Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford Taurus cooling fan, WOW!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buzz bomb, Jun 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just curious, why didn't you want to go with a mechanical fan?

2. Ob1

Ob1

Me?

My Grumman has a mechanical fan with no thermo clutch, and no room to fit one. It is noisy and a constant load on the motor, but cools well.

The Grumman weighs 10Klbs, and is powered by a 292 I-6. I am hoping to free up a couple of horses, enjoy a quieter ride and maybe a little more MPG.

I already snagged an adjustable thermostat, now looking for the right fan and relay!

3. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Good Lord, give it a rest, this is info regular Joes can use to make their cars more traffic friendly.

4. Hellfish

Hellfish

I got one and hooked it up to a battery for testing and it sucked in a roll of shop towels from 3 feet away!

5. 32ratsass

32ratsass

You're right about this being usefull info, but take a deep breath and re-read the traditional comment. Pretty sure he was kidding, based on the IFS part of the comment.:)

6. They SUCK

an enormous amout of air!

I had to put one in mine. Not nearly enough room for everything in the "correct" locations. Right now mine is wired for low speed and only cycles onve in a while at idle, but I might change that so when the A/C is on it will run on high

7. houston54

houston54

I am using the same fan in my 54. Here are a couple of pics of it installed early in the build. I have since modified the mounts to take all the weight of the fan off the radiator core.

The shroud of this fan can be cut down to provide additional clearance. I think I trimmed 2 inches off mine.

I had wired it to have the high speed kick in with the AC compressor but it proved to be too much of a draw for the relay on the Derale fan controller. It works fine with the low speed though and I have an override switch to activate the high speed should it be needed.

So far it keeps the temps about 180 in Houston traffic with the AC blowing.

Attached Files:

8. If the fan is pulling more heat out of the radiator, but also blowing the contents of an entire 15 foot x 25 foot living room through the engine compartment every minute (3000 cu ft if it has 8' ceilings)... it might just be spreading that heat out over much, much more air. Just like dropping a hot rock in a teacup will raise the temp of the water a bunch, but you wouldn't notice it in a swimming pool.

So there's more total heat, but mixed in much, much more air...

Now off to measure the radiator in my pickup...

-Bill

9. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I put an electric fan in the 36' monsterhome in So. Cal. after climbing outta Palm Springs in July. I thought the heads were gonna come through the dog house it got so hot.
    The fan got me through 7000 miles with no problem after that. Even now in tucson and local environs it runs cool.

10. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Sarcasm is sometimes hard to detect... :cool:

11. TrailsLessTaken

TrailsLessTaken

I have one on my jeep that I have been using for a year now and have not had any problems with, got it from the local Pic A Part here for 20 bucks I think it was. Keeps my Jeep about 190-195 on low speed and I can kick it up to high if need be and drop it down to about 180 real quick

12. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

Hey Buzz 60 yr old here I have NEVER bought a fan from the aftermarket my drag car street rod and custom all have "recycled" fans how the heck ya think we did it in the old days all those parts got to the yards somehow and the engeneers that made em are a whole lot smarter that the ones that feed the after market quit reading those rags and spend a day at the yard with a tape measure you will learn tons now if I could just figure out how to spell and turn off this damm computre the yards are our last tresures not those damm mag owner they just know subscripion rates and how to print next time one of em wants to shoot your car askem what they are paying you will be surprised hamb is you friend

13. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Even when accompanied with emoticons.

14. superchiicken

superchiicken

off to the junkyard .. great info..

15. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

ha ha:)

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn, I forgot to pull that pair of fans off the 84 Deville I sent to the junkyard last week. Those pulled some pretty good air and were pretty thin but the Ford units look like they will pull a lot more air.

As for the "why didn't you use a mechanical fan thing" a lot of the engines we swap into these cars just don't have the fan in the right position to get the max use out of them in an older car. And with some of the highly modified cars some of us have there is no way a mechanical fan will accomplish anything in an attempt to get air through the radiator.

