Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford Verses Chevy Starter?????????????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brigrat, Jul 23, 2019.

1. squirrel

squirrel

Most of the rebuilt Chevy starters you buy these days have a new aluminum nose, and it's machined pretty well....amazing what those Chinese can do when they put their mind to it

Beanscoot likes this.
  2. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

The Chinese, as well as South Koreans, can build very nice stuff- if they are directed too and paid accordingly. Much of the fault for "Cheap Chinese crap" can be traced back to the customer's price point. Bad thing is when they produce a near identical-looking copy of an American part, but inferior material and /or workmanship to hit the price point

3. theboss20

theboss20

If you have an OE type starter that works and you feel the need to change to a G/R starter you can always measure from the mounting surface to the drive gear on the starter that worked and then duplicate that measurement on the new starter and you should be close...talking GM starters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

"There was a shim made for Ford starters because of crank float caused by a worn crank button"

What's a crank button?

5. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Thank you for asking^^^^^^^^^^^
    I was afraid to!

6. sunbeam

sunbeam

Interchange Is more what you are used to look at the SBC my 64 starter won't fit on my 265 the holes are gone or my starter bolts are straight across but the starters are at an angle. Or like the guy down the block that put a 327 in his 56 with the 56 bellhousing because of the mounts. It didn't start because used the 64 fly wheel. How many valve cover or intake bolt patterns did SBC use.