Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford sending unit olms question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRodToomer, Aug 21, 2008.

1. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

now as you all know because of the re-worked floor and rear panel on my 58' chevy i cant run a stock tank.
    so my next best chioce was a 60'-63' Ford Falcon tank.
    Bolts in more simply, being i also lack strap mounts, and also gives a simpler filler neck being that it comes right out the top.
    so what is the difference between the olms on the ford tank to the chevy guadge?
    thanks.

2. JAWS

JAWS

Gm in your 58 is 0-30 ohms

Ford had a few different ones

Early ones were 100-10 ish range, but I have seen early ones like 90-5 ohms..

Grab the sender and your ohm meter to see what you have...that's the only way to know for sure. Remember ford gauges were 6 volt also...

3. JAWS

JAWS

Just a thought, if you chev sender was good, you can always fab it to fit the ford mount and use the ford arm to boot.

4. what Jaws said it correct , as you can see they have different ohms and work opposite

you will need to adapt a Gm sender to your tank to get your `58 chevy gauge to read correctly

5. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

one idea, my dad did this with his 56, a universal sending unit.
    and the only thing with the falcon tank, sending units on the side, my tank in the 58 now is out of some pick up and has a top mount.
    my best bet also might be what you said 36, getting a chevy sending unit, i know 56, bolts into the side and the tanks are almost the same.