Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fordman1's 1950 Ford Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordman1, Mar 1, 2012.

1. fordman1

fordman1

I have been lurking for a long time and now a member for a while as well, though I don't post very often. Long story short, I bought a 1950 ford shell off Craigslist for cheap and was trying to get it done for my wedding in July. It has been a learning experience for sure. My plan was to use the S10 Frame, a 350 Chevy I had, air bags all around and make it a driver for a while until it could go the mild custom route. While searching for more missing parts I came across another car this weekend, went and saw it and pulled the trigger on buying it since my budget for everything I still needed was the price of the second car. Now I am going to get this stocker up and running and head the late 50s mild custom route with everything mostly stock. First up is to get it back up and running (supposedly was driven as recently as July), adjust the brakes (rebuilt last year) and get it do driver status. Aerostar coils and blocks will be the first purchase to get the stance closer. Recover the seats and convert to 12v will be up next. Thankfully with all the info on here and Shoeboxford.com, I have months of reading and work to do! I am looking forward to driving it and making incrimental changes along the way. This may even drive me to start a thread for my T bucket to track its changes as well.:)

Attached Files:

2. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

Cool.. So now you have a parts car to get parts off of and build a custom after the first is running

3. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

4. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

the blue one looks like a cream puff , good score ,

5. Willy301

Willy301

I am so glad you found a better platform and not having to do the S10 frame swap, I think you will be happier in the end...

6. lincolnhead

lincolnhead
    from Marysville

I almost picked that one up when it was on CL. Good score!

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

nice ride - more fun to drive something than keep working on a long term project. member of Shoebox Ford Group here?

8. Looks sweet. Why were you planning to swap the frame?

9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

So it would ride & handle like those cute little Datsun pickups, silly.

10. fordman1

fordman1

Glad I got it from the guy of Clist before you then!

Let me clarify, the rougher of the two came on an S10 frame, but that brought about its on problems (kick up, etc.).

I am on the Shoebox group already, I started reading and searching a while ago!

I am not totally against modern stuff, but I am going to start with original components and update as necessary. Not planning on an S10 clip or anything right now, or a SBC.:)

My fiance gave the green light on the condition the second car go, so it will be up for sale shortly!

11. fordman1

fordman1

Spent the evening going through parts for both cars and sorting, but I was surprised with the result. Mostly taking extra parts from the light blue car and putting them in the "sell" pile. More work tonight getting one ready to sell and the other ready to drive! More pics when it isn't raining or dark out.

12. fordman1

fordman1

So for now I am planning to rebuild the brakes/master cylinder, make sure the rad will hold some coolant, go through the wiring harness covering all exposed wires with tape and see if I can get it to fire up. Hopefully I don't have to rewire the whole car immediately. Also hoping I can hold out on upgrading the brakes until it is just what I want to do. Gas tank was removed and cleaned by previous owner so that looks pretty good. I think the windshield rubber molding is missing the piece that spreads it apart and so it is not tight (thus leaking). I did find plates and current tabs in the trunk so that could be yet another bonus. My other car is up for sale on Craigslist now as well and soon to be on here.

Green bible is in the mail to me! Any other suggestions on what to do first?

13. fordman1

fordman1

That is funny since I already have it printed and read it on my way back and forth to work, it is great info!

14. fordman1

fordman1

Forgot I had some update photos with the seat in. Also my patient fiance, that allows my sickness to continue. Looking forward to some work this weekend! How do you like the diamond pattern door cards? I am digging it. Thinking of changing the wheels and dash to a dark blue later down the road (much later considering all the stuff that needs to be fixed first!).

Attached Files:

15. fordman1

fordman1

So in my quest to get it up and running I have ran into a snag. It currently has an 8 volt battery in it that has tested bad. Eventually I will upgrade to all 12v, but for now I just want it running. Do I buy another 8 volt battery or go with a more common 6 volt? Also it is looking llike the radiator will need to be rebuilt. I have electrical tape wrapped any bare wires for a stop gap measure. Hoping to fire it next weekend!

16. daddio211

daddio211

Go with a 6V since you intend to replace it anyway. I think 8V batteries are a lot more expensive!

17. 54Mercruiser

54Mercruiser

Man, do I know the feeling of CL addiction. That's how we ended up with 4 52-54 Mercs and a 38 Deluxe sedan...lol

Looking good and keep up the good work.

18. fordman1

fordman1

So I got some more work done, pulled the radiator (was leaking), tried turning it over with a 12v (8v is gone and will be replaced with a 6v) and it tried to start!, dumped gas into the carb and it leaked everywhere (tore it apart and it is shot), pulled the master cylinder for a rebuild and that about killed the day.

Looking at adapting a Holley 94 (same as what I have on my 239 flattie in the T), rebuilding the radiator at a local shop and may have to step up to a new master cylinder from Joblot if the rebuild kit doesn't work out. Hoping to get to DMV this week as well. Hoping lots of crap sells at the Portland Swap Meet so i can buy more parts! Also still have my other 50 project if someone wants to take that off my hands.

