Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Forged axle ends

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deuce1932, Apr 13, 2020.

1. deuce1932

deuce1932
    from Australia

Hi guys.. would anyone be able to point me in the direction
    of a supplier of forged axle ends.. i.e. like the pic..?
    I've looked but havent found any.
    Thanks in advance

axle end_001.jpg

2. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

You might try Magnum Axle Company. I think their ends are forged?

Pewsplace and porknbeaner like this.
  3. Good idea here^^^^^^
    You may also give Pete and Jakes a call. Originally Bell Axles (owned by Pete and Jakes) were tube axles with forged ends welded in. They sometimes can come up with some of their old stuff (lots of times actually). No guarantees but its a shot.

4. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

Not to disagree with you porkandbeaner but unless they have changed P&J tube axles/Super Bell tube axles were ductile iron ends and that is why they had problems with the axles cracking where the ends were welded on the tube until they they started spud welding them thru the tube back from the main weld. In the early days I had 2 super Bell tube axles fail in the weld for that reason and that is why they recommended you not dress the weld smooth when you were chrome plating them. Only forged ends used to be the now defunct Vintage Chassis Works and Magnum Axle. I was corrected below that the tube axle deal from Vintage Chassis was sold to Flatlanders.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    saltracer219 and Fordors like this.

5. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

Vintage Chassis works was sold to Alan Thorton "Flantlanders' in Norfolk va .Also Flatlanders here on HAMB ..I'm sure he can help you with this answer...

town sedan likes this.
  6. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

You are correct and I am wrong. I now remember Alan bought the tube axle part of Vintage Chassis Works and CE bought the I beam axle division. When I first ordered an I beam from CE they still had VCW on the end suggesting they were using some of the stock they obtained from Vintage?

jackandeuces likes this.
  7. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

I liked VCW & CE because they were forged...

8. the flatlander

the flatlander

OK y'all here's the skinny: yep, I bought VCW from John Fenton (RIP '18) in early 90's, along with the perch & lower shock mount & d.bk. adapter program. I made several hundred or more axles ; 46 thru 48.5 & some "specials". Even some without perch bosses for par. leaf cars. You could smooth out the welds without cause. Jon Wright(Custom Chrome in Ohio),chromed many axles for us in those days. We also sold CE axles & they sold ours. At one time I shipped pallets of axles to TCI. Never had one comeback. When I decided to pack up (2006) , & move to Redneck country, get remarried, and build a house on "the Farm", I sold VCW to Gerry & Allen @ Borgeson Universal Co. Great guys ! At that time they were going to move into suspension parts. I trained the staff & they sold axles. But, later decided ,I guess to focus on the core business & sold to Magnum in Ca. (p/s : I sold the fiberglass body business to New Age in Ct.) I had fun playing Hot Rod for 35 years in Va. I do miss the customers & employees (when something here is heavy). I still build some chassis & hot rod repair in my shop but not much retail.(guess we all have seen the turndown in 32/34 cars & parts selling). I am a fan of Pete & Jakes , & am really glad they stepped up & bought the CE axle deal. I have used them & they are great...again. OK , yes I might can help the guy looking for forged ends. I think I have a pair or two that are machined & maybe some not machined. Extras I found when moving. I have a couple extra built axles too. Email / text Alan 336 302 6091 [email protected] thx. hot rods forever !

Pewsplace, Algoma56, Budget36 and 2 others like this.
  9. deuce1932

deuce1932
    from Australia

Thanks guys for your help.. greatly appreciated.
    Have found a set & their on the way down under..
    Stay safe up there...
    cheers