Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford Taurus cooling fan, WOW!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buzz bomb, Jun 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buzz bomb

buzz bomb

Has anyone ever use a ford cooling fan off a 87-93 Ford Taurus? I just picked one up really cheap and was impressed to say the least! I had a Zirgo that put out somewhere around 3000cfm (Claimed) and did the job, but when going up hill in 90F plus weather it would get a little warm (somewhere around 200F). So I decided to give this fan a try, well the results were amazing! 175-180F tops! and jamin up the same hill in the same weather. I had to add a bosch 75 amp relay and upgrade to 8 gauge wire, and I also added a controller that would kick in at 160. But all in all that was the best money I have dropped in a while. If you have any cooling issues this is the ticket by far.:D:D

Buzz Bomb
    <!-- / message -->

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
    AHotRod likes this.
  2. big creep

big creep

pictures on how big or small it is? i dont have a who lot of room on the 49, i would like to see what you got?

3. evintho

evintho

Yeah, Taurus fans are all the rage in the Mustang community. Slim, fairly compact and do an awesome job of cooling. I went a different route on my setup with an '89 Thunderbird SuperCoupe fan. Does a superb job of cooling! $12.50 at Pick-n-Pull's half price day.

[​IMG]

4. buzz bomb

buzz bomb

16" FAN - 9 BLADES
    SHROUD IS : 22" X 17" X 5"
    2 SPEED-3 WIRE (GROUND, LOW+, HIGH+)
    Theese are the specs, I will post some pics soon of the install. It's really no bigger then the zirgos or spal's, just a little thicker.

Buzz Bomb

5. buzz bomb

buzz bomb

Your not kidding! theese fans are really cheap, and kick ass on anything I have ever installed before.

6. Look into the amp draw on spool up for those fans. Put a heavy duty high load capable relay in the system for that deal. Yes the mustang and off-road guys have been using these for a while. Like said. Compact and just work!

7. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I just tried out my dual fan setup from a contour(I didn't have enough room b etween the pully and rad for a single fan) and my car has never run so cool with just the low speed. . Unbelieveable difference in cockpit/firewall heat too.

8. buzz bomb

buzz bomb

Yeah that's another thing, my firewall is waaay cooler. As far as amp draw i used a really good relay, good thick multi strand wire, and a good controller. I am a happy camper to say the least.

Buzz Bomb

9. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

if the fan is pulling more heat out of the radiator into the engine bay, wouldnt you firewall get hotter? I guesss not.... just thinkin out loud..

10. big creep

big creep

just add thicker insulation at the fire wall, or lizard skin it keeps the temp down!

11. big creep

big creep

damn! 5 inches, that might be too thick? ill have to double check, but thanks for posting it!

12. retromotors

retromotors

Great thread, good info.
    Thanks guys!

13. 33_chevy

33_chevy
    from TX

Gonna go look for one...

14. jasone

jasone

Awesome, would love to go this route, might be a little to wide for mine but worth a look.

15. Ob1

Ob1

Is the blade reversible? I've got room out front...

16. Deuces

Deuces

The newer Stangs have those electric fans... I never had a problem yet in stop n' go traffic and 90* plus degrees out with the ~~ blastin' out at full boogie.

17. Flat Power

Flat Power
    from New Jersey

I <3 elertric fans!

18. cool post, thanks
    what generation of Taurus' (Tauri?) is this from?

19. sorry guys, I just re-read the origional post and my bad...answer is first gen.

20. Another case in point--there is a cheap junkyard solution to nearly every automotive challenge. No matter what problem you're trying to solve, some engineer has already solved essentially the same problem on a regular production car. The problem on the Taurus was how to pull enough air through a very small grille opening to keep it from running hot.

21. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Looks like those dimensions might just fit the Mustang/Falcon radiators used in so many hot rods.

22. Me Be Mr. B

Me Be Mr. B
    from Spokane,Wa

They work great, but that got out along time ago and now finding one at a pick N pull type yard is nearly impossable here...

23. sinks88

sinks88

I dig the ford contour ones!

24. buzz bomb

buzz bomb

No I dont think it is, I checked with the shop I bought it from and they said no.

Buzz Bomb

25. Yeah you right. Many years ago an old hot rodder told me to "always go the junk yard first, unless you just have a lot of money to piss away."
    I haven't always used his advice, but wish I had.:)

26. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

Thanks for posting

27. 100% Matt

100% Matt

I belive 92 Crown Vic have the same fan. In 92 Ford did a closed grill on all their passneger car models which called for a larger diameter fan. I took mine out of a 92 Ford Taurus.

Attached Files:

28. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Doesn't look very traditional to me... Now back to installing my IFS... :cool:

29. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

30. Ob1

Ob1

Thanks Buzz!

If anyone has an idea where to find a fairly compact high CFM pusher fan {quieter the better} lemme know!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.