Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Found an old race track-With pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Joe T Creep, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

Wow. Thats pretty damn cool to have those cars there. Im glad its getting used for stuff like this.....

2. easter

easter

In the mid to late 60's on the way to Tampa for the IMCA Sprint Car Winternationals, IMCA stopped at Macon. Todd Gibson had his little roadster "The Flintstone Flyer". Everyone with IMCA knew he would be crazy fast. The pits were all watching as he went out to qualify - but his car was so low it actually went below the timing light. So, they brought him in and taped a fuel stick (to measure fuel in tank) to the roll bar and sent him back out. The crowd went nuts at how fast he went and all of the IMCA guys laughed with pride that one of their own could do that. Good times.

3. I can hear the engines coming around turn four for the green when I look at those pics...

It sounds AWESOME from here!

Sam

4. Floater03

Floater03
    from Byron Ga.

there's a for sale sign out by 41,any takers?

5. moefuzz

moefuzz

Those pics makes a guy wanna run down the track

6. Floater03

Floater03
    from Byron Ga.

yea, its super clean now too from the commercial and racers reunion events. very tempting since its only a mile from me:rolleyes:

7. mopar92

mopar92

I just learned that there was a large moonshine distillery below turn 3 in a bunker!!! Wild! Pics?

8. Floater03

Floater03
    from Byron Ga.

They placed a historical marker on site this past week end for the big concert held there in 1970. Maybe it will stir some interest in the place.

9. mopar92

mopar92

10. Floater03

Floater03
    from Byron Ga.

pic of last years racers reunion car show, there were alot more nice rides this year but dont know how to post.:confused: looks like this will be an annual event!

Attached Files:

11. There way a huge rock concert there , check out the performers !/
    Show:2nd Annual Atlanta International Pop Festival
    Date:Jul 3, 1970
    Venue:Middle Georgia Raceway (Macon, GA)

Performers:
    Jimi Hendrix
    The Allman Brothers Band
    Jethro Tull
    Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band
    Mountain
    Procol Harum
    B.B. King
    It's a Beautiful Day
    Ginger Baker
    Richie Havens
    Hampton Grease Band
    Taos
    Ballin' Jack
    Bloodrock
    Lee Michaels
    John Sebastian
    Ten Years After
    Spirit
    Ravi Shankar
    Symposium of Awareness
    Terry Reid
    Cactus
    Gypsy[/QUOTE]

They forgot one: Grand Funk Railroad played there,and parts of their "Live" album was recorded at that event. Hey;gotta give props to the hometown boys!

12. farna

farna

I lived in Warner Robins from late 1990 through 2000, stationed there with the USAF. I well remember going by the property, more or less between Macon, Byron, and Warner Robins. Heck, I think it was closer to WR than the other two! A friend lived in a trailer park near by. Apparently the track has changed hands, or the old owners died off, as they wouldn't even talk to anyone about doing anything at the track back then -- "just stay away" was the attitude.

I can understand neighbors not wanting the noise of a race track or concerts -- it's pretty "urban" around the track now, was in 90-00. Just happens, unfortunately. But not having car shows or anything like that, maybe some daytime events, was just a waste of a nice field.

I don't think there is any hope of getting regular races there again, mainly due to the urban sprawl around it. Maybe an occasional special event. The old Columbia Speedway (SC, in Cayce) was closed for the same reason -- mainly noise issues. They've opened it back up and use it as a park. There are car shows there and the track is used as a walking/bicycling track. I had heard that they allowed some go-cart racing as the noise level was a lot lower than full size cars, but that might have been just some special event, or something someone was trying to get started. That's still a better use than letting the place waste away.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  13. Floater03

Floater03
    from Byron Ga.

Gonna be a dukes of hazzard reunion,concerts and classic car show next march,any one interested in a meet and greet then head to the track so we can all park togather? David Alan Coe plays fri. along with some local talent. should be a fun week end.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  14. DoubleJ52

DoubleJ52
    from Belton, MO

Wish I lived closer, that would be a blast to be there!

15. Floater03

Floater03
    from Byron Ga.

$30 for all 3 days gets you,your passenger and your car in the infield. check out the general admission price.
    Jones County Classic Crusiers is the host club.

