Register now to get rid of these ads!

Formula for cam acceleration

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Buzz, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Buzz

Buzz
    from Illinois

I was wondering if there is a formula for figuring increased, cam acceleration based on an increase in lifter diameter. I am building a Flathead Dragster and I will be using Studebaker 6 cylinder lifters, which are 3/16" larger in diameter than the stock Flathead lifter. Any input would be appreciated.

2. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not a big flatty guy, but speaking as an all around hot rod motor guy....Aren't there cams readily available that can give you the aggressive ramp rate you are looking for without having to change th elifter bore diameter? Or is this one of those "old speed seceret" kind of things?

I have used Crower and Clay Smith in the past for custom ground stuff and have found they can make just about anything you want, if they don't have it already. (hyd or solid roller, mushroom lifter , etc.)

PS. Anybody building a flat head dragster is probally OK in most guys book, but it wouldn't hurt to do an intro (if you haven't already) so nobody freaks out.

See ya, -Abone.

3. I suspect the math involved would be VERY complex.
    Is there enough material in the block to handle this modification?