Register now to get rid of these ads!

ford shoebox rear shocks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tedley, Nov 26, 2011.

1. I'm just installing rear airshocks in my 50 ford and was wondering about the severe stock angle of the factory set up. Is anyone else running air shocks in there shoebox in a stock location? I just don't want to go thru all the trouble of relocating the upper mounts if the factory set up works ok. I realise the airshocks would probably work better if they where straighter. Is it worth the trouble?

2. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I never thought my 51's were at that extreme of an angle but make sure if your using air shocks that upper mount is really, REALLY solid

3. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

My car has 3" block in the back & the shock angle seems a bit steep to me too , but will most likely work with my stock-style shocks . As for the air shocks , I'm not sure ...

4. The upper factory shock mounts are very well built with the bolt assy going thru the entire frame with a sleeve in the rail. I don't see a problem there.
    I'll add a pic later

5. I welded a tube above the rearend that goes between frame rail -rail . Not actually right above the axle, but offset more towards the back. Welded mount tabs on it, calculated the length I needed for the shocks and used shocks that had a stud on both ends. Worked great! The stock location of the shocks is a joke!

6. Well i got off my lazy ass and relocated the shocks. One anyway for now. Glad i did. Was fairly simple. I moved the upper back 4 1/2 inches. Should work better.
    Used the original shock bolt and installed a tube insert in the frame like ford did.
    It's all good.

Attached Files:

7. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Wow! My 51 has either already been moved or 51's are different. On mine they are almost verticle.

8. I think 51's are the same. I'm sure yours have been moved

9. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo