Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Found a 59 tbird

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NewGuyOldFord, Dec 22, 2015.

1. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Driving down the back roads the other day and came across this. Motor and tranny long gone but the interior is actually pretty decent minus the carpet. The lady said there is a clear title and she called it a "parade edition" tbird. Never heard of that so not sure of its validity. What was cool was the installed record player on the console that she said was dealer installed and it played both inside and outside the car (sound). I could purchase this car for $500. I know it needs work but thought that was a good price. In the shed on the property was a 55 tbird sitting in rough shape that she said $7000 so not sure how she prices stuff. Here's a quick picture I snapped of the 59. What do you guys think? Thanks. ...BART

Attached Files:

2. stangman05gt

stangman05gt
    from illinois

how are the floors? and trunk? sitting on the ground like that could mean major rot.

3. 500 for a '59 Thunderhawk with a title? You bet your ass you should own it. Shove an FE and a C6 in it clean it up and enjoy many many happy motoring miles.

or if you can land one a 430 MEL works well in them too. ;)

UNCLECHET likes this.
  4. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

It was sitting under roof on all 4 wheels up until recently. Husband died and it was pulled out of the almost collapsing barn in the background. The paint is faded and surface rust from sun beaten but overall the body is in pretty decent shape. A little rust through here and there on the quarters. There also happens to be a 68-69 galaxie country squire wagon there with a 390 in it that she said I could have for scrap price which is $200-$250. Got me thinking now Beaner.

loudbang likes this.

5. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

The interior parts alone are worth more than that. The title is a nice plus, and I see a pretty nice front bumper and guards. I'd say get it, and either part it or do something with it.

6. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Quit thinkin, become a man of action and ya got a whole start up kit for under a grand.

55willys likes this.
  7. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

The bumper is actually just swayed up on its brackets from the strap they used to pull it out with. It should be able to be loosened up and adjusted pretty easily. One question. ..will 58 custom 300 parts fit on this (suspension and stuff like that)?

8. Yes no special suspension for the Bird. If you swap springs you may get some sag they did use heavier springs for the big block cars by about '58 or 9.

9. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

If you plan on rebuilding the t-Bird be aware they are a unibody with a stamped steel rail along the rockers instead of a frame. Check the structure before you get too far into the car. it is worth the price in parts. I have a 60 and parts aren't a problem, there are several T-Bird parts dealers and a lot of parts are still available thru regular parts stores. Don't know about the interchange with the 58 300.

10. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Thanks guys for all of your help. I also got a rusty 46 Mercury short door coupe from her for $200.

11. Damn you better get a lotto ticket or several:D.

12. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

So with each post you acquired another item, what else did you get? Quit holding back! ;)
    What's left?
    Where's this located? Like you'd tell.

13. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Trust me Texas Webb, our "field find" cars up here in the Northeast are not even close to what you guys have down there. There isn't much left of the 46 that's savable. KoolKemp's post on his converting a sedan to a coupe was the main reason for this purchase. To convert my 48 2dr sedan into a short door coupe. There are other cars there also that I have agreed to work with her to possibly find new homes. There is a 62 ish impala or belair 4 door that has a lot of it's trim and taillights and stuff on it. Two 64 falcons which I still may end up with. And then some later 60's cars. There is also another rough 46-48 mercury short door with an Olds rocket motor in it with a homemade hurst style engine mount that she wants a little more money for. The only thing I wish the mercury coupe I bought had was the taillight housings and lenses. I love them and would like to find an affordable "driver quality" set. She wouldn't let me rob them off the other one. Once again, thanks for the words of encouragement. One other really rough car there is a 39 buick coupe. But it is really really rough.

BART

14. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

XPLETIV.....there is a 67 Baracuda fastback which is rough but complete with buckets and console and V8. A 67-68 XR7 Cougar with factory tach that is complete with frame rust. A 40's ford Panel which is missing it's doors. A 71 Torino GT which my son may end up with. A 72 Grand Torino. A 55 ford 4 dr which seen its better day. At one point, there were over 15 49-55 ford trucks which walked away in the middle of the night. So, the daughter is just tired of all the mess and is starting to just sell the stuff fast. She has some titles to the stuff seeing how her father had a Junk Yard permit. Oh, there is also a 73 charger complete car.

