Register now to get rid of these ads!

found an old dragster today--should I buy it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by student of steel, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Allright guys--first off happy thanksgiving to everyone. If you're reading this, you might be getting away from the family thing like I am. Anyway, on the way to the family gathering, I spotted a lot on the side of the road with a few old cars outside for sale. My favorite was a 39 chevy coupe that was built in the early 70's and running a nice old hemi.

Outisde in the snow there was an old dragster frame (modified from a sectioned 35-40 ford chassis it appeared) mated to a flathead with an 84 carb on it. It had an early ford steering wheel that seemed to swing to one side and a small bench to sit on. Stick and knob still on it.

Dudes I know, where are the pics. I am going back to this place on Friday and will take some then. The other thing I remember was a rudimentary IFS and old delapidated whitewall tires in the front. No slicks in the back--just two tires mated to one large wheel. A rudimentary square roll bar behind the seat.

The owner said he wanted $500 for what he called a "dune buggy". Let me say it looks just like some of the early drag cars I saw in Alex Xydias's video on hot rod history. I could be wrong but that flathead and frame looked old school to me. Any ideas on this thing and should I buy it. Pics on Friday--including the Chevy. Thanks

2. RustyRedRam

RustyRedRam

You shouldn't even waste your time and just tell me where everything is so I can drive out with a trailer. :) Grab the Chevy and the dragster and have some fun with them!!

Matt

3. OLLIN

OLLIN

hard to go wrong for $500.

4. I guess my main concern is that the block is crap and that is it. I goofed above, the carb is a stromberg 81 and the flathead is a pre-39 21 stud. Speed parts for these seem to be hard to find.

5. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

mmmmmmmm....let me think about it!!!!

6. lakes modified

lakes modified
    Member Emeritus

Border line, as we need to see pictures first. It could end up being $150 of scrap iron.

7. Gotta have the pic's dude!

8. sounds like a good deal Where are the pics :) We likes to sees the pics bro!!!! :) Im a picture whore :)

9. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

I saw that car about a month and a half ago.
    It is a dune buggy and the engine is locked.
    I have no where to put it or it would be mine.

10. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

Lots of early 60s Dune Buggies were "Water Pumpers "built from old Fords and look alot like dragsters and I'm sure could be easily used as one with single slicks on the rear.Popular Mechanics and other books of this type were always doing articles on these type vehicles.I'm still looking for an article they did on a "Beach Buggy"C cab pick up built from a Crosley chassis and running gear it was bright yellow and was featured on the front cover.There was a thread not that long ago about older folks calling current folks hot rods "Cute Dune Buggy"

11. Thanks to Leon Renaud and dabirdguy. Yeah it was a dune buggy--just like in my issue of a 1961 Hot Rod. Bummer--the engine was frozen up and it 'aint no dragger". I really don't need a dune buggy project and was only buying the thing to take to the HAMB drags.

12. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Another Dune Buggy thread?