Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford-O-matic trans fluid

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57 3100, Sep 26, 2010.

1. 57 3100

57 3100

guys,
    my buddy has a 1960 edsel ranger with a 292 and 2 speed ford-o-matic trans.
    it slips slightly going from 1-2 under acceleration, so we want to change the fluid and filter to try this first.
    his manual says to use type "A" fluid, but none of our local stores carry it. they say to use type "F" fluid, and on the bottle it says for 1950's and 1960's ford transmissions.
    what do you guys use or recommend ?
    also he was told that the filter is a "clean and reinstall" filter ? does that sound correct ? if not, where can we get a new filter for it at ?
    i guess when he drops the pan that will tell us more....

thanks for the help.

leonard

2. gearsforguts

gearsforguts
    from temple,pa

The filter should just be a very fine screen mesh,so you can just clean it.i had a ford o matic in m y 61 falcon,i always used type f never seemed to have a problem.

3. Chalupa55

Chalupa55
    from So-Cal

Although the Ford-o-matic in the full size fords are different than the ones in the Falcons they both use type F and have screens as stated above. The early full size are a cast iron case and the smaller falcon is an aluminum case. I have both and my full size started to slip a bit between 1st and 2nd and in reverse until it warmed up. Check the kick down linkage it may need to be adjusted thats what was wrong with mine. Also you could try putting a small dixie cup worth of brake fluid in, it will help soften the seal and may help sticky servos. Good luck

4. 57 3100

57 3100

thanks guys... i guess we will go with the type "F" fluid...
    and just clean the screen..
    thanks a bunch for the help.

leonard

5. 1950Effie

1950Effie
    from no where

Brass screen filter, clean and reuse. Type F fluid or B&M trickshift either way.

6. 57 3100

57 3100

cool. easy enough.... clean and reuse... nice and easy.

leonard

7. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Sounds like you may have low mainline pressure, or a shot direct drive clutch. Drop the pan and inspect for clutch pieces. Clean filter and throw some F or FA fluid in there and let us know what happens.