Register now to get rid of these ads!

History !!FOUND!! Grist Bros. chopped 41 Willys Build updates, History & Pics?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ether, Sep 22, 2009.

1. JLGrist

JLGrist

Thanks for posting that, Ether!

2. Finished up the rockers, installed the trunk hinges, and fit and installed the rear fenders. Is it just me or does the second picture look better? Im going back to ducking!!!

Attached Files:

3. EdGrist

EdGrist

Second pic looks like it has some power under the hood! Great job Ether!

4. EdGrist

EdGrist

This pic was posted in the "Re: 1937 to 1942 Willys Picture Thread" here on the HAMB. Does anyone have any information about it? It looks very similar to the Grist Bros chopped Willys and could be a missing link. Please post if you have any info.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  5. 1940 Willys Coupe

1940 Willys Coupe
    from Texas

Ed,

Look at the back glass and you will see the BB/G car has a divider bar between the glass.

In all the pictures that have of the Grist car that rear window divider not being there is what gave the car away as the Grist car.

Just a thought.

1940 Willys Coupe

6. EdGrist

EdGrist

Your comment and interest is much appreciated. However, I believe what you are seeing as the window divider is actually the roll bar and brace. The roll bar was unique in that was a loop that angled up from the passenger-side frame rail up and over the driver and down to the driver-side frame rail. It protected only the driver side. There was a brace that was welded near the top of the loop and headed back towards a cross member in the trunk. The Grist Bros Willys had a larger than stock rear window with no divider, as you mentioned. There are some other clues I'm seeing as well. The mesh grill is the same as it was when the car was sold. The front tow bars are the same The radiator also appears to be the same Crosley. The angled braces attaching the firewall and the front fender braces/wheel well is the same and the front wheels appear forward of center in the wheel well. The front wheels were pretty common, but they also match. This picture would be about 3 years post sale, in 1967 and at Dragway 42 in Ohio, according to draglist.com.

I've attached pics I'm using for comparison. One shows the tow bars, grill, and front wheel position. The other shows how a recent previous owner added some cowling by piecing a piece off of a car and joining it to the firewall to fender brace. I do not have any showing the actual roll bar though, just memories. After you consider these additional clues, what do you think? Thank you for your comments. They are much appreciated.

Attached Files:

7. JLGrist

JLGrist

Here are a couple of pictures that were posted by 1934Coupe on this board.

One pic is of the front of the Grist Bros Willys on the scales at the '63 Winternationals. The other is a photo of the seats that were also apparently taken at the same time.

Attached Files:

8. 1940 Willys Coupe

1940 Willys Coupe
    from Texas

Ed,

Thanks for the great side photo of the Grist coupe and after viewing the car from the side I feel the BB/G is the Grist coupe.

1940 Willys Coupe

9. micky69

micky69
    from Ohio

The shot is from Dragway 42 in Ohio. A lot of Todds pics have been going around lately.

10. EdGrist

EdGrist

I sure appreciate your eyes and comments. Not too many folks would know about the roll bar. That was a great observation though. After finding the pic of the BB/Gas, I've been scouring the Internet looking for more information. All I've found so far is that the pic was taken approximately 1967 and at Dragway-42 in Ohio. Found this at drag list.com.

Thanks again.

11. EdGrist

EdGrist

Thanks for your reply Micky. If you come across any other info, please pass it along.

12. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

13. Now that, my friend, is interesting!!!!

14. JLGrist

JLGrist

That's neat, but definitely not the Grist Bros car! It's cool to be name dropped! That's the second recent Willys eBay ad I've seen with the Grist Bros name in it!

15. EdGrist

EdGrist

I agree, the eBay Willys is definitely not the Grist Bros Willys. Back window is the main clue, also the windshield wipers are located above the windshield instead of below. The Willys in this thread definitely is the old Grist Bros Willys.

Dave, when did the wipers go above the windshield? Seems like I remember a discussion on this subject in the '37 to 42 thread.

16. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

1937 to 1940 had the roof wipers, 1941 and 1942 had the cowl wipers.

17. EdGrist

EdGrist

Thanks Dave. You're the man!

18. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I believe this Willys, previously to the Grist Bros.' ownership, to have been the famous Willys raced in the Southern California area by Ollie Olivas.
    The car had a large Hot Rod magazine spread done on it in the '50s. Ollie ran a 304 C.I. flathead, with Hilborn injectors. The car turned phenomenal times, (in the style of Northern Calif. "Bread Truck", another flathead phenom, out of Vic Hubbard Speed Shop in Hayward, CA.) Truly fast flatmotored cars were 'memorable'.
    My Hot Rod Magazine collection was stolen in the '80s, but there are HAMBers with full collections; Ollie's Willys was featured somewhere between the years of '57-'59, in there somewhere.

19. Austincarnut

Austincarnut

Check out this link:

http://www.dragracingonline.com/features/sosenka_1.html

I found this pretty easily... let me know if you want me to look futher.

Dennis Austin

20. Austincarnut

Austincarnut

<P>
    </P>
    <P>&nbsp;</P>
    <P>&nbsp;</P>
    <P>http://www.70sfunnycars.com/FunnyCars11.html</P>
    <P>&nbsp;</P>
    <P>&nbsp;</P>
    <P>Another one </P>
    <P>&nbsp;</P>
    <P>Dennis </P>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  21. A few update pics and from where we started so long ago!

Attached Files:

22. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Ran across this picture in May 1970 CC of Tommy Shinholster from Titusville Florida.
    May not be the same car. But it is or was closer to Mississippi.

[​IMG]

23. WOW, what a great picture. The only thing that throws this out of the loop is it seems to me that it is a chopped Willys with chopped coupe doors. The Grist coupe was chopped and shortened to fit sedan doors. I may be wrong but they look longer. Great find though!

24. VonKool13

VonKool13

Cool car, can't wait till he gives you the green light to restore it to the 60's gasser version, instead of the 80's pro street garbage he's got you doing!

25. zapp69

zapp69

Im loving the Look of this.

When I was told about a Chopped Coupe with Sedan doors I wasnt very interested until I found this post and saw it. WOW more of these should have been chopped.

What amount is it shortened, what is the new wheel base?

Update please Ether

26. 37willysgasser

37willysgasser

just my opinion, but this car needs to be restored!

27. Im still plugging along. Working on some fit and finish issues and a few more cancerious areas. Drivers eyebrow, new driprails, door window surrounds, door gaps, and rear fender fits. A bunch of other stuff but its boring crap. Hoping to be done in the next month or so, that way I can get to work finishing up my Merc for the Calif trip!!!!!

Attached Files:

28. modelkitbasher

modelkitbasher

hey man what brand of glass parts are ya using on this car?like the rear fenders?

29. Outlaw

30. zapp69

zapp69