Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Ford Thunderbolts Photos Wanted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Troublemaker427, Oct 11, 2006.

1. spiertb

spiertb

A while back an inidentified T-Bolt at the Double H drag strip was the topic of discussion. I read recently that Pete? Mounts car was originally purple. Could that be his car? Syl

2. The beautifully restored Milo Coleman T-Bolt....was this the #12 car delivered? Looks awesome with the as delivered white lettered Firestone tires/slicks!

Attached Files:

3. 1964 Ford Fairlane Thunderbolt Race Car
    Color: BLUE
    Transmission: 4 SPEED
    Cylinders: V8
    Engine Size: 427
    Horsepower: 500
    1964 Ford Fairlane (Thunderbolt) No. 13 of 100 produced for Ford by Detroil Steel Tubing. Originally owned and driven by Georgia racer Hubert Platt. Power comes from a 427 "High Riser" rated 500 HP. Hubert Platt will attend auction and be there for any questions. 28 ' trailer included with purchase. In Mid 60's Hubert Platt's #13 T-Bolt was involved in an accident. Car sat for almost 30 years, before Lee Malkemes of PA and help of 422 Motorsports restored car to original condition. The car you will see today is original core of that car. With new front end, quarter panel, trunk lid, passenger door. As Hubert will tell you not many T-Bolts that were raced did not escape accidents sometime in their history. Includes 28' trailer sold on bill of sale. Sold for $162,000.00 in '06 ***SOLD ON BILL OF SALE ONLY***

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  4. 1964 Ford Thunderbolt
    Color: WHITE
    Transmission: AUTO
    Cylinders: V8
    Engine Size: 427
    Horsepower: 425
    In 1964, Ford contracted Dearborn Steel Tubing to build 100 of the Thunderbolts. The cars all started life as Hi-Po 289 Fairlanes. Dearborn Steel Tubing hand built the front and rear suspension of every car to allow the 425hp Hi-riser to bolt into the chassis. Every Thunderbolt was fitted with a fiberglass tear drop hood, aluminum bumper, fiberglass fenders, Plexiglas side windows, radio, heater and sound deadener delete, rubber floor mats, 427 Hi-Riser dual quad, Ram Air ducting, light weight front rims and tires, trunk mounted battery, light weight rubber floor mat, light weight front bucket seats, door pull delete, auxiliary oil pressure gauge, and auxiliary dash mounted tachometer. The Thunderbolt presented here is the 90th car produced. The car is correct right down to the Fomoco Script head lights. The car comes with documentation and a clear history. Sold for $270,000.00 at Barrett Jackson

Attached Files:

5. YellowLane

YellowLane

Can someone tell me which cars these were? I seem to have misplaced my notes where they were discussed and placed. :( Thanks you!

Attached Files:

6. dlshady

dlshady

The middle photo is the Delta Ford car but I'm not sure about the other two.

Deron

7. dlshady

dlshady

No, it wasn't. I thought the same thing due to a statement made in the Hot Rod Magazine article, but Dennis was kind enough to straighten it out for me. Cars #12, 13 and 14 were delivered on the the same day but no one seems to have recorded the order. Milo Coleman's car was delivered a few days later so the earliest it could be would be #15, but again there were several delivered that day (6 or 8 I think, don't have my notes handy) and no record of the order.

Deron

8. The one on the right is Johnie DeMinno's clone. Fe powered with a stick and goes in the 8's.

9. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

I really like the paint and lettering on this one. If only it had vintage wheels. Looks like its built to have fun with....not a trailer queen. I still wonder how much of the original car was used on this one.

10. Race Artist

Race Artist

Lee Malkemes who owned the ex-Platt car and wrecked it built/rebuilt the car and ran it hard at many N/SS and reunion meets. The car was not a trailer queen.
    Joel

11. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

I wonder too ... . Hopefully somewhere there are photos documenting the "restoration".

Regards,
    Dennis

Attached Files:

12. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

The "#12 delivered" originates from a list of $1 cars delivered, not all cars delivered. On 11 Dec, seven cars were delivered, so Milo's car could be #15 - #21, inclusive.

