Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ford toploader 3 speed identity

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A_Burly_Wind, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Can't seem to find a specific on this trans, I know its a top loader 3 speed but not sure out of what and the exact info for the tag numbers. The tag reads: HEF AP 046 184. The ither side of the case is stamped C3AR 7006 E. I got it for dirt at a swap and the guy said it was in his fairlane at some point, Im assuming its a truck trans but can't find exact answer.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Jimray23

Jimray23

Its a 1963 ford 3 speed

Jim

loudbang likes this.
  3. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Here's what I found:

"Ford type 3.03 3 speed manual all synchro trans introduced in 1963, initially installed in full sized Fords and F100/250's."

And it is for the five bolt 1949-64 bellhousing pattern.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Thanks guys, I had found it was the "303" type but couldn't figure out the AP part of the tag couldn't find that listed anywhere. And figured with my luck I found the only one in existence with it and it was a big turd. Anyways bought this to back a mild 292 Y block. Hope it'll hold up to some abuse.

loudbang likes this.

5. sunbeam

sunbeam

Should stand up behind your y block ok.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  6. It will never break behind your Y-block unless you run it without lube. I put one behind a built 352 FE in a '58 Ford wagon and broke every other part of the driveline at least once, but never hurt the trans....

loudbang likes this.
  7. Mac VP

Mac VP

The 3.03 Ford toploader trans is a damn good unit.....

8. finn

finn

Local guy ran one behind a 427 FE in a 63 Galaxie. It held up where a T10 four speed wouldn’t.

I seem to recall that the big block version had some differences than the six cylinder / 260 / 289 version.

9. Well hot damn $50 well spent on my end. Any body got some info on the gear ratios? and how about a floor shifter.

10. Also anyone got input on what bell housing to use with it? Ive got one off a fairlane but not sure if its a the right one for the input shaft.

11. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a 3.03 behind my A-code 289 with a cam in it, it will handle any Y-block.

12. My 292 is a truck block, bored .60 over before i owned it. Has a B manifold with a edelbrock 600 and an isky e2 cam with matching valve train. Heads are the COAE castings that have been milled and ported and had the 351w valves trick done to it. Wont be a monster but in a light car and a 3.55 gear out back i think it'll be pretty fun to drive.