Register now to get rid of these ads!

FORMING A FENDER LIP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BUICKNAILHEAD, Nov 8, 2003.

1. BUICKNAILHEAD

BUICKNAILHEAD

Just curious as to who has done this yet? I am looking into customizing the rear 1/4's on my Buick and want to make a wooden mold/form template for the lip. Anything I should look into before getting started? I want a pure custom style lip. [​IMG]

2. old beet

old beet

We used to start with a half inch pipe to get the shape desired.....OLDBEET

3. Not sure just what you have in mind as far as shape, but I built some rear fenders for a model A. I used 1/2 square tube for the "lip", formed around a wood buck. Then I split it to make two matching sides. The pics are on another computer, pm me if want to see them.

4. [ QUOTE ]
    and want to make a wooden mold/form template for the lip.

[/ QUOTE ] Check out this:Hammerforming demo

5. BUICKNAILHEAD

BUICKNAILHEAD

cool.. thanks for the info... [​IMG]

6. Take a good wood baseball bat, and stick it between the tire and quarter. Drive back and forth until the bat rolls out a nice lip. Dave

7. BUICKNAILHEAD

BUICKNAILHEAD

I was thinking of a more intelligent reply.

8. Gary,you can use 3/8" fuel line to make your lip too.I think ol'beet was thinkin a lil big,but then again hes always workin on big cars........Shiny

9. BUICKNAILHEAD

BUICKNAILHEAD

you guys are killing me [​IMG]

10. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I put a set of flared wheel well lips on a 'late model' car a while back. I used a piece of 18 ga. steel, bent into a 90* piece. Then used a shrinker stretcher to form out the opening, i.e., the inner piece, and the part which is parallel to the body. Then I cut out a series of pieces to connect the lip to the body, and formed them over a piece of 2" tubing, to have a concave curve back into the body. I took some pics of some of the construction, if you're interested. It makes a lip very similar, if not exactly like, a late 50's wheel opening.

11. BUICKNAILHEAD

BUICKNAILHEAD

sure send the pics most definitly [​IMG]

12. Curt Six

Curt Six

Or better yet POST some pics! By the way, the kopper kart is looking very cool...
    Curt