17. buzz bomb

buzz bomb

Drove it in traffic today and about 85F up and down Simi Valley, I'm like a little kid with this fan. No heating issues what so ever! 175F tops, I really recomend this little jewel to everyone, I really hope this thread could help someone out on the board.

Buzz Bomb

18. chopt49

chopt49

I snagged a Mercedes fan (at Pick n pull) and man it is powerful. compact and look better then most. You can see in the last picture WHY I went electric and made it a Pusher.

Attached Files:

• 08.jpg
      08.jpg
      File size:
      65.5 KB
      Views:
    • 11.jpg
      11.jpg
      File size:
      69.2 KB
      Views:
    • 16.jpg
      16.jpg
      File size:
      59.9 KB
      Views:
  19. SpikedLeatherworks

SpikedLeatherworks

Know this is an old thread, but that's a choice radiator setup you've got there. Love the brackets.

20. gatz

gatz

the 1st Gen Taurus being 1986 - 1991 ?

would the Merc Sable of the same years have the same fan?

some further reading about the Taurus suggests that the 1988 Lincoln Cont used the same drive train as the Taurus...perhaps it used the same cooling fan also?

How could this be made into a pusher?

21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Mount it in front of the radiator.

22. terryr

terryr
    from earth

The fan blades can't be flipped. The plastic fits onto the shaft one way.

The Taurus have 2 fans. The 3.0 L is smaller than the 3.8. Sable is the same.

LTDs had an auxiliary electric for a few years that fit inside the shroud. 18 inch.

23. JEM

JEM

a) Yes

b) Yes

c) Not sure.

d) You'd need to mount it with the bracket opposite the radiator; the fan won't be very efficient spinning backward.

For a puller, the Taurus fan's a good one, the Lincoln Mark 8 fan is even beefier if you've got room.

Many factory pushers were auxiliary fans on Euro cars with engine-driven fans. Can't think of too many that use a pusher as a primary fan.

24. That is funny right there .. :D

25. abodyjoe

abodyjoe

Have heard quite a bit of good things about those fans. The Chevy hhr fan is another one that is dirt cheap and gets great feedback. Rock auto carries them.

Had that Zirgo garbage on my car at one time. Thins froze up 2 hours from home.

26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As JEM said in the post above the fan would have to be mounted so it pushed the air through the radiator into the engine compartment. Not a hard thing to do but it won't butt up to the radiator like it does on the back side.

27. I'm wondering about the noise level of these fans?
    Say....compared to a 1970's mechanical fan?

I've got a slant 6 in a forklift and the damn fan just roars, even
    though it's governed to 2500rpm! I'd like
    to replace it with a quieter unit.

BTW.....am I off topic if I say it's for a forklift and not a hotrod?

28. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I'm running one of these fans on my SBC powered jeep. They work great as long as you wire them correctly. I was blowing fuses all last summer and getting really pissed off, I wired mine into a 3 position switch with a 40 amp fuse and relay for low, and a 70 amp fuse and relay for high. The last time I wheeled the heep I went through 5 or 6 fuses, I was so pissed I almost hard wired the fan to the battery.

Glad I didn't, come to find out my hood was rubbing on the wiring harness causing it to short out. DOH!

Another fan to look into that pulls MASSIVE air would be the Mark 8 fans.

29. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Actually pretty quiet as far as electric fans go. My jeep has an open top, 350 with dual 2" pipes and glass packs. You can not hear it running at idle.

30. Model T1

Model T1

Mine are like the Taurus fan but for a T-bird of about the same years. Powerful two speed fans. Got two from Sumpter Co. swap meet in mid-Florida from a vendor who has new but defective stuff. The two fans I picked up had small irregularities in the shrouds. Happened to be where I needed to trim them for my Yeller 41 Ford with 55 Chevy radiator and 350. Other went into 55 Chevy wagon.
    These things will suck a mini skirt off a fat woman standin 10 feet away!
    Many swap meets have good electric fans of all sizes and shapes. Remember, they cool new cars with very small air passages. They are ugly and not traditional but work in todays world.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.