Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford Tranny- what do I have?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr.Musico, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

I was freshinging this up to use it and was having trouble getting the right main retainer seal (in front)- maybe I mis identified my tranny- I thought it was a 36. Is it? Thanks

Attached Files:

2. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Those seals would all be the same no matter the year. Looks like mid thirties to me, definitely has a '36 style mount and top on it. Is there a serial number stamped into the housing just above the inspection cover? The casting number will give you a clue to the year range as well, but I think you'll have to remove the mount to see it.

3. Carter

Carter

I'm thinking that's a 33-34 trans and they didn't use a seal in the front bearing retainer until 37.

That is a 35-6 rear mount, but the shifter housing looks like a 33-34 to me.

Edit, the more I look at it, I think that top is a 35-7.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  4. Carter

Carter

You may be able to see the case number cast in at the drivers side rear of the case at the bottom.
    The stamped number at the front, top center above the inspection hole will tell you what year it is.

Edit: sorry Andy, I just repeated what you already said in this post.

5. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

there is a "leather" o-ring "seal" in thier now, its cracked and needs to be replaced. The seal I thought was correct was different. Ill check the numbers.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  6. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

pic of what was in there and what i thought was the correct seal. different..... as said maybe it did not use a seal.. so maybe NOT a 36 trans.

Attached Files:

• seal.jpg
      seal.jpg
      File size:
      331.6 KB
      Views:
  7. Carter

Carter

Could still be a 36, seals weren't used until 37 I believe.

8. Carter

Carter

EDIT:Ok, since my last few posts on the HAMB have been mostly wrong, I decided to take a quick look at the Ford Chassis Parts Catalogue this morning, and there is a grease retainer listed for 32-4 4 cyl. and 32-6 V8 transmissions. I've never seen one in the transmissions I've taken apart, and I can't find one available through any of the parts suppliers, but that must be what you found in your trans.
    You can swap out your front bearing retainer to the 37 and newer style to run that new seal in your transmission.

9. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

^thanks for the info- from what was said here and from what I found- your right pre 37 had no seal- there was a cork o-ring, I will try it with some rtv. if i have issues ill do just that.