Register now to get rid of these ads!

Found abandoned old car, what is it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by applekrate, Sep 28, 2009.

1. I was walking parts of an old abandoned hiway, has not been used in 40-50 years, and came across this stuff.
    Trying to identify it. There are parts in 2 groups a distance apart from each other. at first, I thought they belonged to the same car because it looked like the same era and they were the same color. After looking further, I realized they are not of the same car.
    The first batch of stuff consists of at least- 2 fenders, a hood, clutch pedal, a arms, fuel tank, bumper and misc. I lifted the fender and found a large trim piece still on it saying Mercury. Not sure of the year, very early 50s or late 40s.

Here are pics of the first batch though the second batch is much more interesting. I'll post that in a bit.
    If anyone has can identiy these parts, let me know.
    I love discovering old stuff like this.
    Last year, I found a radiator out of a 20s or early 30s car.

Steve
    Hosting- 8th annual Nostalgic Show & Go! March 27-28, 2010 Phoenix
    make plans to attend

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  2. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Those all seem to be 49-51 Merc parts to me..

3. Is there a barn close by?

4. no, there isn't anything around for many miles.

Here are more pics from an area not far from the first. frame is gone as is drivertrain which leads me to think this was just dumped there or , it could have been stripped of its parts over the decades.
    I've been hoping to find some abandoned wrecks.
    This vehicle has no front end sheet metal either which at first made me think it belonged to the first set of pics but the shape of the doors do not match the shape of the fenders.
    It is a 2 door and both doors are still bolted to the cowl area. There are what appear to be a vin number of something stamped on the top of the cowl. there is also a trim tag on it
    the front portion is cut off at the top of the a pillars and just behind the doors. the remainder of the body is upside down. there is a rear fender close by, i do not think it belongs to the main body.

If anyone can ID this, I would just like to know what it is and if it is from the same car or several different ones. note the shape of the doors from the front. I think is is mid-late 40s something.

Steve
    Hosting- 8th annual Nostalgic Show and Go! March 27-28, 2010 Phoenix
    www.nostalgicshowandgo.org

Attached Files:

5. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Your going to cause a second gold rush now that you have everyone thinking the hills in AZ are covered with Merc sheet metal.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

49 or 50 Merc. Even if you can't make a car out of it there looks to be some serious trading material there. If it's a two door there are guys on here that will pound on your door for the doors and rear quarters. There are plenty of pieces there that others are hunting for their cars.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

7. Kustm52

Kustm52

49-50 Merc. I'll buy those doors if you want to drag them out...!

Brian

8. here are some more pics.

<TABLE class=tborder style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 4388544" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1>Steve
    www.nostalgicshowandgo.org </TD></TR><TR><TD class=thead colSpan=2></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Attached Files:

9. titus

titus

and the front fenders and hood and lower valance are from the same car, so grab all the parts your can.

JEFF

10. the boys are right... get that tradin' bait out of there before someone else does! guys will beat a path to your door for (albeit bullet holed) 49 merc doors!

11. So you guys think all these parts belong to the same car? It seems the doors and fenders are shaped differently.
    Now looking further, It appears the rear fender laying loose must belong to the main body as the paint matches.

The only main number that looked like a year on the trim tag said '43'. I know there were no cars made in '43 except for certain military units but, you guys think it is more like '49-'50. I know cars '55 and newer quite well but, older than that, i only know them plus or minus 3-4 years.

I just found this stuff yesterday. I really doubt it is going anywhere as it has to have been sitting there for over 30-40 years. The area does get snow but, it relatively dry climate compared to the mid west.
    next time I go back there, i can check further. if there is a certain part I should look at, let me know.

as of now, I do not plan to be back around there for several weeks as my next trip planned it Bakersfield for the Reunion.

Not sure how practical this would be to retreive. I personally, would not want to take anything as I don't wish to steal, it isn't mine. However, I also realize this is vintage iron that has been abandoned and it rusting away which I don't want to see either. it is either on indian land or Arizona DOT right of way land. I really doubt it is on private land.

Someone would have to be quite tactful and stealthy to retrieve this stuff without anyone knowing about it but, I imagine it could be done.

hmmmmm
    I plan to be at the swap meet Sat if anyone wants to talk to me about this find.

Steve

12. Why are these doors so valuable? usually fenders , bumper and trim are more valuable than doors. just curious. I have 450 old Pontiacs and sell parts as a hobby but, doors are not normally a hot item ,.

Steve

13. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Two door conversions mainly. Also, most of these cars get saved rather than parted and more often than not, full of rust.

14. titus

titus

4 door to 2 door conversion

15. Oh, OK, people convert 4 drs to 2 drs? I guess that means the 2drs must be in less supply than there is demand?

I just spent a few minutes doing a net search on mercs from that era. It is hard to find a pic of an original car. It seams all are customized, chopped, etc. does anyone have a pic or pics of a 49, 50, 51 merc that is not customized?
    By looking and studying the shape of the doors, fenders, etc. I can now see how it is likely that the fenders and the doors are off of the same car. It is because the hood comes down to meet the fenders at the front of the doors.
    I guess i stumbled on quite a find out in the middle of nowhere.

cool.

Thanks for all the replies so far, keep them coming if you have something to add...
    What is a nice pair of doors worth with minimal rust?
    Steve

16. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

17. I know of a really rough 4 door. If I had that pile of parts, I'd be all over the 4 door!

18. You see unidentifiable tin, I see cash laying on the ground. AFAIK no one is repopping 49-50 Merc lower quarters or rockers, which makes them worth whatever they'll bring on eBay. Doors and the upper quarter and quarter window are sellable, the grille surround is big money, solid hoods can be tough... floorpans if good... basically there's no reason not to be out there with a pickup truck, a generator, a sawzall and a grinder with a cutoff wheel doing your part to clean up the environment. Cut it all in big pieces, throw a tarp over the sucker and bring it home.

19. exactly - anybody asks, you're out there recycling and saving the environment.

20. DAHEMIKOTA

DAHEMIKOTA
    from Tenn

Thats one way to lock a thread, Ask how much anyone wants to pay for something.:DLOL.

21. Vorhese

Vorhese

nice barn find rat rod

22. I'm sorry if that got me in trouble. that was not the intention of this thread. really.

Again, I am pretty sure it is on Indian reservation land, or possibly Az DOT right of way. One could get in deep doo doo taking something off of the res......unless you are one of them and I am not.
    Still, anything is possible.

Steve

23. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Okay... you suck! (I mean that in the nicest way).

You seem to be a Poncho guy, so may not be hip to the whole '49-'51 Merc customizing thing, but to put it in terms you can understand, you just found a duffle bag with money in it. They're NOT stacks of Franklins, but they're not all Washingtons, either.

Go get all the sheetmetal you can... floors, fenders, quarters, doors...

-Brad

24. I,d be on that like flies on shit.....

25. For sure it's a 1950 Mercury...push button door handles and the taillights. 49 Mercs had pull handles. Nice find.

Murph:cool:

26. why couldn't this happen to me?.......i ain't livin' right i guess.

27. If you can get a truck close to the parts, get them. Car parts lying around = metal pollution, I'd much rather see you pick that stuff up and sell it to someone who could use 'em.

28. I dont get this? A car guy that can't identify 50 Merc parts?

29. Truckedup

Truckedup

Run for your life,it's a trap!!!Headhunters spread those parts out years ago to attract white punks who like old cars............

30. Before you just start gathering up sheetmetal, find out who owns the land. The tax assessors office has tax plats and can give you the name of the owner. Public record.