Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford V 6 Motors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1939fiat, Aug 28, 2012.

1. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Thanks. Having now had the chance to compare the two I can see that the port location and hold down bolt locations changed between the two manifolds. Now i need to see if I can put the 2.6 heads on the 2.8 and use the 2.6 intake.

2. tjm73

tjm73

I think the 3.0 Ranger lower could be adapted to support a pair of two barrels side by side.

3. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

You could swap the heads, but it's not an exact bolt on. As you noticed the intake port location, and bolts are different. The 2.8 has newer design changes than the 2.6 so things like the water passages are different, you would have to plug water passages, and re-drill them. It's not worth doing the 2.6 to 2.8 (or vice versa) head swap, the 2.6 heads don't perform near as good as the 2.8's. If it were me I'd find a complete 2.6, or sell the 2.6 intake, and find a 2.8 intake. I'd do the 2.8, the 2.6's are harder to find these days while the 2.8's are still plentiful.

4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I just bought a 2.6 out of an AutoX car that is fresh. It was described as a 2.8 by the seller. When he brought it over i could see it was a 2.6 but I thought they were more alike. And it was cheap, so I took it thinking I could sell the intake and carb and get my money back. Now I'm not so sure. Doubt there is a large market out there for a 2.6 Offy intake. I also have a 2.8 out of a merc Bobcat that is pretty worn out. One of these needs to go in my Bantam. Hope they have the same bellhousing bolt pattern and motor mount locations.

5. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

I'm pretty sure that they still have the same bellhousing, and motor mount locations, the changes were mostly made in the deck of the block, and the heads.

6. 302aod

302aod
    from Pelham,Tn.

To fill a 2.8 v-6 with coolent, I just filled the top radiator hose with it taken off of the radiator, untill it was full, then put it back on the rad. Then I would fill the rad. This would put coolent on the back side of the thermostat. The 2.8 needed valve ajustment, but rarely got it. The 2.9 had hydralic lifters and had it's problems, but needed less matenence. After the 2.9 came out, Ford sold many Bronco 11s and Rangers.

7. Blackcountryman

Blackcountryman
    from UK

I have been looking to see one of these two-stoke diesels for a long time!
    I own three Ford Trader NC lorries here in the UK, but they are fitted with either 4D or 6D Diesel engines. It is good to know that some still exist, and that at least one is still running. It is very interesting to read the history of the engine, and its problems. It also explains how this "Koln Cab model" came to be moved here to England.