Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford Spindles 37-41 on 36 Dodge axle.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 33 Dodge, Jan 10, 2011.

1. 33 Dodge

33 Dodge

I am kicking the idea around of putting 37-41 Ford spindles on a 36 Dodge I-beam axle. My spindles are shot, and the availability of Ford parts is endless. The Dodge axle boss is 2.375, and has a spacer at the bottom like a Ford spindle. The kingpin in the Dodge axle is about .790. I think that between the axle boss size and kingpin size i am ok. The part I do not know is the lock pin location of the Ford in relation to the Dodge. I am sure one of you guys can shed some light on adapting these spindles to this axle. Any help much appreciated.

2. Ricci32

Ricci32

Straight axel race cars use a set screw and a notch in the king pin drrill and tap the king pin eye in the axel and grind a notch in the pin. for safety you can drill and tap the top of the pin and install a cap so the pin can't fall through again common on race cars.

3. R Pope

R Pope

I'd try some '60's Dodge pickup spindles.

4. RPM

RPM

What about the angle of the king pin? Is it the same? Reaming the Dodge spindle should not be a big problem.

5. 33 Dodge

33 Dodge

RPM thanks for the point about the king pin angle. As far as i can tell a Dodge and Ford axle have 8 degrees. That was with a digital level. Does this sound close? Thanks.

6. Marko

Marko

There had been quite a bit of info here on doing what you want. Check out the search function, and you should find all you need to know, and then some.
    Mark

7. big-daddy-george

big-daddy-george
    from New York

As Marko stated,this has been discussed extensively on here. I've done it several times myself. The biggest problem is the camber that you will have with the Ford Spindles on the Plymouth axle.The top of the tire leans out. It gets worse when you turn the wheels. I took a little slice out of the top of the axle just behind the king pin boss to straighten up the camber ,brought it in and welded it. Took care of the problem.

8. gladeparkflyer

gladeparkflyer
    BANNED

i swapped '59dodge D100 spindles and drums onto my '33 plymouth axle. it was as easy as hoggin out the kingpin bosses to .875 and drilling my steering arms for the bigger truck hardware. the cool part is people GIVE away that old dodge hardware and the geometry works out right. :)