Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford wheel patterns and options.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by palepainter, May 4, 2014.

1. palepainter

palepainter

I have been researching parts and pieces for my front end on my future build. I have the opportunity to pick up a 56 or 62 Ford truck front axle for the car. The thing is, it has 5 on 5.5 and was wanting 5 on 4.5. What would be the least painless solution?

I would keep the 5.5, but am worried I wont be able to find a 4 in wide slotted mag to match that pattern.

Thanks in advance.

2. palepainter

palepainter

3. palepainter

palepainter

I guess the question would be how to deal with the 62 axle to get it to 5 on 4.5?

4. Adaptor plates, redrill the axle/brakes, redrill the wheels, replace the axle. Pick one.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would have to think that since the majority of guys who looked at the thread or title haven't got one clue as to what you are attempting to do or what you plan to use said axle on they and make that we can't really come up with a definitive answer.

Usually when you see a guy asking about using out of the norm traditional parts the first thought is "oh, crap another rat rod guy". Are you putting this under another Ford pickup, attempting to build a gasser or ?

As he said in post 4 having the hubs and drums is a possibility along with adapters being another but adapters usually push your wheels out too far on most rigs along with the cheapies being rather shaky as far as safety goes.

6. palepainter

palepainter

Yes. 1960 Falcon, gasser style. Sorry to trouble.

I'm not a fan of adapter plates, especially due to the fact that I'm trying to keep the width where it is at. Redrilling the rotors looks a bit questionable due to the shape of the hub on the discs.

7. Buy a brake kit, that will solve it. Its a pretty common axle they make kits for.

8. palepainter

palepainter

They have it for the 56..but not the kit for the 57-64 I will get that kit if I can pick up the 56 axle. If I end up with the 62, I haven't been able to find the kit for 5 on 4.5 pattern.

9. sunbeam

sunbeam

Econoline axle has the right pattern

10. palepainter

palepainter

I landed the complete 56 1/2 ton front end today for 75 bucks. I will be ordering the disc kit for the 5 on 4.5 from Speedway. Thanks for the input.