Regards,
    Dennis

13. 1964 Fairlane Thunderbolt - Replica NONE Nicer than this! Done to be replica of "BOB FORD" Thunderbolt 427 Side Oiler with Dual Quads N.O.S. Borg Warner T-10 Transmission & Shifter Curry 31 Spline Rear Axles New 11" Rear Brakes Correct Thunderbolt Air Box Front Aluminum Tow Hooks Pie-Crust Original Style Slicks Interior is Correct Type - Bostrom Front Buckets New Factory Rear Correct Seat Cloth, Arm Rest & Window Regulator Delete in Rear Arm Rest Delete on Front Door panels Radio Delete Heater Delete Lettering on Door is Hand Lettered NO Billit, NO Chrome, NO Disco . . . just Old School Nostalgia Drag Race Style! Sale Price....$118,000.00 :)

Attached Files:

14. Here is another Fake for $65,000.00! Tubbed and caged!

Attached Files:

• i-1.JPG
      i-1.JPG
      File size:
      62.1 KB
      Views:
    • i-3.JPG
      i-3.JPG
      File size:
      63.1 KB
      Views:
    • i-4.JPG
      i-4.JPG
      File size:
      87 KB
      Views:
    • i-2.JPG
      i-2.JPG
      File size:
      55.3 KB
      Views:
  15. <table border="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td style="padding-right: 5px; text-align: right; white-space: nowrap; vertical-align: top;">
    </td> <td colspan="2" style="vertical-align: top;"> No expense spared on this Thunderbolt re-creation. NOS 427cid block with correct 2x4's. Rotisserie restoration of a rust-free Midwest body. Attention to detail top and bottom. Test miles only. Many Best of Shows. Extensive photo and receipt documentation. </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="padding-right: 5px; text-align: right; white-space: nowrap; vertical-align: top;"> Details: </td> <td colspan="2" style="vertical-align: top;"> NOS 427cid side-oiler stroked to 454cid with Venolia pistons, Eagle rods and forged crank. High riser heads and intake with Manley SS valves, Sig Erson roller rockers and Smith Brothers push rods. Two 750 double pumper carbs by Chuck Nuytten. Richmond 5-speed with Centerforce clutch. Ford 9" rear with Powertrax Moser, Thunderbolt lift bars with slider, Dennys driveshaft. Original Fairlane interior with lightweight seats. Paint and bodywork by Hot Rod Garage. Original vintage burgundy with Fire Mist Gold top.

Sold at Barrett Jackson for $68,200.00
    </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="padding-right: 5px; text-align: right; white-space: nowrap; vertical-align: top; height: 100%;"> </td> <td colspan="2" style="vertical-align: top; height: 100%;"> </td></tr></tbody></table>

Attached Files:

16. ****This is a very interesting read...Decals in windows make it authentic? Can you say Hardtop?:)****
    [​IMG]
    That's right, a Ford Thunderbolt, with a NASTY 427 FE under the 'glass hood. This muther was right, all the way down to the vintage slicks and period paint. The car has real racing history, although it appears that it was converted from a stock Fairlane back in the day.
    [​IMG]
    There's the source of the racket I heard- a real gem of an engine. Despite the missing "427&#8243; logo on the air cleaner, this car was all about motor back in the day- and nothing has changed. The large, flexible tubes route air in from the inboard headlight buckets, allowing the engine to breathe much better at speed. The "teardrop" hood was engineered to allow engine heat to dissipate, as these FE engines get hot at WOT (erwide-open-throttle). This car had a single four-barrel, although some T-Bolts ran a dual-quad setup in competition trim. Oh, and in case the provenance of this car was under any doubt, the window stickers attest to the car's authenticity.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  17. Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  18. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

What is up with the qtr windows? Looks like they wanted a hardtop to look like a post?? :confused:

19. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

One of those cars survived. The Strip Teaser is Dennis K's lt blue car....the others...they claim to be saved??? I haven't seen any proof myself but others may know for sure.

20. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

One of the first times out Bob Thomas ran it into a fence. Here is another picture of it, the car didn't get hurt too bad, but from then on his accountant, Howard Neal drove for him.