Attached Files:

19. fordman1

fordman1

Picked up another carb, a new gas tank and a 1950 Oregon license plate at the swap meet. Going to pick up a 6v battery this week and hopefully drop off the radiator. Will look at another 226 from craigslist for parts also. Hopefully I get the carb rebuild kit soon and my buddy grabs his hones for the MC rebuild. I am hoping for two weeks to fire it up and drive!

20. fordman1

fordman1

Grabbed a 6 volt battery and dropped off the radiator to get checked out, plus I will have them test the new gas tank when the radiator is ready. Went about rebuilding the carb and everything went great until I got greedy and wanted to swap the butterfly between the old carb and the new one, now the screws are stuck and I have to get them out, may try a really small hole through the brass screw and an easy out. Also through Shoeboxford.com I met Cliff who gave me old winshield glass as it appears that the "new" glass mine came with was cut too small and thus the seal did not seal and was leaking water into the car. Not only did he come to my place, no charge, then imparted quite a bit of knowledge. He deciphered the numbers stamped on the firewall waterfall portion too. Spent the rest of the day cruising in the T bucket. Not a bad saturday!

21. fordman1

fordman1

Radiator is toast and Mac's wants 480 to recore it, so I am looking for either another 6 cylinder radiator in good condition close by or for an aluminum radiator that I can make work. I also got my "free" windshield installed and it seals WAY better. Took off the diamond pattern door cards and worked the door and window mechanisms free. 60 days till this baby needs to be ready to roll, need to start putting in more time! Also couldn't get the end of the MC off so may have to go with a brand new one, shoot more money.

22. fordman1

fordman1

Got some parts, still need to install the master cylinder and waiting for the rebuilt radiator to be ready to go. Had to drain quite a few gallons of old gas from the tank before I could drop it and get ready for the new one. Put in the 51 Ford rear shackles and getting ready for the lowering kit. Installed the choke but need to hook it up, hopefully a 94 bracket will work on the 1 bbl. If I could just sell that other damn car I could fund the parts I need to fire this baby up! Hopefully sometime next week. Also got the emblems on and the plate. Almost ready to roll....

Attached Files:

23. fordman1

fordman1

The master cylinder is in and the brakes are bled. Ready to install the gas tank and radiator, should then be time to fire it up! Still need to work out the ignition switch and trace all the wires that don't work. The seats are haggard so I need to have some sort of cover made soon as well or else my fiance will not ride in it. I think I will pay the entrance fee for NW Billetproof in Chehalis and that will push me to get more done!

24. fordman1

fordman1

Got a lot done today! Changed the oil, put on the generator belt, added gear oil to the trans and rear (both were very low), added an extension to the rusted off tail pipe and scored some turned drums off of Craigslist so I spent the morning packing the bearings with grease and getting those all in. Thankfully at least the previous owner had installed new brake shoes and cylinders. Next up is installing the gas tank, lowering springs and shocks, lowering blocks in the rear. Hopefullly by then the radiator will be done! Pictures later.

25. fordman1

fordman1

Got more done today, sold my other 1950 Ford and got half the front suspension done. The Aerostar spring and new shock are in on the passenger side. Ordered up some more parts to prepare for getting her out on the road.

26. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Great - a heck of a score , and almost roadworthy already !

27. fordman1

fordman1

Some pictures from the weekend of the car, brakes, gas tank, exhaust tip and suspension install. Plus the other 50 leaving!

Attached Files:

28. fordman1

fordman1

Well the radiator still isn't fixed, but that didn't stop me this weekend! I got the front end done (except the new brake hoses), got the gas tank in with new sender (though not hooked up as the existing just had a bare wire off it), got a choke clamp set up on the carb and got the rear lowering done. So I bought new u bolts custom made from Benz spring in Portland to fit the 2 7/8 axles and was already to through in my Speedway Aluminum 3" blocks, but they were too wide. So a 10 minute operation turned into 2 hours to fab up some narrow ones out of steel. Then of course I bolted them in only to find the axles is too high in the frame to allow the tires to be bolted on, so back down it came to put the tires on and then the blocks. That will be fun on the side of the road. Also the back springs are so saggy that they rest on the frame so I will flame cut some longer shackles for the time being as the rear is pretty damn low anyway. I may cut a quarter or half loop out of the front too. Dennis Carpenter shipment should be here tomorrow so that and the radiator should put me to starting it up hopefully sunday. Also worked on the trunk that doesnt latch and I think maybe the cylinder is locked and that is why it won't latch. Oh well, just another thing to do!

Attached Files:

29. fordman1

fordman1

Started cutting up new shackles tonight, felt my leg getting warm and noticed I had lit my coveralls on fire, fun end to a long day!