Register now to get rid of these ads!

Found Dads '56 Chevy Gasser!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Panneton Bros. Racing, Sep 22, 2008.

1. uwonamos

uwonamos
    from Omaha, Ne

Good point!?!?!?

Maybe I missed it, but are any of your dad's old paint jobs under there?

I'm sure you'll do the car right but you have to figure out which way to go. Dan

2. cgaswillys

cgaswillys
    from New Jersey

WOW!!! This story doestn't end. It's not your Dad's old car but it sure is a cool old gasser. My vote is to leave it the way it is and just keep fixing the mechanical stuff so you can use the car. and keep searching for more history on it. then go with your plan to build a tribute/clone of your Dad's old car. Then you will be the lucky ass guy with to killer 56 Chevy Gassers.:D

3. There is some Dark Blue metalic overspray on the bottom edge of the bottom grill piece that is closest to the "gravel pan", however I couldn't find any Dark Blue on the body only a coat of grey primer which was used after they had prepped the body for the "new" paint job Dark Blue/silver top which never happened cause they sold the car. Remeber this car got into a traffic accident when Dennis Coker owned it, and after repairing/replacing the front sheet metal, he painted it Bahama Blue (medium blue metalic). I now believe the dark blue on the bottom of the grill came from the donor car Dennis got the sheet metal from. As for the serial # tag being changed. I highly doubt it, it is retained with the original rivets and was painted over by all the paint jobs (6 including the primer coats). I am totally convinced this is Dennis Cokers old car.

4. You "hit the nail on the head "that is the exact plan.

5. Yesterdays Child Irwindale.jpg I believe that is our '56 in the staging lanes/backround at Irwindale. I just say this today on the "Drag Cars in motion thread.

6. Hoping to meet up with Dennis and his wife soon. Anyone out there got any pics of the car when he owned it.

7. I got to meet Dennis and his wife a couple months ago, it was very cool. Dennis walked up the car and put his hand on the rear quarter and said, I haven't seen my ole girl in 46 years! He has lots of memorabilia and is going to share with me, so I'll share with the HAMB soon. Finally figured out how to use my new phone camera. The camera we normally use has pictures IMAG0149.jpg

IMAG0189.jpg

IMAG0287.jpg that this website won't handle (too many pixels or something). Any way here are some updated pics with new engine, trans, rearend and ET/Team III five spokes. The rear tires are M&H 13.5 x 29's. We wanted them to hang out the fenderwells a little like the old days, see what you think.

8. Butch M

Butch M

Love that 56 one of my favorites never get tired of seeing that bad boy......

9. Thanks Butch, your Mean Green Machine is easy on the eyes as well.

10. IMAG0302.jpg

IMAG0303.jpg

IMAG0300.jpg

IMAG0295.jpg Made some noise over the weekend, sure feels good to have it running again. Looks like good weather this weekend for the Gasser Round Up in Lompoc.

11. Couple shots from the Roundup and my bros. new '55. Gil and the boys did an awsome job on the paint and body. Just finishing up the stainless trim.
    We're planning on FINALLY getting some drag strip time on the '56 @ The Moon Eyes Christmas party Dec. 10th. My bros. plans on making some passes in the black car too. We have been thinking about a name for the black '55 and have come up with tons. Anybody want throw in a suggestions?

Attached Files:

12. Had to fix a small oil pan leak, everything looks A ok! IMAG0344.jpg

IMAG0345.jpg

13. Butch M

Butch M

Wow great lookin 55 love the wheels and stance .......

14. 4406

from Oklahoma

That is one Bad ass car Rick!

15. We lost our dad wednsday morning (26th), he went fast and painless just like he always wanted. He's hang'n in Glory now with our King and Savior Jesus Christ. Rest in peace dad, we see you again.

16. the other me

the other me

Rick,
    I have followed this from the beginning, just not one to always chime in....but after checking in this afternoon and reading about the passing of your dad I had to.

My sincere condolences to you, your family, and friends.

I sure hope you keep and cherrish all of the wonderful memories it appears you have.
    May your father rest in peace....godspeed.

17. Thanks brother, we appreciate your thoughts.

18. Butch M

Butch M

Rick you are in are thoughts prayers sorry for your loss.

19. Thanks Butch. I need to spend some more time with Dennis Coker, see if he wants to go to Mooneyes with us and see his old girl dance again.

20. Ok everyone, since we found out a couple months back that Yesterday Child was NOT our dads old car, and we found and met Dennis Coker, the original builder, we would like to try and find the "Panneton Jones & Christensen car. Again, it is believed to have been sold to two Burbank police men around '67-'68. It was in grey primer with stock steel "roller"
    wheels on it. It had a fresh straight axle and one piece glass nose. I know that this is rather vague but its a start. The pic of this Altered '56 I believe from Pomona may have been the car after it was sold. Anyone have any more info on this "Blatt & Windman or Windmar" car? Now that our Dad has passed on, it would mean even more if we could find it. Thanks for any consideration/help. Ric. PS. The two other guys were Dick Jones originally from Glendale, Ca. last know living in Acton, Ca. and Chris Christensen, originally from Glendale, Ca. and last known living in Murrietta/Temecula, Ca. Chris went on to race injected Funny Cars and won the '89 (I believe) Div. 7 crown driving the Miner Bros. Alky Funny Car. Blatt+Windman.jpg

21. PS. Maybe somebody remembers who's competition #515 was.

22. Here are the old pics again for reference. 56 @Pond-2.jpg

56 smokers-1.jpg

23. BTTP, Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

24. Bump, See you at MoonEyes!

25. Never got a good pass in at Mooneyes, blew the tires off and missed 2nd on the first pass, and had fuel delivery issues on 2nd and 3rd pass. Good news is I dropped the clutch 3 times a 6500 rpm and didn't break anything. I'm pretty sure I've got the fuel delivery thing sorted out and also need to take some counter weight off the clutch. We're gonna hit some thursday nights at Irwindale soon for some test and tune and get ready for March Meet and Dragfest. The Cokers came by late afternoon at Mooneyes and brought there Pomona Drags jackets from the 60's. They also finally found their photo album for the '56 that has about 40 photos that I'll share as soon as I get them. Looks like we'll probably have the car on display at the Grand American Roadster Show at Pomona end of January. Dennis and his wife are gonna help me get a display together with all their memorabilia and trophy's. Should be lots of fun. Yesterdays-child.jpg

IMAG0418.jpg

IMAG0419.jpg

CIMG2142 - Copy.JPG

IMAG0417.jpg

CIMG2156.JPG

IMAG0420.jpg