Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford owns your pictures of your Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by a lost cause, Jan 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. restoroddin

restoroddin

Now come on, one of you Photoshop gurus has got to do this!!!!!:D

2. There is a law about "public" photos.

Meaning that if you shoot a street scene in public and inadvertenly catch a person in the photo you don't need their permission to shoot the photo and I understand no permission needed to sell the photo either.

If'n I was doing a Ford calendar, I'd make a point to shoot semi-famous areas that had been photo'd a bunch and if a nice Mustang just happened to be sitting there, Ce' la Vie....

Looks like Ford must have hired some of McDonalds asshole lawyers....

3. i sent a link for this thread to f&#d (didn't want to get sued) motor company. lets see if they show up to either clear the air or prove that they are pricks.

4. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

Wouldn't most traditional Ford Hot Rods be public domain by now?

5. I just made this, and I think I can do it pretty consistently, can Ford come after me?
    [​IMG]

6. What do you call a million lawyers at the bottom of Lake Superior?

7. Change the F to a T and change the O to a U, and it'll look like the same thing from far away, but say something completely different if you really look it close.

8. draggin breath

draggin breath

Ford doesnt want people to see how good their products were. They have bastardized every deal they've bought in from the used parts business to Jaguar. They NEED to have their car business go flush to warn the other two of the big 3 that the customer is #1.........

9. They can have this one, gratis...

Attached Files:

10. KutThrtKustms

KutThrtKustms
    BANNED
    from SO.CAL.

Damn glad my Ford is an Edsel, lets see what Ford can do with that. HA!!

11. ArtGeco

ArtGeco
    from Miami

I know a thing or two about copyright law.
    In theory it would hold up, truth be told a
    cease and desist order is given before a
    law suit is inacted. Most people hang it up
    at that point.

12. restoroddin

restoroddin

I think they even have their 'script' copyrighted. So... yes!:confused:

13. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

A GOOD START !!!

14. RF

RF

Yeah, funny enough, if it weren't for FoMoCo, I wouldn't have a Ferrari in my garage, filled to the brim with dope, at my summer place in the Hamptons. Funny enough, that reply was about as close to being factual as yours!

Anyway, Ford ain't the only one guilty of this--General Motors has and still is following "suit" as it were...Chevy Duty, for one, was forced to change its name, despite a long-standing verbal agreement (20 years running) with GM.

15. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like Ford US has realy dropped the ball, Im glad that Ford Australia is still making some good cars. For instance the Falcon GT-P and other performane varients. All V8 rear wheel drive.
    Glad Im building an Austin now, though it was going to be Ford powered as I have a spare genuine 500hp 351C, but I realy want a 392 Hemi but the $$ factor is crazy here, as much as 5 grand for a rebuilder!

16. Leaky Pipes

Leaky Pipes

This thread title is completley misleading and causing alot of people to miss "Fords" legal right here so, I will put this into perspective as I have a little knowledge of copyright/trademark law from being in the music industry.

I'm going to substitute the name "Ford" with "Led Zeppelin" as an example.

You own a large collection of rare Led Zeppelin memorabilia pics/recordings etc.

-You can keep it.
    -You can sell it.
    -You can trade it.

-You CANT charge people to come to your "Led Zeppelin museum" to see/listen to it.

-You CANT make copies of the music/art and sell it anywhere unless they liscense it to you. (Bob Drake I believe is liscensed to re pop Ford items)

-You CANT reproduce any original Zep art and sell Led Zeppelin calenders to the public.(Ford can sell Ford calenders -no one else can)

-You CANT use the Led Zeppelin name/image/music etc etc in anyway that allows you to make a dime.

Ford doesnt own the pictures. You do. But they do own the proprietary right to use their name and likeness exclusively as they see commercially fit. Not you.

Use the words "So-Cal" instead of Zeppelin and this will all seem even more obvious.

I hope this helps.

17. zbuickman

zbuickman

with all the talk of this and Ford..... who the hell own the copyright to Super Duty???? Because both Turd and GM use it on and off on a regular basis. and neiter one is sueing the other.

18. bonesy

bonesy

Too cool

19. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

Hey Rusty bolts, that's funny right there!! Will the lawyers get pissed at me for using the phrase, "Have you driven a Turd lately"?

Another of many reasons not to drive one.

The NFL doesn't want anyone to publicly talk about the Super Blow, true, the sports guys on radio can't talk about it without permission.

20. S.F.

S.F.

21. junkyardroad

junkyardroad
    from Colorado

Most modern fords do suck. I won in court. Tape the emblem, use the pics, and let them find you.

