Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Found a '31 ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JD Miller, Feb 29, 2024.

1. JD Miller

JD Miller

Thinking of accidentally buying it on purpose.

Its appears to be all there original best I can tell. I talked to the owners wife. Gonna go back for more looky. All the glass is unbroken, all the hup caps, trim etc etc appear to be there. Unmolested, original, best I can tell. It runs and drives. Yeah its a 4 door and not a 2 door coupe.

Im thinking its a pretty good deal or OBO . With the high price of cars now days. But I dont want to pay more than its worth, so not sure.
    Any opinions on value please.

Location is a secret too

drdave, guthriesmith, 2Blue2 and 2 others like this.
  2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looks like a good deal to me. Couldn’t buy a coupe body that nice, body alone, for that lately.

@drdave built a pretty bitchin 4 door out of something not so different

drdave and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  3. JD Miller

JD Miller

Does it have newer year rims and hub caps on it? Lug nuts are concealed, larger hub caps ....

If it was a coupe I would be trailering it home right now

Last edited: Feb 29, 2024
    Tow Truck Tom likes this.
  4. spudshaft

spudshaft

Offer $4500 and take it home. I’d buy it 100% for the asking price.

SS327 and Tow Truck Tom like this.

5. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like a good price for a good car. But give it a good going over. And under. Take a flashlight and look for rust and take a magnet with you to check for too much body filler. And of course take it for a good test drive. No major problems, good price for a good car.
    But still offer less. $4,000 and go from there.

SS327 and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  6. Nuthin' wrong with a Fordor!!! The price looks good of the car is decent....Go for it!

7. I would hold out for a slant window (introduced slightly after the start of 1931), they had almost no wood in the body.

Charlie Stephens

greener200 likes this.
  8. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

Get it, or wish you had, your choice.

9. gatz

gatz

Looks real nice and original. IMO, buy it ! If you don’t, you’ll wish you had.

10. JD Miller

JD Miller

It is a slant windsheild. 1931 had a slant windshied . Owner has another exact 1931 car all restored with same slant windshield. Someone added that windshield visor.
    Just got back from looking at it again. Has '32 rims. Owner stole the original ford cowl lights, taillight and put on his restored car. Motor runs but is worn. I watched it. He said he pulled the head to free up the valves. Says he has title but he didnt show it to me. Owner Says his friend has first dibs and 2 weeks to come up with the cash, but he thinks the guy wont come up with any money and I got second grabs on it. I'll call him in a couple few days and tell him I have Cash in my hand. Ill have to see it roll and drive, listed for bad bearings, insist on seeing the title

You can see the front pass fender is tweeked bad. Appears to have hardly any rust. No rust in bottom of doors , I even checked inside, backside of the door. Little rust spot inside pass side rear wheel well. Cab top has some one installed sheet metal long ago.
    Car Show ready :D

Last edited: Mar 1, 2024
    SS327, guthriesmith and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  11. snoc653

snoc653
    from Iowa

So the person selling the car, knows exactly what the car is worth, what he has in, has taken the parts he wanted from it, and knows how much those parts were worth and where he stands in the deal overall. The seller is not selling it to loose money or even break even. He will make money in the long run. It is still a nice looking car and a great starting point for a project. Only you know what the car is worth to you. But, don't buy it, because you feel you are getting a great deal. But, given what it is, where it is in relationship to you, and the likelihood of finding another comparable car in the future. Good luck with your project.

12. 5window

5window

Looks worth more than asking price even in Idaho. probably $8-9K here in PA

13. After looking at your photo again I still don't see the slant windshield. Do you have any pictures from the side? Early 1931 sedans were a straight window with a sun visor and they changed later to the slant. The importance goes beyond appearance. The 4-door cars with a straight window had a large amount of wood in the body/doors. Because of this they are difficult and expensive to restore if the wood is bad. The 4-door slant window had a very small amount of wood. Several years ago I was looking for a 1931 slant window but ended up with a 32 4-door which is very similar in the amount of wood. I have attached a picture of a slant window taken at a local show. Note the "bent spoke" Kelsey wheels.

IMG_7552.jpeg

Check the title very carefully. The number on an old title should match the number on the engine. The number on the engine should have the correct font and not just be something that was stamped in there with number stamps from Harbor Freight. The same number should appear under the body on the frame but the body must be lifted to see it. Several years ago California stopped using the engine number and began attaching an id plate to the door jam, you may find something similar for your state. Second attached photo shows a California ID plate on the door jam of my Model A.

IMG_5943.jpeg

Charlie Stephens

14. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Car looks very fair /decent condition from the pics, even for a four dr that a reasonable $

15. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

I know a fella just over the border in washington with a coupe for sale... not as nice but if youre gonna tear it down n build a rod anyway....

16. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The asking price here for a comparable one is about twice what that one is.