Register now to get rid of these ads!

ford trans parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dragsled, Nov 18, 2011.

1. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

will the runnig gear out of a side shift flathead trans work in a toploader trans

2. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Yes. As in late '30s floor shift. Not sure how far back you want to go on the floor shift case though. You need to give a little more info as to what you want to do.

3. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

the top loader is a 36 case the side shift I'm not sure on the year has the ears on the bell i want to put the running gear out of the side shift into the top loader

4. Probably yes depending on the year of the side shifter (you could be talking about a '53 transmission and I have heard they may work with mods, if you mean pre '48 it is yes), but be sure you have the correct tower and shifter. If I had an early Ford trans question or need parts I would go to
    http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_home.htm
    if I was on the east coast.

Charlie Stephens

5. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

thanks i have the tower that came with the case , is that what you mean?

6. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

note to self and anybody else ,compare shift arm size befoe you put it together, O well live and learn , at least I got the syncros for the top loader ,If they fit I'll be set, Maybe

7. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Dragsled
    The shift forks in your 36 top probably won't fit the later gears. You may have to replace it or grind a bit on it. Check Van Pelt's site for more info
    Jim

8. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

thanks maybe I'll tweek them a little, I have a spare tower incase I screw this up, It's for my flathead Dragster I do alot of tweeking on this thing

9. hari kari

hari kari
    from michigan

You can not grind the 36 fork to fit the later syncrose. The offset is differant. U need a 91a fork. Buy the bOok vanpelts sells it covers everything u need to know.

10. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Thanks, strangely enough I ordered their book this AM ,Thanks again for the info ,i'll wait to get the right piece