Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford wheel question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Domino, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Domino

Domino

What year did Ford change their steel wheels? At some point they did away with the bumps that hold the center caps on. I am looking for one more of these to use as a spare for my car. I have trim rings I pulled off of a mid 80s Chevy van and I plan to run Spyder caps with narrow white walls.

[​IMG]

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

My guess is '79 and/or later full size (Crown Vic and Merc Grand Marquis)

A salvage yard can look them up in the Hollander Interchange and answer the question with certainty.

Ray

3. Domino

Domino

That gives me a starting point. I am supposed to go look at some wheels this week off of a 76 Torino. The owner said they are off of a later model full size car, but he wasn't sure. The yards around here are stingy with interchange info and told me they didn't have any of the wheels like I need. I know a few of them actually do have some, but they don't want to pull one. I have resorted to buying one from an individual at this point.

4. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

Just be careful with what you buy. Big Fords of some yrs were 5 on 5. Ask me
    how I know!

5. Look for 1980's Lincoln Town Cars also.

They're all 15" wheels that I've seen. Some of the Crown Vic's had 14's IIRC.

6. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've seen quite a few late 60's thru 70's Lincoln 15" wheels with "No Bumps" at the local Pull A Part...

7. greg

greg

Be sure and check the center hole dia. also. I have a whole stack of ford wheels that wont work on my car. I just piled them next to all the other wrong stuff I have bought over the years.:rolleyes:

8. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

You might try Craigslist too. People always seem to have steel wheels around their yards they want to be rid of.

9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

That's why "Pick-N-Pull" & "Pick-A-Part" type yards are so popular. You pay $2, sign a waiver, and take your tools in and get your own parts! Take a camera-phone with, so you can photo and remember what you have to compare with.
    My neighbor is a Chev addict, found a little Chevy short van with V8. He pulled the doghouse, and the engine was a Goodwrench Crate Type! (so fresh none of the paint was worn off!) He sat right there while he cell phoned his brother, who came with more tools and they removed that mill and got it for $90!!! It WAS fresh, BTW. Dropped it in his Chevelle and is smooth as glass.