22. Squablow

Squablow

They royally fucked themselves over with that move too. Go read some of the old threads on the VW boards about that, a lot of pissed off Volkswagen guys and VW didn't make a dime on it I'm sure.

Ford should have learned their lesson from the VW deal. In the end, you fuck over a bunch of your most loyal fans and you don't make any more money.

Even if it is within their legal rights to do so, doesn't mean it's a good idea.

23. No, no, NO! Come on people, pay attention. Leaky Pipes has the best perspective on this issue. This is a trademark issue, not copyright. Ford owns the trademark on it's name, logos, and even the shape of the products it sells. Just like every other manufacturer. It's called trade dress. The Ford legal team didn't sue the BMC, they just said, "Hey, you don't have the permission to do what you're doing." Cease and desist. Go through the right process. All the BMC had to do was to ask first, and possibly even "buy" the rights for a buck, and then all would be fine.

From another site regarding another instance of this kind of thing:

"Although you and your members may own the Ford automobile, you do not own the rights to the trade dress. Taking pictures of any Ford automobiles, placing them on products (i.e. calendar, mugs, t-shirts, etc.) and making them available to the public for sale is an infringement of Ford's intellectual property rights."

"Because of the cachet of the world-famous Ford name, thousands of independent businesses and people make a living from or pursue a hobby related to Ford products and services. Unfortunately, many of these businesses improperly attempt to affiliate themselves with Ford by using Ford trademarks and trade dress (for instance, the depictions or photographs of Ford's distinctively shaped vehicles) in advertising their products and services."

"If a business not affiliated with Ford uses any Ford trademark, whether through the use of photographs, depictions or silhouettes, or any confusingly similar variation thereof, without Ford's express, written consent, then that business is violating Federal and state trademarks laws."

"It is also not sufficient for a business to state that it is not affiliated with Ford but continue to use Ford trademarks without permission. The business is still misappropriating the goodwill and reputation developed by Ford, and attempting to capitalize on or profit from Ford's goodwill and reputation. Even with the best of intentions, unauthorized use of another company's trademark is against the law."

"At times Ford enthusiasts question why Ford is so adamant about policing it's trademarks and preventing unauthorized uses or infringements of them. It is quite common for someone who is using a trademark without permission to say, "I'm giving Ford free advertising, so why does Ford care?" Ford cares because it is important that Ford be able to exercise control over the quality of the product or service bearing Ford's trademarks."

"To protect the value of its trademarks, Ford is obligated to object to and pursue unauthorized uses of its trademarks and trade dress, even if the use of the trademark or trade dress does not appear offensive or objectionable."

Also, photos taken for "news purposes" don't fall under this realm.

This is nothing at all like taking a picture of a "publicly accessible scene" or "stoplight cameras" or any other crazy things I've read today on several sites when this story broke.

Hope this helps get rid of (some of) the confusion.

24. Goldy

Goldy

It seems to be a perfectly good idea. We could release a few thousand felons that are occupying space in our prisions for comitting things like armed robbery, rape, murder, and drug trafficking. Then we could have the room in prision for the people that took pictures of FORDS. Then the felons could work cheap on the assembly line at Ford and then they could try to compete with Toyota . COME ON FOMOCO GET A LIFE !!!!! GOLDY

25. Leaky Pipes

Leaky Pipes

Nitrobrother has put this thread -thru the eye of a needle! Read his post!

26. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

They own the pics of my A? it has a Chevy motor....
    maybe G.M. and Ford can fight it out for the right to sue me....:rolleyes:

27. One other aspect of this -- and every manufacturer in the country is obligated to do this -- is that you HAVE to defend your rights to a trademark or potentially give up all rights to them. That's why Harley (I used to work at the KC plant and they drilled this into us) is SO anal about not allowing ANYTHING that uses the bar and shield. If you don't say, "hey wait a minute, that's not a legal use of that symbol/name/shape" then you give up the ownership of that mark. It's stupid, but it's not Ford's fault that trademark law is like it is in this country.

28. makes me glad im a chevy guy!!

29. thewishartkid

thewishartkid

I believe if you read the small print on ZZTop,Movies with Ford cars,etc they have permission from Ford!

30. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Harley Example:
    In Sioux City, IA, they used to have an event called "Awesome Harley Nights"
    Now it's called "Awesome Biker Nights".

(Which IS actually a good time - cruise/show with high attendance and they had no problem with me riding an RD350 2-stroke Yamaha street bike in it. :))

Think this thread's gonna get closed? I wouldn't blame the mods for doing so.

Malcolm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.