Attached Files:

16. farna

farna

Here's a link to the main site:
    http://www.dukesofhazzardgareunion.com/
    $30 for a car show pass (infield parking!) and two multi-day passes is the best deal. No details on the car show, probably not a cut-off year for cars, just show whatever. I hate the new cars on a show field! I don't think any real show should have a car less than 10 years old on the field. At least a 10 year old car would have had to be well kept. some of the customized new ones aren't too bad, but still, if I wanted to look at new cars I'd be at the local dealer or CARMAXX lot, not a show!

Hmm... how about a HAMB meeting somewhere in the area, maybe a local restaurant/store parking lot/hotel?? Then on to the show!

17. Floater03

Floater03
    from Byron Ga.

I talked to Chris of the Jones County Crusiers yesterday at a show here,registered for March. he says they are going by auto club rules so 20 years and older for show cars is how i see it happening. A HAMB meet up would be great,lots of places to gather at the I-75 exit for the track,just a few miles from me. Will keep this going ,check back as things get closer.

18. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I sent the link to this post to an "old Army buddy" that grew up and still lives in the area, I asked him about his remembrances and this is what he sent.

as for the old race track ...
    guess you could say I'm familiar with it :)

Lamar Brown, owner and builder of the track (Middle Georgia Raceway) lived in our neighborhood in Macon. I went to school with his son Lee who was a few years younger.
    Lamar ran an electrical contracting firm that had been started by his father "Cap" Brown
    thus the name "Brown and Son Electric Co" They made good money with the building and expansions at Warner Robins Air Force Base

Lamar like most men liked fast cars and racing prior to the "big track" in Byron, he built a nice go-kart track, asphalt track with banked corners and even a winding course in the center where local kids could rent little go karts and putter around "T-Bird Speedway"
    the main track was for micro-midgets ... like my dad and I raced until it came time for me to play "Joe College" at UGA in Athens

Lamar was busy with the electrical business during the day so his wife "Miss Amy" would
    operate the track in afternoons. She hired me to help her out and I worked there for a while cranking go-karts, repairing go-karts, taking up tickets and even selling coca--colas :)

But Lamar wasn't satisfied ...he wanted more --he wanted a real race track and like with many other things in life"more is never enough"

thus the beginning of the end-- the building of the real money pit draining personal funds, savings and even the electrical business funds leading to one of the more infamous tales of the track ... when the feds found an underground moonshine still

yep lot of memories ... funny thing I can still see Lamar and "Miss Amy" and her Lincoln convertible along with their son Lee ... all frozen in time looking just the way I want them to be :)

19. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

:D Those sneaky NASCAR guys. Back when stock cars were good for something.

20. k9racer

k9racer

Lamar also built a fly swatter that ran the length of the still area. He said this would also move the mash smell away. He would lock the out side gates when the still was in operation. No out side visitors. His product always went north to atlanta. One day a driver that was also a motorcycle police man in Macon wanted to test his Fairlane. Larmar put him off until he could finish his run. I never asked Tommie C. if he ever had any knowledge of the operation. I know more but will post later.. Bobby.....

21. Floater03

Floater03
    from Byron Ga.

This deal in march appears to be getting lots of attention,website says they have sold tickets in almost every state and several contries,wtf?

22. Don't know much about Dukes of Hazzard fandom I take it.

23. Floater03

Floater03
    from Byron Ga.

24. Floater03

Floater03
    from Byron Ga.

bringing it to the top
    any mid Ga. cars/what ever wan to set up a 'meet and greet'?

25. farna

farna

I'm in SC but might be able to attend. Was stationed in Warner Robins with the USAF for 10 years, still have a few friends in the area. A good place to meet might be the museum at the air base... easy enough to find.

26. Floater03

Floater03
    from Byron Ga.

Just to update: show cars are now going to be parked outside of the race track,which means no cooler searches? Party on!

27. k9racer

k9racer

f you go back to the fair city of W R front street is not the same. If you have been their you will know... The whole town is larger and Houlston street almost has busisness all the way to 75.. At the exit is the nude resturant.

28. Robonwhls

Robonwhls
    from Macon

For those of yall that were at MGR for DukesFest hope you all had a great time. Sorry i just now saw more messages on here as i've been away from the site for a few months. Was there myself on a scooter pootin around the old quarter mile talking and visiting friends. I sure hope those 55,000 people that generated over a million dollars for Byron help bring the racetrack back to life.

Rob

29. Alamedasam

Alamedasam

Really neat. I will go see it next time there. Thanks.

30. farna

farna

Darn, it snuck up on me and I missed it! I have a good friend in the area and he forgot to remind me, we had planned on going. Will have to get in touch with him now!!