Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Ford v. Ferrari... More Than a Movie.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Nov 19, 2019.

1. I haven't seen the movie yet.
    But I can't quite picture Ford as the David in this David and Goliath tale...
    Didn't Ford show up to Le Mans with 100 support people, nine cars (including a spare), seven spare engines, and 21 tons of spare parts? I heard they also had a machine shop in a trailer at the race...just in case...
    Just doesn't seem like David's story.
    Chappy

dan griffin, Baumi, brad2v and 4 others like this.
  2. GuyW

GuyW

Who knows? But tell me - how much knowledge was there of Burt Munro before "The World's Fastest Indian"??

3. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

I remember reading in one of the magazines that Ford was having trouble with windshields cracking in practice so new ones were made and hand delivered to France by a VP who flew them as personnel luggage.

Not sure about the "David " deal, but you better get out of the way when the steamroller is coming your way.

4. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Pretty close, the original magazine blurb was that when the guy showed up with his luggage, he said "Hi- I'm from Owens- Corning". The windshield problem came from a thin layer of hardening that made them brittle on some of the cars- the replacements were original formula

5. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Not to detract from Carroll Shelby or Ken Miles in any way it seems that Phil Remington was a H.A.M.B. type of guy.
    Designer, welder, grinder, all around skinned knuckles build any thing on wheels type of guy.
    I will see if the library has his bio.

Just Gary and tractorguy like this.
  6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Theater that my wife and were at watching this movie was evacuated - guessing about 1/3 of way through show and movie shut off with beeping sound, lights come, voice says to quietly leave theater - multi plex with people at all movies - outside gave no reason for kicking us out - handed out passes to another movie - not for today - looking online for info now

7. Agreed Chappy. I understand at the time Ferrari was the Goliath of Auto Racing but monetarily its more like Goliath came and beat David. The only reason Enzo started building road cars was to pay for the racing.

In 1966 Ford producted more then 2.2 million cars and Ferrari made 706.

In the documentary on this subject The 24 Hour War the Ferrari guys who were working on the team at the time said that Ford bought up the first class section of an airliner and shipped them over in first class and then kind of laughing that Ferrari had no where near that kind of money.

You always wonder if these stories get exaggerated over the years but his point was that they were not playing with the same bankroll.

brad2v likes this.
  8. lake_harley

lake_harley

I'm on vacation and just finished reading one of the books that I think was suggested earlier in this thread, or maybe another thread about the movie, "Go Like Hell". Generally, the reading I do is on the internet, forums like the HAMB and others, and magazines. I finished the book in under 3 days, on the beach, around the pool, and kicking back at our vacation rental. I was addicted and enjoyed the book so much I might not even bother going to see the movie.

Lynn

rockable likes this.
  9. mgermca

mgermca

"Because it means the door is a bit wider open to tell other compelling car stories to the larger world. Stories of the real hot rod legends that we love."..... for God's sakes Jive man..... the GT40 guys WERE real hot rodders!

Phil Remington not a real hot rodder? ;)

Looking forward to seeing it, thanks for the write up!

wraymen likes this.
  10. I stand corrected, Smarty Pants. ;)

5window and theHIGHLANDER like this.
  11. Speed~On

Speed~On

I brought my 9 year old son this past Saturday. We really enjoyed the film. Glad they focused heavily on racing and the challenges Ford faced along the way.
    The theater we went to really got into it as well. They had all these cars on display as you enteted the theater. In the lobby they also had a Cobra and a 65 Shelby.

If you have not seen it...its definitely worthwhile to see it at a theater!

Yeeaah i know...cardinal sin posting photos like these on the HAMB....but I gotta hand it to the theater for thier effort!! And yes, there was no shortage of snow outside.
    FB_IMG_1574386469634.jpg

FB_IMG_1574386447058.jpg

FB_IMG_1574386478658.jpg

FB_IMG_1574386483693.jpg

FB_IMG_1574386454446.jpg

12. Agree but I still can't see people flocking to see a movie about builders and customizers. Way to many crap builder shows have been on TV with all the BS drama. Most people are burnt out on it, I know I am. I would be more interested in a documentary about them not a Hollywood version.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  13. pmdguy

pmdguy

Would love to see a movie made about Mickey Thompson!!

warbird1, da34guy and tractorguy like this.
  14. mikebarone

mikebarone

++ on Mickey.

I think something about Pontiac and its racing commitments/teams/racers could be a winner. Late 50's to early 70's filled with lots of characters and greats. Yunick, Bud Moore, Herb Adams.

Surprised it has not been mentioned, but the movie is based on the book "Go Like Hell" by A. J. Baime. You might remember that phrase from a sign flashed to Miles.

