Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford toploader overdrive question..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatheadz-forever, Apr 22, 2012.

1. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

I am building a 1930 model a pickup with a roughly 180-200hp flathead and either a banjo rear or possibly a nine inch rear. I am trying to make this as traditional as possible. For a trans I have found a 1977 ford granada 4 speed overdrive transmission for $175. Will this trans fit well in my pickup? Doesn't quicktime make a bellhousing for a 1949-1953 flathead to ford toploader adapter? will I need to change the tailshaft on this trans to get a better shifter location? is this a popular swap? or which 5 speed should I look for is this trans worth my trouble or would I just be better of spending more money on a 5 speed. I was trying to keep my rod all ford but..... is it cost effective what do you guys think thanks..-flatheadz-forever

2. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The ratio spreads are better on a 5 speed then that trans,they have a normal 4 speed first and second ratios and then it jumps to 1 to 1 in third which is like going from second to fourth and will need steep gears to over come the rpm drop.

3. sunbeam

sunbeam

Do a search there was a good thread on the trans under Ford 3 spd+ od.

4. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

The OP is not asking about a 3 spd + OD, the OP is asking about a Ford RUG 4 spd, which will work fine behind a 200 Hp flathead, just not the most traditional trans out there. Like Jeff said, there is a big gap in between 2nd and 3rd, but it is nothing a well built flathead shouldn't be able to handle. Just don't expect to set any drag race records.

5. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

is a five speed out of a fox body mustang a good swap in a model a

6. If it's late 80's to '93, and if you can get an S-10 shifter and tailshaft and adapter yes. I had an '86 srug 3 spd + OD behind my flattie and switched to an S-10 T-5 in the sedan. Woke the flattie up and is now much more fun to drive (3.55 8" rear ). My coupster is getting a y-block and mustang t-5 with the s-10 tail and shifter to locate the shifter forward of the seat.