Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford trans question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by niterunner71, Dec 4, 2010.

1. niterunner71

niterunner71

OK here goes. I have a 1970 Ford 302 engine from my old truck complete from fan to bellhousing. The bellhousing has the later T&C trans pattern. I also have a 62 ford borg warner t-10 from a galaxie. this trans has the old 49-64 bolt pattern. I would like to use this trans behind the 302 for my 40 coupe. Question is how to adapt the two. Someone told me some lakewood and ansen bellhousings have the dual bolt pattern, and then someone else told me to simply drill and tap the stock ford bellhousing for the trans. Anyone know of this?

2. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

I do not think there are any stock ford bells that would work. The early 260/289 blocks were 5 bolt. They changed to the 6 bolt block in 65 at the same time they change to the wide flange trans.

Lakewood did make a shatter shield bell that had the 6 bolt block side with both ford trans pattern and also could be used with either the 157 or 165 tooth flywheel wheel They could still be making it not sure.

I had one left over from my racing days and it is now in my Model T pickup.

3. pigpen1

pigpen1

drill it and tap it.

4. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

The Lakewood Bellhousing has both the Ford 3 spd and 4 spd patterns. I ran one behind the 351W in my '51 F-1 until I grenaded the '62 Galaxie 3 spd + OD.

One note, the Lakewood isn't a straight bolt up. You will have to get the bellhousing aligned before putting the trans on. I had to get offset dowel pins in order for everything to align properly.

5. niterunner71

niterunner71

thanks i may go the lakewood route