Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Ford Thunderbolts Photos Wanted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Troublemaker427, Oct 11, 2006.

1. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Check out a new Video that my buddy "Fast Eddie" just got done putting together.Just what a A/FX and Super stock junky needs.Thunderbolts,Comets and Falcons Oh My.
    Also check out his website. http://www.fasteddieshotrodshop.com/

[​IMG]

2. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

One of my favorite 'glass door equipped T-Bolt...The Kenny Vogt, Stinger I car! I would like to know which Ford dealers and what cars received 'glass doors? Was there a "special" light weight package/options for the T-Bolts? Such as 'glass doors, plexi windshields, aluminum front bumpers..vs. none aluminum front bumpers, steel doors and regular safety glass windshields..etc.?? Did NHRA rules mandate metal front bumpers? Thanks!...John

Well, I guess no one wanted to step up to the plate.

You pretty much had to be a Drag Council member, i.e. Burgundy cars, or connected with one to get glass doors in 1964. I think the only non members that got glass doors in 1964 was the Crop Duster car of David Harrell, that was sold to him by Phil Bonner at Al Means Ford. The War Eagle car of Steve Honnell and Pat Gray Woody Anderson Ford car, and they may of not gotten those until 1965. Emmitt Austin, but I believe not until 1965.

Same thing with plexiglass front windshields, lighter hood, lighter front fenders, aluminum radiator, aluminum water pump, air bonnets in place of the air box, these were FX / match race components. Not legal in S/S class due to not meeting the minimum 50 unit build.

Yes, NHRA made Ford change to metal bumpers.

Regards,
    Dennis

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  3. YellowLane

YellowLane

I would have stepped up, but I was afraid of getting hit with a wild pitch...:rolleyes:

Sorry, if this is a re-post, but I don't think I have seen this one on the thread...?? Anyone know what track this would have been??

Attached Files:

4. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Mid City Ford Thunderbold driven by Vic Broussard

[​IMG]

Later driven by Sidney Foster

[​IMG]

5. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

6. spiertb

spiertb

64 cyclone; Whose T-Bolt is the one going away racing the valiant? wagon --number 102 or 182? Thanks. Nice pics. Syl

7. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

102....McAnary Ford Thunderbolt driven by Bob Perry

8. Keep posting "As Raced" in '64 pics....PLEASE! :) Hopefully, I will have all 100 T-Bolt pics....soon! So, keep 'em comin'.........

Attached Files:

9. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Not saying at can't happen....but I doubt it. I've got a feeling there are several that weren't photographed.

10. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

I agree, start with the Paradise Ford car.

Regards,
    Dennis

11. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

One's I don't have by selling dealer:

Jim Sanders Ford

Max Larsen Ford

Hippodrome Ford

Galpin Ford

Campbell Ford

Wake Forest Ford

Winkler Ford

Dick Walters Ford

Paradise Ford

Southside Ford (I have one but not 100% sure)

12. 1964racecar

1964racecar

Do you have any of the Luther Ford Thunderbolt? I have seen only one on Suttons web site.

13. YellowLane

YellowLane

Sounds about right for me, too. :(

What about the Luther Ford, any other pics besides Suttons post?

14. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Nope....that's the only one I have for that car.

15. YellowLane

YellowLane

OK, I'm reaching now... I had this one slotted as a clone... Correct??

Attached Files:

16. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Can anyone post photos of the Thunderbolts from Beaty Ford Center in Midland TX and Jack Mefford Ford in Springfield OH?

Kentuckian

17. Custom 300

Custom 300

The Jack Mefford Ford Thunderbolt was discovered (Still Local) in the early 80's and purchased by Dan Mershon (Mershons world of cars) here in Springfield, Dan got a huge load of 427 blocks, HiRiser heads, intakes etc. with the car, Dan restored the car and sold it to a gentleman in Texas...So the story goes.
    I used to work with a couple of old line techs that worked at Mefford Ford, they told me they worked on that car non stop and could never run any quicker than 12.40's with it, the car was painted orange when it was discovered.

Howard Butler likes this.
  18. huffer38

huffer38
    from canada

I saw the Mickey Thompson at-Bolt for sale at Legendary Motorcars.

19. spiertb

spiertb

I just received a catalog from a west coast car cover company--they had a die-cast of the Bob Ford T-Bolt for sale-- I was amazed to read that the car has a "retractable radio aerial". Dennis must have slipped up because I never noticed that "rare" T-Bolt option on his REAL Bob Ford car. How could he miss such an important piece on his race car restoration!!! I'd really rather be looking at old T-Bolt pictures on this very enjoyable site than discussing radio antennae. Sylvanus

20. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

They must be referring to the telemetry antenna used when doing the fifth wheel tests at the Dearborn test track. LOL

Note the antenna mount on the drip rail above the door pillar.

What company is this, I'd like to see if their catalog is on line to read?

Regards,
    Dennis

Attached Files:

21. spiertb

spiertb

Dennis; California car cover, page 71. Sylvanus

22. havi

havi

[​IMG] Does that look like stock axle width with those wheels under the rear fenderwell like that? It's the look I'm going for.

I've also read some numbers that show the Tbolt track width is different than the stock Fairlane. I measured mine, and none of my numbers match either type, lol.

Last edited: May 8, 2010
  23. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

I think the Thunderbolt had a standard Hi-po 289 housing. The traction set up was added on to that housing.

24. FYI
    There is going to be a reunion of the "Ford Drag Council" at the NHRR in Bowling Green this year. Dick Brannan is helping with putting this together. Many of the "stars and cars" will be there. It should be a pretty cool deal.

25. W.T.

W.T.
    from CT

I was a grease monkey for Campbell Ford when we bought a 289 Shelby Cobra and a T'Bolt for racing.

I photographed the white Thunderbolt at Connecticut dragway. The photographs, along with my ex are lost to time. I wish I had the photos back. We could help you complete your collection.

Even if you don't have the photo we know it was photographed.

We ran in SSA, and the goal was to eliminate a mopar automatic which we never did. Basically it was race on Sunday and rebuild the tranny on Monday. The car ran in the low 12's but never set the world on fire. It was fun though.

26. W.T.

W.T.
    from CT

I should have specified. That was an AC/Cobra, the original. Powered by a high performance 289. The automotive world was stunned that Shelby had shoe horned a V8 into this little British sporty car.

If you had suggested a 427, it would have gotten a good laugh. Only in America.

As my favorite stock car driver would say, "that car ripped".

27. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

I got back from the Mecum Indy auction last night. I had been up there since Wednesday morning. The event was one that every musclecar enthusiast should have attended. It was advertized as 1700 cars to be auctioned.

One of the 1700 cars that was auctioned was the Pulliam Motors Thunderbolt. This car like all the others was accessable and I was able to view it up close and personable. The car ran through the auction late Saturday afternoon. It sold for $260,000.

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  28. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Dennis K., What is the correct mounting position for the aluminum front bumper? Should it be mounted high against the grill or lower exposing the openings? If it is to be mounted high, what type of brackets are used?

I ask this question because I see original old photos with them mounted high but restored cars with them mounted low. Please let us T-Bolt fans out here know which way they are really suppose to be.

Kentuckian

29. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

Front bumper up high like my cars are. DST modified the production steel brackets by welding on an extension to raise the bumper height.

There may of been one or two cars running the aluminum front bumper in the lower production location back in 1964.

So which restored original Thunderbolts have the aluminum front bumper mounted low?

Regards,
    Dennis

30. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Do you have a link to this or Brannan ??