Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford rear drum resurfacing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gotit, Apr 29, 2014.

1. gotit

gotit

How do you turn the rear drums without removing the hub on my 48 ford. I see the taper for the axle is pressed in but can I remove that and then get it back in? The shaft on the machine that turns the drums is 1"

Input is very appreciated

2. there are some brake drum lathes with attachments that can do it , i have an older brake lathe and it can not

i believe Dick Spadaro has a machine that can

if your drums are turnable i suggest you leave the drums/hubs together and find someone with a machine that can

3. If you remove the hubs to turn the drums you should turn the drums again after you reinstall them on the hubs, it is sort of an endless loop. Try contacting local Model A and Early Ford V8 clubs and see who they use to turn drums. Worst case call some of the suppliers and see if you can ship them the drums to be turned.

Charlie Stephens

4. llonning

llonning

Been 30 years ago, but if I remember with an AMMCO I used the VW spindle and a tapered adapter. Like I said been 30 years.

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My pal Bonneville Butch (San Jose, CA) used his 14 foot engine lathe: he had an axle shaft he chucked up, then came in from behind with a 3/8" cutting tool, on a large fabricated 120 degree arm rigged from the spindle.

I'd also ask some of the early Ford guys, there was a standard for doing these.

6. Meyer

Meyer

I am trying to figure this out too. I have heard an AAMCO 5000 machine can do it. I made calls earlier today around Indy and found a place. Hubs do have to stay on it though

7. gotit

gotit

I went down to the parts house and did some digging in their old tool storage and ended up finding the correct shaft to fit the hubs. It has a much smaller diameter shaft and very steep cones. I fit them and checked for runout on the hub face before I cutting. The owner said I could cut them if I wanted so I did it myself.

The weird part was the deepest grove was where the outside of the shoe rode towards the hub. It was like that part never wore down and kept the full thickness. I thought it was odd.

I also ordered new seals for the front and rear and the front seals are leather.

8. That's probably the one he found, used it many times back in the day for all sorts of applications.
    [​IMG]

9. gotit

gotit

That's exactly the one I found and used. It worked perfectly

10. llonning

llonning

Yep, you got it!!!

11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Great news. Thank that owner!

Those front seals are most likely 'Chicago Rawhide', from the original company that founded its home base in Chicago, pulling raw materiel directly from the slaughter houses.
    I still have a pair of those on the front of my F100. Just clean them and put 'em back on when repacking bearings... seem to last forever!

12. gotit

gotit

The leather seals are new National seals from carquest. They came in a carquest box and they are stamped National and Mexico. It's very soft leather, I was worried they would be hard to push over the lip of the seal area but they went on nice and smooth.

13. adam401

adam401

Dont want to hijack and this may be a stupid question but when you say after you reinstall are you saying there is a way to swedge a drum onto the studs like factory and not run the drums as slip ons? Thanks

14. gotit

gotit

Some of the old ford suppliers will swedge then for you or you can buy the tool and do it yourself. I'm sure it takes quite a bit of pressure though

15. adam401

adam401

Thanks for the answer, I didn't know that which is weird:eek:.