Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Ford Thunderbolts Photos Wanted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Troublemaker427, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

Yes, that is the former Tasca Ford Thunderbolt in 1965. Cork and three others bought the car for $4,000.

The white car was Brondes Ford Sales, Toledo, OH., which Cork Marshalko ordered new. Called Mr. Automatic but converted to a four speed early on as the car wouldn't even run in the 11's, as delivered.

Cork said they used to flat tow the white car with his brother's Olds. On I-75 the Bolt was their "passing gear". Cork said he fire up the Bolt and push the Olds to 90+, smoke would be pouring out of it. LOL

He also had a 1963 427 Galaxie he bought new. They pulled the motor to put it in a rail dragster they built. Imagine doing something like that today with a brand new car!

In their enthusiasm to go faster, they cut the Tasca car up to make an altered wheelbase straight axle car. See attached photo, Cork is on the left and Bob Hackett on the right. Cork eventually sold the white car to Hackett.

Regards,
    Dennis

Attached Files:

2. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Was it ever stated which dealership Kenny Warren's Thunderbolt the Virginia Twister" originally came from? Or did I miss it?

3. I'm pretty sure Kenny told me Mooresville Ford in NC. Is that correct Dennis ? The car is rumored to be setting in the hills of VA....

4. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Thanks, that's where I thought I had heard it was from but was not sure.

I also heard there were two Thunderbolts retained by Ford Motor Co. One for the Engine & Foundry Dept and the other for the Performance & Economy Dept. What is the story on those two Thunderbolts?

5. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

6. dlshady

dlshady

That car has been for sale for quite some time. Does anybody know anything about it or its history?

Deron

7. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

[​IMG]

8. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

Kenny Warren and I talked when I was racing one of my T-Bolts at one of the Super Stock Reunions in Rockingham. Actually, Kenny didn't remember what dealership he ordered the car from. However, from going through the list, by eliminating other known ones from the area, and that it was a automatic car, it was with high confidence Mooresville Motor Sales was the dealership.

Regards,
    Dennis

9. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

The E&F Div car was aka the Hi Risers car. It is currently in CA.

The Perf & Economy Dept car went to Bob Ford Inc. around Aug 1964 and lettered up as "T-Bolt Too". Installed were similar long track bars like the S/S car and was driven by Jerry Harvey as #624 A/MP at the Summer Nationals. It is currently in OH.

Both of these cars have fiberglass doors.

Regards,
    Dennis

10. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

More likely cast iron top loaders. Many switched due to the improved reliability factor or received the T&C box in their change over kit from Ford. I don't recall many or any at all digressing to the cast iron T-10.

Regards,
    Dennis

11. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

Originally owned by R.E.Tinkle.

The car sold some time late last year. Currently owned by a private collector in TX, and supposedly in or on its way to a museum in, I believe, CO.

Regards,
    Dennis

12. dlshady

dlshady

In regard to the Hi Risers car, has it been restored to day one condition or something else? Was it ever campaigned by private individuals after the Ford E&F guys got done with it? Any photos of it later on in life?

[​IMG]

Deron

13. dlshady

dlshady

Now for today's "Name That Thunderbolt" episode...... Any help identifying the original dealer/owner/driver of some of these would be greatly appreciated!

I assume these are the same car at different stages in its life...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This car has Bill Rick in the filename. Is it the same car that was once tubbed, had some baby blue stripes and was once in Norway (or maybe Sweden)?

[​IMG]

Wrecking Crew car before it was lettered?

[​IMG]

Ed Martin #3 car before it was painted orange?

[​IMG]

Pulliam in the filename. Original owner - dealer - driver?

[​IMG]

Webster Ford Hemi Hunter. Was Webster Ford the original dealer, and who was the driver?

[​IMG]

And a few others that I don't know much about:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don Snyder's orange car. Who's car was this originally?

[​IMG]

Well, that ought to keep you guys busy for at least 10 minutes... ;)

Any info appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Deron

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  14. Don Snyder's poppy red car was originally Phil Bonner's car. It was originally used as a test car for NASCAR by Holman Moody then converted to a drag car to replace Phil's vintage burgandy car after it was wrecked.

15. Wrecking Crew was originally David Harrell's "Crop Duster" out of Al Means Ford/Horsepower Sales in Decatur GA. Now owned by Dallas Kelly and recently updated for NHRA legal SS racing.

16. spiertb

spiertb

The Blue Malfunction II T-Bolt was Lee Malkamas (sp). He bought it from Hubert Platt and later wrecked it at a race at one of those narrow Southern tracks.

17. dlshady

dlshady

The original Georgia Shaker car?

18. dlshady

dlshady

Ha ha... I was so busy trying to decipher the graphics on the side of the car that I never noticed it wasn't a sedan! Thanks for the ID. Does anybody have a photo of this car when Bonner had it after his first one was wrecked? He must not have raced this one much because I don't ever recall seeing it, just reading about it.

Deron

19. dlshady

dlshady

Thanks Jody. I just wanted to be sure that that was indeed the same car before I filed the photo. I figured with the colored stripes on the quarters it almost had to be, but you know what they say about the word assume... :eek:

Deron

20. Powerband

Powerband

21. Yes:D

22. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

And that car was fubar'd. The frt bumper looked like a pretzel, all of the fiberglass shattered, the roof badly damaged and the rt side smashed in. I've seen a few pics of wrecked T-Bolts and that was the worst.

23. dlshady

dlshady

Pictures or ban! :D:D:D

24. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

Does someone honestly think ... ?

You fill in the blanks

Regards,
    Dennis

Attached Files:

25. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

The Hi Risers supposedly was Ford's answer to the Ramchargers.

Bob Corn, Wayne Gapp, and others were on the team. I have lunch with Bob frequently and he mentioned there were too many people all wanting to go in different directions with this car. Bob did state that Gapp was instumental in making the car work.

Here is a recent photo of it.

Regards,
    Dennis

Attached Files:

26. dlshady

dlshady

Well, I really wasn't serious......:eek: But thanks! I think the phrase "narrow southern track" pretty much describes everything down here, especially back in that day and age. Where was the car wrecked?

And seriously, thanks for sharing that photo.

Deron

27. dlshady

dlshady

Wow, that's amazing. If I were to walk past that car in the pits I'd never in my wildest dreams imagine that it was one of the real ones. Chopped top and all....... Wow, just wow...... :confused:

Deron

28. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

I think it was at Piedmont, NC.

The drag strip was an abandoned divided highway that had grass between the two lanes. I believe Lee caught the grass at the high end and rolled the car.

Regards,
    Dennis

29. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

Answers are in BOLD above photo.

Regards,
    Dennis

30. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

I'm curious whether this was actually a NASCAR test car. I don't doubt it came from H-M, but Ford sent at least 13 Fairlane HT's to H-M, but I don't think all were converted. It seems like I saw photos in an old magazine of the actual NASCAR track Fairlane's having the adjustable jackscrew front coil springs and radiused rear wheel wells. However, I don't think it would be a big deal for H-M to install new rear quarters or even reconstruct the front apron and Fairlane control arms.

Anyone have this magazine or perhaps the VIN from this car. I could tell which car it was if a VIN was available.

Regards,
    Dennis