Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford wishbone lengths?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Adam F, Dec 15, 2004.

1. Adam F

Adam F

Hey Guys,

I am needing to find out the lengths of various ford wishbones. I've found a chart with axle dimensions, but can't find the equivalent for the bones...

Basically I am runnning a 36 axle and wishbone. The axle is stuffed so I am wanting to change over to a spare 37-41 axle and bone that I have. But I cant measure the bone length. Will the 37-41 bones be the same length as the 36?

I believe ( from what I have read) that the radius rod bosses are different so I wont be able to use the 37-41 axle in the earlier bones....

As a side note, will the 37-41 axel, which has a shorter distance between radius rod boss and kinpin boss look stoopid?

Thanks for any info...

Adam F

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I believe the whole assembly will fit. Later axles are harder to drop because of short end.

3. Adam F

Adam F

Thanks Bruce!

4. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I think Street Rodder did an article on axles & wishbones a year or so ago...I have no idea of the issue, but I'll try to look.

However, I've learned Bruce is usually right when it comes to this stuff!

5. kustomkoupe

kustomkoupe

i think i have the street rodder with that in...i beleive theres a green 35/36 pheaton on the cover...im at work so i have no idea on the date but im pretty sure thats the cover car?

zach

6. Elmo Rodge

Elmo Rodge

June 2003, ppg 174/176. Wayno

7. gashog

gashog

The June 2003 StreedRodder has the axle comparison chart that we see all the time and lots of good info on axles but no info on wishbones. Does anyone know of a similar chart/article that compares the dimensions of wishbones?

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

do a search on Ford axle dimensions...I'm pretty sure at least one of the several big ones contains wishbone numbers.
    Be aware the there will be 3 different WIDTHS of wishbone between perches, 2 different spans of the part that grips the axle, and then a bunch of lengths of the actual side members. The '36 and '37 examples above, for example, will have different spans between perches across car, AND different spans of the forgings that take the perch pins...

9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

10. tinmann

tinmann

I hope this doesn't come across as a thread hi-jack since it's in the same vein as what Bruce is after. I'm planning to put an unsplit wishbone in the front of my deuce but unfortunately I don't have a '32 wish bone. So I have a '39 'bone dummied in there and it looks to me that if I cut the original weld back by the forged yoke, insert a stubby piece of bar stock and piece on a short length from another 'bone and re-weld it to the yoke, I'll be good to go. I may put a plate "web" to further strenghten my addition. Will this work? What are the dimensions of a stock '32 bone ( spring perch hole centre to centre and pivot ball to spring perch centre)?

11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

PM me with a list of dimensions needed--I have a '32 wishbone loose right now and can measure it up, perhaps over the weekend. If I don't report in Monday, there was a cave-in as I dug the thing out of the iron library...

bct likes this.
  12. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

It occurs to me that you will have to map out the bell/trans area very carefully to see if things will fit, too...the '32 has a wider yoke at the rear than post-'34 ones, and you will have to study issues in this area. Bruce

13. tinmann

tinmann

I hear you Bruce, I have many issues to study. The frame isn't even in the frame jig yet. I'm just trying to find the major pieces, dummy them into place and do a body-on look and then start blowing it all apart to go together in the right sequence with very limited boxing.

Daryl

14. gashog

gashog

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  15. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

this is the type of stuff we need a database for....hats off to ya!

maybe some of the "experts" could comb through and check it...

16. Thanks for the info.
    Max

17. roundvalley

roundvalley

18. OLLIN

OLLIN

awesome thread, very helpful! Im trying to set up my front suspension now...