesn't need baffles, the straps are there to hold it together under pressure. Shine a light in the hole in one end and I bet you see it out the other end.

20. Jimv

Jimv

i pulled one off a cab over about 10 yrs ago & was going to use it for a gas tank & on that one i did find it baffled so i never bothered looking at any others.
    JimV

21. Aircrew O2 tanks are not baffled, since they contain oxygen or ambient air and NOT liquid O2. It is simply pressurized breatheable O2. These typically hold 300 PSI, and CAN hold up to 450 PSI. Old WWII-era tanks might have baffles, but the bottle that replaced those (1955 or so - present) are not baffled.

I flew for nearly 20 years, so I know.