Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Fordomatic Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Malarky, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Malarky

Malarky

I noticed some fluid seeping out from around the shift linkage on my transmission.
    The car is a 62 Mercury Monterey with a 292 Y block and automatic 2 speed trans.
    So i removed the linkage and got the o ring out (which I'm assuming was the problem) Problem now is, I can not find a replacement or a part number for this seal.

I did order a new seal for a cruiseomatic but it was not the right size. I guess there are several types of fordomatics/cruiseomatic??? The part was described as "shift linkage o ring for cruiseomatic"...Well apparently it does not fit the FM2 trans.

I found a new o ring for a sink that seems to fit really well but im not sure if I can use just any ring that fits or do i need a specific one???

h[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. PackardV8

PackardV8

It's worked for me. I keep a generic O-ring assortment kit on hand and haven't had a problem using them in transmissions.

jackvines

3. Malarky

Malarky

Ok so just use whatever fits? I'd really like it to work out first try because you gotta drop the pan and remove some stuff to get at it. Not exactly an easy job.

Also if anyone that reads this happens to know if the under-side of the pan around the bolt holes is supposed to be indented around each hole? It seems to me that it should be completely flat. I'm not sure if someone torqued down too much on the bolts in the past or if it's supposed to be like that. The pan was leaking at the gasket also and i'm wondering if that's why. I'll snap a pic later to better explain what I mean.

4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Should be flat around the bolt holes.
    Have you stopped at a tranny shop they will have gobs of O rings

5. Malarky

Malarky

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420427786.898890.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420427822.783953.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. Malarky

Malarky

That look normal, or do I need a new pan?

7. I would use a dolly and flatten that out.

8. Not normal - NO you don't need a new pan. Place the pan flange on something solid and tap lightly on each hole with a hammer until flange is level//flat. Install with a new gskt and you're good to go. Good luck. :)

9. Malarky

Malarky

Ok, cool. Thanks.

10. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Lay the flange on a piece of 2x4 and tap the holes flat. You need to back up the metal with something to keep it straight.

The seal looks like a plain neoprene O ring. Faucets use the same O ring at least some faucets do. If you are in doubt, any hardware store or auto supply sells O rings for pennies.

11. Malarky

Malarky

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1422113141.464287.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1422113190.778658.jpg

I got it pretty flat using a hand press at work and I used that o ring that seemed to fit well. I used plenty of sealant on the pan because it seemed like the right thing to do. Hope she holds. Thanks for the help.

12. paleot

paleot
    from louisiana

Check what the recommended torque is, most people over tighten pans over cork or neoprene gaskets. Common cause of the pan looking like yours.

13. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There should be a torque spec for the pan bolts. Over tightening those bolts will distort the pan again and might lead to additional leaks.