There is a dent in instrument panel. The first time I was in Ellijay and visiting with Bob, Harold Simmons who ran Gilmer Ford asked if there was a dent. I said yes. The story then came out that when Bob ran the car into the fence, his head hit the dash and his head was in a cast for quite a while.

Here is an end of season shot of the car on the trailer at Thomas Oil Co. with the trophies they won.

Bob's success with the Thunderbolt got him parts support on the Falcon's and a factory Logghe 67 SOHC Fliptop Comet from Jacque Passino at Ford.

Regards,
    Dennis

Attached Files:

21. Reynolds Ford of Syracuse, NY Driven by: Mike Gray "Mr. Nasty III":) Do you guys have anymore original pics of this one? What # T-Bolt was it? Did DST cut the lower rockers before the rear slicks for expansion or did the owner/drivers cut 'em? Look close at pics..as they vary!! Thank you!:)

Attached Files:

22. HI-RISERS out of Dearborn, Michigan:) What # was this T-Bolt? Who was the original Driver? Wayne Gapp? Glass Door car? Need more original pics of this one as well... for my HUGE database of T-Bolt pics!! Thanks!... John:)

Attached Files:

23. YellowLane

YellowLane

Check out post #1170

Also, can you check your HUGE T-BOLT database for pics of the Hippodrome or Paradise TBolts? :)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  24. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

#96.

DST initially, although they may of been further modified at a later date.

Sometimes the photo angle can be deceiving, plus this car had the rear axle slid, then everything was put back during the restoration.

Regards,
    Dennis

25. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

#70.
    Larry Kovoch was one of the original drivers.
    Car had glass doors.

Regards,
    Dennis

26. ratbox

ratbox
    from bay area

This is asking for some pretty detailed info. , but....from reading parts of this thread seems like someone here probably knows :

Can someone tell me what month of what year , High Riser heads & intake were first cast in development and testing stage and where (which part of the Ford Organization / Engine & Foundry , etc ).

Then - who was first team/racer given some to try in competition & on what car ? Drag or nascar ? And when/where was it (event) ?

Thx , for any help.

27. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

C3AE-K High Riser heads and C3AE-M 4V intake assy around May - June 1963. XE and SK versions would of been earlier.
    E&F Div. had the design responsibility
    NASCAR - Firecracker 400 Daytona, July 4, 1963

The 8V XE intake for drag cars was released around 15 Aug 63.

Detroit Dragway S/S Meet, the week before the 1963 Indy Summer Nationals.

Brannan's 823 63 Ltwt Gal, the black Bob Ford 63 Ltwt driven by Len Richter, Tasca's 63 Ltwt, in addition to the 63.5 Fairlane 500 2 Dr HT car driven by Bill Humphrey, ran A/FX class at Indy, all had 427 8V High Riser engines.

Regards,
    Dennis

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  28. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

I've got a few XE and SK parts. I've always assumed that XE stood for experimental engineering, but what does SK stand for?

I've also got some "SPEC" version Ford parts. Is that for "built to specification" or "special"?

29. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

No.

Re XE, the X denotes Experimental Part. The second letter refers to Assignment Location. In this case, E = Engine Product and Manufacturing Engineering, Engine Engineering. P is Transmission, W is Chassis, etc ... .

SK denotes sketch. SK was usually just a marked up experimental or production part drawing for making changes to a component, without having to go through a formal release. There was a very regimented proceedure for the release of components into production. Product, manufacturing, quality, plant, etc ... had to sign off on any designs that went into production, feasibility, testing, etc ... . From what I recall Engine was the only one that used SK.

SPEC. I've only seen that on iron castings, i.e. carriers, blocks, etc ... .
    People claim "Special", but I never recall seeing anything internal that actually stated that.

Regards,
    Dennis

30. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Thanks for clearing that up for me, Dennis.

One part that I have that has SPEC on it is a 429 CJ head. It has the regular casting number for a 1970 CJ head, but on the date code pad it has SPEC, instead of the date code. It was on a 1971 Mustang (the other head was a "normal" 1971 CJ head).

I also have a carrier with SPEC on it. If I'm remembering correctly, it is an early nine inch nodular (has an "N" marked case, it is either a C2 or C4 casting, with no filler plug) non-posi with a 3.70 ratio for 28 spline axles.