15. 55Brodie

55Brodie

I think the Bird grill is a 58.

16. studeynut

studeynut

Love the square birds, had 2 59's and a 60 years ago. That one looks like a 58 to me also, each year had a different grill, 59 had a tube grill. 58 has 2 tail lights per side and the 59 and 60 both had 3 per side if I remember right. I personally would buy it and the Galaxie wagon if the engine will turn over, the 390 will bolt right in.

17. evintho

evintho

Post more pics............PLEASE!!!

18. check where power steering ram fastens to frame ,usually pretty soft there

19. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Evintho......more pics of what? The tbird or all of the other stuff? I should be getting back out there in the next week or so, so I will see about taking some pictures. At one point, there were about 200 or more cars there. Lots of 70's and 80's Toyota and Volkswagen stuff but there was plenty of old stuff also. She sold a 30's dodge/Plymouth convertible that was about ready to fall through the floor of the barn loft for $2,000. That guy ripped her off. Another guy took the 50 or so motorcycles and minibikes for dirt cheap. She was overwhelmed and things just walked away. There was old and I mean old farm equipment, dozers, trailers, boats.....etc that the guys she paid to help clean up the property just had crushed before I heard about her. Two 67 nova hardtops with titles that got crushed, a 69 4 speed Camaro that went for a $1,000 with a title, a V8 converted Datsun 240Z and other stuff. Such a shame. I'm not a rich man but I am trying to make a deal for the most I can get for what I can spend. Story of my life. Oh, and by the way, another guy walked off with two 427 ford engines(one with tri power) for $300 with exhaust and bellhousings still attached. Thanks for your interest and assistance. Just to think, I only went out there to see if I could get the mercury taillights that I wanted :).

20. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

Wow, a gold mine to some!
    Wish people would quit crushing stuff for pennies.

21. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

OK....a little help here. The drivers door is stuck shut and the lock is in the "unlock" position but the door will not open from inside or outside. I want to get the door open to get to the VIN number so we can verify the title and get the ball rolling on this thing. Thanks.

22. skipperman

skipperman

23. Get the 59,57 and the parts car and never look back.

24. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Marry her and move in, then you won't have to haggle price with her or figure out which cars to buy.:cool:

With that many people cherry pickin the place I wouldn't wait another week to get back out there.

25. The grill and smooth side spears tell me it's a '58. '59 doors are a mess under the chrome trim piece.

26. just for the record....both 58s and 59s have only 2 tailights per side.
    I've always wanted to build a 58.....was it a factory stick car?

27. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

No. ..it's a factory automatic. Wish it were a sick but I have a clutch pedal setup out of a 58 custom 300 I may be able to use.

28. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Well, went out to the tbird again. It is a 58. Believe it not, the frame is actually good and the floors are even solid. The frame at the power steering ram as suggested is solid as is the frame by the rockers. Here's the bad.....the drivers door will not come open(from outside or inside) and it has seen its better day. So I guess I'll be looking for a drivers door. Would this car have had a yblock since it was a 58? Once again, thanks for all of you guys help. BART.

29. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

=======

This suggests in '58 the 352 was the one and only engine option.
    http://www.lov2xlr8.no/brochures/ford/58tb/bilder/3.jpg

30. indyjps

indyjps

At those prices, I would be stocking up, rent space to store them for a while if needed. Even if you just pass them on with enough profit to pay for your time, it keeps them from getting crushed.

I came across an old stash a few years ago, was buying pallet racking out of an old furniture factory, a loading bay had 15 cars in it. Owners kids were gonna decide later on the cars, I called often on the cars, had storage lined up and 2 buddies with trailers willing to shuttle the cars for some trades. The person I was dealing with told me to stop calling, the cars were all gone so they could sell the building. I drove out there to verify, just to be sure I wasn't getting brushed off, they were gone. I didn't want them all, but they would have resold well and been worth the time and trouble. They all look to have been driven in and parked.

57 210 ancient slicks, 4 spd, vintage sbc, old drag car.
    Volvo p1800
    Caddy's from early to late 60's
    Couple early VW's, no split windows
    Some 70's cruisers, drivetrain donors

Sometimes the family just gets fed up and wants to be done.