Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Ford Thunderbolts Photos Wanted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Troublemaker427, Oct 11, 2006.

1. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Hey there Mister, Welcome to the thread. It might take awhile but take time and go through all the pages. Some other Original drivers are on here.

Anybody wanting to know any particulars about the races or the Thunderbolt ask away.

I havent got that far but Rick Ran Top Fuel for a number of years after the Thunderbolt. Have some pics that will be Posting of Rick Racing Connie Kalitta Down at Amarillo Dragstrip. Rick had one of the few Dragsters that hit the 6 sec range here in Colorado. Nothing like going from a 12 sec Stocker to a 7 Second fuel car by the time he was 18 / 19 years old . Amazing stuff.

2. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

With the New rules in place for 65 Rick changed the Thunderbolt and ran Modified production. One of the first changes made was switching out the Automatic for a 4 Speed. Rick said he gained a full half second doing so. Rick then relettered the car.This is my favorite style. Poppy red with Black and white lettering. Purple down the accent side trim and Black and Gold Two tone steelies out back.

Rick was Marv still running his Thunderbolt in 65 or were you by your self

[​IMG]

3. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

4. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

You can see in those first two Photos Rick had Kenz and Leslie on the Door and Ron Seyfer on the fender. Kenz and Leslie's Shop was huge for the Denver area. They Specialized in Ford Performance, Ron Seyfer was one of the Ford FE Tunning guru's that worked there. Everyone who had a Hot Ford visited that shop at one time or another. Tommy Ivo's Mom (Tommy Ivo was orignally from Denver) would go down to Kenz and Leslie's Shop Every weekend and get her copy of National Dragster to keep up with her son.

Heres a Color shot. You will notice some orange extensions off the inner headlights, those are Construction Cones cut down and put in there. Rick was looking to get Cleaner flowing air ahead of the Turbulence created by the grill. Cool Stuff

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  5. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Not the clearest photos but these are taken at Raton, New Mexico , Raton Dragstrip. No Longer around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. 1BADFE

1BADFE

Ken and Rick Hearn, thanks for you willingness to post and share these pics/history! It is very cool to see T-bolts and their drivers that you never get to see. Seems some, for some reason(s) are reluctant to post/share these rarer photos.

Thanks for keeping the nostalgia alive!!!

John

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  7. SOHC427

SOHC427

John, you couldn't have said it better! Thanks Ken, and Welcome Rick, look forward to meeting you soon!
    Eric

8. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

All the credit with these Photos goes to Ricks Mom Pat Hearn . These are all Photos that she had Saved. Most of the Photos Rick had were Burned up in a house fire. All that History lost. Wouldve liked to see it more when it was White with lettering. As it is these have been stored away for years. I Myself am a big fan of this era , I could look at these photos for hours. A time in Drag Racing I wish I could've been part of.

I believe this is Pat Hearn here.

[​IMG]

More tommorrow

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  9. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Ive' been trying to go back through some of the old posts to see if Hearns T Bolt has been accounted for. Lenny? anyone know?

10. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

The Hearns T-Bolt has been accounted for. It was mentioned in post #1086.

11. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Not sure why it ended up black?

Attached Files:

12. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

That is it, according to the Vin. I'ts been up for auction a couple times. The Description is way off though. Not sure how that happens.The restoration is Very Nice , Would like to see it up close sometime. Just need to win that Damn Powerball.

[​IMG]

13. wayne421

wayne421
    BANNED

14. wayne421

wayne421
    BANNED

15. 65COMET

65COMET

Wayne;KOOL PHOTOS!!!! ROY.

16. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Thats one of my favorite Droke pictures.

17. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

I ran across this one somewhere recently. It may have already been posted.

Attached Files:

18. LennyFreebern

LennyFreebern

Quite some time ago it was restored by Steve Banker for Pat McGroder. It is an original tbolt that was not re-bodied although the fiberglass was replaced due to damage over the years. Steve now lives in Snowflake, Az and now retired. He's shared some stuff from before the resto but is still rumaging through boxes to get to the rest. It was offered for sale at Kissimmee this year but I believe it did not meet reserve.

Len

19. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

The Rick Hearn Thunderbolt was run through the Mecum at Monterey auction in August 2010. The bidding went to $225,000 but the car did not reach the reserve so it did not sell.

In the description listed on the Mecum website for the auction, neither Hearn nor Courtesy Ford was mentioned. They did show the serial number and it was the correct one for Hearn's Thunderbolt.

It was again run through the Mecum Kissimmee auction in January 2012 and again did not sell. This time the bidding went to $200,000.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  20. ec164

ec164
    from MI

That body style is super cool too! Great Photo. Ive seen a Black one run in NMCA, it was sitting low and looked awesome. It seems like it was a 385 series engine with spray. Al

21. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Len, were you in town last week?

22. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Got a call from Len last week....a pleasant surprise. He's really been on the move. I hope he's rounded up some new info.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  23. LennyFreebern

LennyFreebern

Yes I was Tom. Complications prevented me from getting together with you. It's been hectic but productive. Met a lotta good folks on my trip. Just left Bill Dismuke's place this afternoon.

I look forward to passing along the info when I return home for r and r and to assimulate the info.

Len

24. wayne421

wayne421
    BANNED

25. wayne421

wayne421
    BANNED

26. wayne421

wayne421
    BANNED

27. wayne421

wayne421
    BANNED

28. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Keep them coming Wayne !!

29. Rick:

Welcome aboard !, Had a blast hangin out with you and ole Junky!, thinkin we need to go get some more BBQ soon!!!!!!

See ya!

"Fast Eddie"

30. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

A couple More of Rick Hearns Thunderbolt. I really like these shots Just a bunch of friends hanging out at the track. I think this is CDR in CastleRock.
    Hopefully More people will get out there and try and find some of these original drivers, and post some of there Photos. Thanks to the Hearn Family here was some Thunderbolt Photos that No one has ever seen.I hope everyone has enjoyed them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]