Register now to get rid of these ads!

Forum Picture Posting Tutorial

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by Brad S., Feb 8, 2005.

1. Brad S.

Brad S.

Ok....I've seen a lot of posts with folks asking how to post pics.
    I know some people have felt a little embarrassed about it but it's no big deal.

I'll try and lay this out easy with some graphics and maybe this will walk you through the process the next time you want to post some pics up.

Let's get started.

I use www.imageshack.us for my picture hosting on forums. It's a free service that does not require registration and is almost completely "newbie" proof.

When you open imageshack, you'll see a screen like the one below.
    Select the BROWSE button.

[​IMG]

When you select the BROWSE button, you'll get a new window.

[​IMG]

This window should be pointed at the "My Pictures" folder on your computer. If your image is located somewhere else, use the icons on the left of the window or use the "Up" icon at the top to find the folder where your image is stored.

Once selected, your image should show up in the previously empty "file" window. Go to the bottom of the page and hit "Host It!"

[​IMG]

Easy enough!

Ok...now to get that image to H.A.M.B.

I want to post this image straight up, no thumbnail. HAMB is a PHP based forum so it uses some simple code. We need to look for the tag that starts with [​IMG]. Anything in the middle of that tag is a URL or direct link to your image on imageshacks servers.

LEFT CLICK in that block and you will highlight the whole row. Once it's highlighted, RIGHT CLICK and select COPY from the drop down menu.

[​IMG]

Now....go back to your "MESSAGE BOX" on the HAMB forums.

In the box use your left mouse button and click once. You will se the flashing cursor. At this point hit "CTRL" and hold it, then hit the letter "V" key. This will PASTE that code into the forum. You should see something like this:

[​IMG]

When done....hit the Preview Post button. This should display your image inthe PREVIEW area above the MESSAGE BOX.

[​IMG]

I hope this helps!

2. xtralow

xtralow
    from So Cal

Xcellent Tutorial!,Thanks!- Xtralow :cool:

3. This should get pinned , good info-MIKE:D

4. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Thanks bud! I'm sure this will be a HUGE help to lots. Appreciate you taking the time and effort to post the info.

5. TRIUMPH TERROR

TRIUMPH TERROR

Attached Files:

6. Brad S.

Brad S.

Thanks for the kudos all.

{Oh....and that Trumpet rocks. I love it when someone decks out an old brit bike like that.}

I was going to include something about "clickable thumbs" but the forum code and description is right there on the image.

7. Brad S.

Brad S.

Bump this if you use the advice.

8. Thanks Blacky

My work computer has "more firewalls than the Ford company" and This has been the only way I could post a photo on the company computer...!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Brad S.

Brad S.

w00t! Texans! Gotta love them.

10. snortonnorton

snortonnorton
    from Florida

blacksix,

what program do you use to "screen capture" images straight from your desktop, those are really helpuf.?

thanks

11. Brad S.

Brad S.

I use a combination of programs really.

For the stuff I did above I used Macromedia Fireworks.
    I take a screen with Windows using <ctrl-print screen> and then paste it into Fireworks for editing.

You may get the same functionality by using <ctrl-print screen> and then pasting it into MS Paint or another editing program. I've never tried so your mileage may vary.

For other small screen grabs, for when I "know" exactly what part of the screen I want to catch, I use the "screen clip" function in Microsoft One Notes. You can download One Notes and install it for the trial period and the screen clip function will still work after the trial. :D

The Fireworks is part of the MX suite from Macromedia. I also use Photoshop on occasion when I need to make something hectic.

12. Antibilly

Antibilly

13. Antibilly

Antibilly

14. Antibilly

Antibilly

15. GO-rilla

GO-rilla

test
    img106.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img106

16. KoppaK

KoppaK

Worked ok before now WTF is going on...help![​IMG] Just want thumbnails

17. Thanks for the info

18. alittle1

alittle1

19. Yea..., it's nice having a bunch of friends that own them...!:cool:

Especially when they let you fly them...!:D

20. Brad S.

Brad S.

::envious of those who can fly in a Warbird::

bttt

21. Brad S.

Brad S.

22. hotrodxheart

hotrodxheart
    from Boston, MA

23. hotrodxheart

hotrodxheart
    from Boston, MA

24. Chandler

Chandler
    from Rowlett,TX

[​IMG]

testing it out

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  25. Chandler

Chandler
    from Rowlett,TX

oops. I see what i did wrong. thanks for the advice on how to do it.

26. chopndrop

chopndrop

27. Brad S.

Brad S.

28. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Great tutorial, but you didn't show how to remote link images if they're already being hosted.

First, find any picture you like on the internet. I like '57 DeSotos, let's take a look at one. From this website (http://www.loti.com/cars2.html) I found a car that I like, the little aqua and white hardtop. When you click on the thumbnail, the image appears.

You can then copy the url in the address bar to get an image that appears on the webpage you are posting to. Just place it inside links like this (but put a "/" before the img in the second set of brackets.

http://www.loti.com/57desoto%20car%20show2.jpg[img]

It comes out looking like this.

[img]http://www.loti.com/57desoto%20car%20show2.jpg

----------------------

Other times, you will find an image, but there is no apparent link to the image. You can also get these.

Here's another '57 DeSoto, this time an Adventurer convertible. http://www.57heaven.com/AdventurerConv.html

Just right click the large image, go to Properties, and you will see a field for "Address (URL)." Copy every bit of text all the way up to the .jpg file name. In this case, it is http://www.57heaven.com/Images/desotoadventurerconv.jpg and if you put it inside the image tags, it looks like this:

[​IMG]

----------------------------

And still other times you will find that remote linking is forbidden. Here's a cool '57 Firesweep that I found on this page: http://www.1957desoto.150m.com/page52.html

I am trying to get the image http://www.1957desoto.150m.com/images/57_118_s25.jpg to appear, but it will not link remotely.

[​IMG]

This one comes up as a red X because the site won't let me link to their image.

You either have to type the URL as I did, or save it on your computer, and either host it yourself or upload it to the HAMB.

Good luck,
    Danny