Baime also wrote "Arsenal of Democracy," another Ford-based story which is too cool to believe. I would bet a dollar he has another Ford story up his sleeve...

The movie hints at the unbelievable effort Ford II put into beating Enzo. The scene racing against the Holman Moody car does a good job at representing it. Lots of racing greats in the development of the GT40. Book goes into it a bit more, but it's unbelievable.

Movie picques my interest in Miles' death. I was crushed, like Milner in AGII. What failed on the car? I can't find anything other than that Ford brought in all sorts of experts to look at the wreckage. I've heard mention on a honeycomb chassis and Miles mentiones to Shelby in the movie. I'm sure there is a report somewhere.

Plug for these books. Especially for you guys where you might find some time by a fire this winter.

rockable and tractorguy like this.
  15. remember this? great movie.

16. I took these photos at the Shelby museum recently.
    IMG_8525.JPG IMG_8526.JPG IMG_8528.JPG IMG_8529.JPG IMG_8530.JPG IMG_8534.JPG

17. 3E5304B0-8BC5-40C3-A190-6C51050AE108.jpeg 6AEBB78A-E71F-4905-B095-944264A45CC7.jpeg C8D174E5-2A93-4279-A28D-DD14E8CA65F8.jpeg Here’s a couple of Phil Remington and his land speed car

18. hotrodfords

hotrodfords

Agee, real hot rodders.

The very first Cobra was built in Dean Moons shop. Dropping a modern V8 into a chassis that had never had one before...sounds like hot rodding to me

tractorguy and Boneyard51 like this.
  19. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Worlds Fastest Indian was a very good movie, I watch it at least once a year. I think people crave a good story that's real and not the post apocalyptic zombie super powered stuff that gets made over and over and ov.... Audiences deserve better but as long as people go see that other type.

20. squirrel

squirrel

I neglected to get a good picture of it there in 2012. Darn.

gt40.jpg

dana barlow likes this.
  21. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

According to Cobra info I have, the first Cobra (CSX 0001) was built by AC in England and tested by Carrol with one of two 221" V8s sent over by Ford. The engine-less car was then shipped to the USA and was fitted with a new 260" in Dean Moon's shop.

tractorguy and stillrunners like this.
  22. hotrodfords

hotrodfords

The first car with the name Cobra, including badging, etc, was built at Moon’s shop. This was the car that later got sent to the NY auto show and generated all the orders that essentially got Shelby’s company going.

But none of this matters to the original question, of “were they (Shelby’s crew), hot rodders?” I think they were, in all the traditional sense.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  23. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Just watched this, well worth the time. Shelby was a month short of his 75th birthday in this interview and had had both a heart and kidney transplant by this time. Great interview.

24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks for posting - excellent - long but, well worth it - need to turn up the volume or miss some of it

arkiehotrods likes this.
  25. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

26. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

That is beyond awesome!

Bones

27. Boodlum

Boodlum

First AC Ace car that had a V8 conversion was done at Carroll Shelby's Dallas dealership called Carroll Shelby Sport Cars. 5611 Yale Boulevard (now SMU Blvd) in Dallas. I worked there. Carroll Shelby Sport Cars was located a couple blocks from Delmo Johnson's older brother Tom Johnson's shop Precision Motors/Performance Incorporated where I worked on both the Vanguard Warrior 1 and Vetta Ventura cars.

ETA: CSX 0001 was built at Dean Moon's shop. A lot of work went on before then.

1957 - 1968 (Carroll Shelby in his Maserati 450S around the time he raced one for the John Edgar team.)
    [​IMG]

Vanguard Warrior I (mid-engine German Ford V4 built on Ford Mustang Concept 1 chassis 1962-1964)
    [​IMG]

Vanguard Vetta Ventura (Buick engine/trans/suspension and Intermeccanica body 1965-1967)
    Where I learned the BOP V8.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  28. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, then Petersen's "Carrol Shelby's Racing Cobra" and Bill Carroll's "Ford Cobra Guide" are totally wrong.

stanlow69 and lurker mick like this.
  29. Boodlum

Boodlum

California people like to ignore the rest of the country.

ETA: The Dallas building as it looks today. Notice the name on the side. Back in the day it was called the Vaughn Building and Carroll Shelby's mailing address was 1000 Vaughn Building 75206. The old dealership is today the single-story Twisted Root burger joint.
    [​IMG]

Look closely and you can read the words above the doors. Left from the days Shelby leased the building to Coker Automotive
    [​IMG]

How it looked circa 1960
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  30. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

That was fun.
    The best Shelby quote for me was "I picked up my marbles and went to Africa".
    Ol Shel lived his life on his terms for the most part!