Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford owns your pictures of your Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by a lost cause, Jan 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TINGLER

TINGLER

...so why doesn't Ford go after car magazines that make money by publishing photos of FORD cars and trucks?

2. jonny o

jonny o

Because, funny enough, Ford probably pays for most of those advertisements.... uh.... editorials.

3. Beach Bum

Beach Bum

Yes and no. A photographer owns the images he or she takes, unless they are working under a contract that says different. Now, I can take a picture of your car at a show and it's my photo. Lets say I sell that image to a wax company for use in their magazine ads. You could sue them for using an image of your property to promote a product without your permission. It's called commercial use. You would have to give written permission for your property to be used to promote their product, at which point you could say "Sure, but it will cost you." That's a simplistic example. It is usually a hell of a lot more complicated but you get the general idea.

Kurt O. (long suffering, occasionally published automotive photographer)

4. restoroddin

restoroddin

I don't care who you are... that's funny right there!!!!!:D

5. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

If they were this concerened over quality control in the late 90's to early 2000's my wife and daughter would not be driving Toyotas, and my Business trucks would not be GM.
    But they must know what is important:confused::confused::confused::confused:

6. hemi

hemi

If you take a photograph of the Coke logo, a copyrighted image, you own that photo. You can say it's art. If you mass-produce a copy of the image you have taken, but the subject is copyrighted, you can not make money off of it without permission. The lights of the Eiffel Tower and even the Caddys buried in the ground in Texas are copyrighted like this and you must apply for permission before using them. This is the grounds that Ford is claiming.

It's not really Ford so much as it's their wolf-pack lawyer firm who combs the net and copyright applications, and then bills them for stamping out the fires. I got a few of their nice letters a few years back when I began looking into doing a car magazine, thus causing me to do a little research. After a year and a half in continuances and legal stallings, I just gave up... even though I was right under the "fair usage" area. They just bleed you dry unless you are big enough to cause them some serious publicity.

7. big business fucking everyone for a buck......try Harley Davidson..even worse than Ford

8. SquashThatFly

SquashThatFly

does this mean they own the rights to a Ford Tattoo on my arm and i need to pay them for it?

9. restoroddin

restoroddin

Not if you cut it off and beat them with the bloody end. That, however, opens up a whole different set of legal issues:eek:

10. Sounds like too much legal mumbo jumbo. But I bet what Ford is really trying to do is to keep people from selling stuff with the Ford name or logo on it without their authorization. They don't want people pawning off stuff as if it has the Ford Motor Company behind it. Like if someone sells something like a clock shaped like the Ford script logo, they want a piece of the action, or they don't want some badly made product to be giving them a bad reputation, like if the product catches fire or injures small children or something, they don't want the bad publicity if the product somehow seems that it is affiliated with or endorsed by Ford. Or if someone was selling a book called something like "The Official Ford Handbook", or a calendar called "The Official Ford Car Calendar", and the product had the Ford logo right on there, and most people who casually looked at it would assume Ford authorized it or endorsed it, then they would probably have a right to complain about it. The legal statements they make probably try to be all-encompassing so that it won't be too easy for people to sneak around the rules. I can't imagine them suing a magazine because there were pictures of old Fords in there -- unless maybe someone started publishing a magazine called "Ford". But then you could call it F.O.R.D. and tell them it stands for "Found On Road Dead" or "Fix Or Repair Daily".

11. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

No....but if you try to sell your arm.......watch out!:D

12. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Yeah Harley would have a real time with the Tatoo issue wouldnt they ? Could you see them telling a 300 pound biker he cant have that tatoo on his arm..I'd pay a dollar to watch that!

13. To paraphrase or quote Rustybolts "shaped like the Ford script logo, they want a piece of the action, or they don't want some badly made product to be giving them a bad reputation, like if the product catches fire or injures small children or something," Ya like the Ford products that catch fire and injure small children......

14. The tattoo artist that did your Ford tattoo is probably technically in violation.

VW did the same thing a few years ago. They were shutting down any website with a VW logo or a beetle shape depicted on it. Didn't matter if it was a major mail order parts site or some 12 year old kid that happened to like Beetles.

15. TINGLER

TINGLER

O.k., so were they telling you that you couldn't publish photos of Ford cars or what?

Also, it occurs to me that things like Ed Roth's sticker designs in the 60's would NOT be possible with these companies going rabid over the bucks.

.....which stinks.

16. hemi

hemi

No, I wanted to do a magazine called Boss Ride.... 60's stuff, drag cars, lotsa Cragars, Gassers, etc... I applied for the copyright and about a week before it was to go through it was contested by their legal firm. It's an adjective that they purchased from the English language that you can't use for anything now... Even though I found plenty of usage in print from well before the Mustang.... I ended up doing a lot of research on copyrighting and fair usage.

17. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

WHAT? cant use BOSS?
    somebody better tell Bruce Springsteen..

18. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

They really went after Obsolete Ford Parts and they had to change his name after 30 years of business.....Wonder why they haven't gone after fiberglass body makers...????

http://www.obsoletefordparts.com/

19. hemi

hemi

Anything automotive... :D

20. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

and how about Mikes "A" FORD-able parts..hell his name is even in a Blue Oval last book I got.

21. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

oh my bad..i got carried away with the moment thanks hemi

22. I had a run in with VWs copyright police at a motor trade show a few years ago. These young guys come on the stand - all smiles and expensive clothes - and you could just see how fucking delighted he looked when he started asking us "why these engine blocks have our logo on them" (thinking they were fakes, I guess). My pal replies "because we bought them from you!". It was tough not to crack up the way this guys "I´ve got you now" smile disappeared from his face in about .01 of a second.

What sucks is that they don´t want you to even put their name or logo on say, a hubcap. Even if they don´t want to make that hubcap anymore, but it had the logo on it originally, they don´t want you making or selling them. Naturally these are the same companies that like to talk about their great "heritage" and "history". Idiots.

23. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Ha ha.. Fuck em .. I can take all the pics i want and sell em.. my car is a fake .. Ill just call it this fucking car.. (unless that copyrighted too)
    :D:D:D:D:D:D
    Dave

24. so this means Meadors could sue ya for painting your 32 tudor yellow???? if this law is so vauge

25. Pretty funny. Yeah, like Ford Pintos bursting into flames, or the older Ford Explorers rolling over with ease.

I watched an older movie the other night called "Harley Davidson and the Marlborough Man". I wonder if there were lawsuits involved in making that movie? Or the movie "Ford Fairlane" with Andrew Dice Clay?

Lawyers -- making life miserable for everyone except themselves.

26. hemi

hemi

No... Hot Hues owns the Goodguys Yellow color... :D

YOU got enough problems with your Tom Daniel Pie Wagon... LOL.

27. hemi

hemi

We like to call 'em "Settle Upsidedown Vehicles" :D

28. Yeah, that's bull when they take an everyday slang word and claim they own it. I remember using the word "Boss" in the '60s before they started using it on Mustangs. You'd see a cool car drive by and say, "That car is BOSS". Or "those new Schwinn Stingrays are really BOSS!". It was just Ford ripping off some common slang word for kids and calling it their own.

What are they going to do now, come out with the new Ford "Yeah Buooooy" Mustang, and copyright "Yeah Buooooy" and put a little picture of Flava Flave on the side? Or the new Ford "Wutsup Bitches?" Mustang.

29. yeah.I just checked with DMV the plate might say "NO PIES":D

30. HemiDave

HemiDave
    from Austin, TX

Anyone have a 'Ford' tattoo?:eek::D

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.