Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford roller cam/ distributor issue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by COOP, Apr 15, 2020.

1. COOP

COOP

Very confused on a distributor issue with a 302 ford engine. The engine is a stock roller cam build. I have a Mallory comp 900 electronic distributor that came with a bronze gear. Research has told me not to use a gear manufactured for a billet roller cam with the Ford cam. A stock gear from the Ford cam is a special material. The shaft size on the Ford distributor is different than the Mallory unit. I called Mallory, and they said this unit has been discontinued and have no info on it. Does some one make a gear compatible with the stock Ford roller cam that will fit the Mallory unit? Recently I have purchased a GM type HEI distributor for a 302 roller motor and had to order a special part # to get the correct gear. Any info would be of help......you guys have been a big help in the past....I need you again. Thanx

2. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

I'm using the factory distributor for a 1985 5.0l HO on my '90 HO and have had no problems

Deuces likes this.
  3. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

If the distributor gear from the ford distributor would fit the Mallory he wouldn't have a problem either! Op can go to SBFT.com, all Ford there or wait a bit it will come up here.

4. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Kinda missed the point. Trash the Mallory and replace it with a readily replaced factory piece as good (or better) than the Mallory.

Deuces likes this.

5. CobraJoe

CobraJoe

IMO, steel gear on steel cam. Bronze is sacrificial and need to be replaced often.

Deuces and X38 like this.
  6. gary terhaar

gary terhaar
    from oakdale ny

If the hole in the factory gear is too small,reem or hone it to fit. I have done this quite a bit. Any competent engine builder should have the means to do such.

Deuces likes this.
  7. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Ford roller cam distributors have a larger shaft than points distributors as well as being steel instead of cast iron. What you need to do is measure your shaft, it probably takes the old style smaller shaft gear, you can get them in steel in both shaft diameters. I think the small gear is .467 and the larger shaft one is .502, but I’m not 100% positive on those measurements, you can google it and find out for sure.

CobraJoe and Deuces like this.
  8. Mimilan

Mimilan

This is a smaller shaft diameter melonized distributor gear
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/maa-29418pd

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020