Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ford v-8 air compressor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by harley rider, Apr 6, 2016.

1. harley rider

harley rider

anyone ever see any thing like this? (I'm sure some one has.) I found this for sale on a vintage parts site . the text said one side is running engine other side is compressor. I've seen small engines turned into compressors. my grand father had one made from a 4cyl. flat head. but never seen any thing like this. was this a factory thing or some kind of after market conversion or maybe a one off home made piece ?

Attached Files:

2. Commercial conversion, by Onan IIRC but I may be wrong on the manufacturer. I've always seen these mounted on trailers.

3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

There's a 289 or 302 Ford based unit being rebuilt at a local shop. Was it Gardner-Denver that built Model A and V8 based compressors from the late 20s on ?

4. stimpy

stimpy

we use them on the mobile trucks for doing tires on the side of the highway , they work real good , I was almost tempted to get one for the shop I was at since it didn't have a box that had enough amps in it for a compressor yet alone lights ( 60 a) I had access to a big and I mean big !!! ( measured in CUft not gallons ) air reciever from a industrial plastics plant ., the nice thing about these compressors is they are water cooled so the liners wear good , and pressure oil fed , you have to use a big dryer and filter on them as they do make lots of water . ( we used a air brake system dryer after a smaller wet tank )

5. stimpy

stimpy

ours was a grimmer schmidt

6. ingram

ingram
    from Georgia

We ground many camshafts for a company named Gas Jack, Inc. They used a Ford 460 that was converted into a compressor/pump type of device used for extracting natural gas out of the ground. Only one engine bank was used to operate the valves, so only 8 of the 16 cam lobes were used.

7. aaggie

aaggie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are a lot of old Flathead V-8s around that were made into air compressors. Mostly commercial but it was easy enough that a few Farmers had home made units in the barn.

8. 1pickup

1pickup

Yup. My brother built one several years ago to use for sandblasting. If I remember correctly, it was a 390 Ford. Built onto it's own trailer. Worked, but not as good as he had hoped.

9. had a A banger unit - they sold the head kit to run the in board cylinders for the compressor sold it at Pate swap meet

10. Schramm made Flathead air compressors with flathead V8's........4 cyls run it and 4 compress air....... heads weigh a ton.........
    compressor eng.jpg

bct likes this.