Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford wishbone balls-Differences?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NYfatboy, Oct 10, 2008.

1. NYfatboy

NYfatboy

I know this will seem stupid,but what is the difference between the ball for the front wishbone? I have a 36 ford and I didnt want to split the bones,so I bought a spacer from Chassis engineering for a 48 to just drop it.Its too big for the 36. Can I just use the cap from a 48,or what? Appreciate any hints,Thanks!

2. outagas

outagas

Did you get the rubber ball bushing that goes with the Ball? That will take a lot of the size difference out of your equation.

3. NYfatboy

NYfatboy

Yes ,got the ball,there is a big differrence in bolt spacing.Thanks

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Use 2 1932-36 caps, weld the extra one in place in the spacer. If you don't have the extra, I think Tardel makes them. You could probably also pop a late rubber ball around a '36 rubber ball, but that would be sloppy.

5. NYfatboy

NYfatboy

Thanks Bruce!

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Another thing...your new 2-cap piece will be a loose part til you weldit; this means you can leave it loosely attached by bolts for now, so that when car is close to finished and at ride height you can move the socket to final adjust your caster, then do final welding to the frame.