Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Ford-o-Matic Tranny Killing Me!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by RednekYoga, Feb 2, 2019.

1. RednekYoga

RednekYoga

Hey hotrodders,
    I've got a 63 Comet with the 260 that runs and shifts good, but when I come to a hard stop, the motor dies. I have checked my carb float and all that, and I can tell that the issue is with the clutching. There's no TCC solenoid in that tranny, so a new torque converter might be in order. Trouble is, I can't find one anywhere. Can I put the C4 converter in there? Thanks all.

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

If your torque converter performs properly in all other driving phases, I doubt the TC is your problem. Carb related in some way is my expectation.

Does your carb have a ‘dashpot’ (damper on carb throttle linkage that ‘softens’ the closing of the throttle plates) installed? And, if so, does it function correctly? How about idle speed? Has the carb been cleaned thoroughly internally recently?

54vicky and ClayMart like this.
  3. What he said... ^^^ ;)

Also check your ignition points gap (if so equipped). Look as well for excessive side-play in the distributor shaft. With enough wear, at idle the points may not be opening as they should. And check the wiring in the distributor closely, especially anything that flexes when the vacuum advance plate moves.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    Hnstray likes this.
  4. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

I have a few questions..."when I come to a hard stop, the motor dies"
    1) how about keeping it in low gear, running, say, 20mph then hard stop does it die?
    2) drive along, shift into neutral at say, 10mph...then 20mph...etc. then hard stop does it die?
    3) does it die, hard stop in reverse?
    4) last stopping at various degrees (from gentle to really hard stop) when does it die.

I'm thinking those results may give a clue.

Many years ago wife had a 68 Firebird that would cut out like that. I found out the distributor wire had a worn place...hit the brakes hard and it was swinging over shorting out.
    Yours I'm thinking ignition or fuel.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

283john and Hnstray like this.

5. Quite often most carb problems turn out to be ignition.

Hnstray likes this.
  6. garyf

garyf

If you have power brakes how does it idle in park with your foot hard on the brake pedal. If it runs rough with brake applied look at vacuum supply to booster or booster for leak.

Uribe likes this.
  7. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I suspect the Pig Tail wire in the distributer is snorting out , as suggested . Many things can happen here , but I don’t thing your trans is where I would spend lots of time lookin

283john likes this.
  8. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Where are you located? I have a trans with TC you can have for free if you pick it up.

9. RednekYoga

RednekYoga

Wow, thanks for all the great responses. Y'all are going to save me some trouble i can tell.
    Here's some answers for better clues:
    1. No power brakes
    2. It does not cut off if I brake hard in neutral or reverse
    3. Gradual stopping, it does not cut off. If you stop "normally," it will usually die
    Something else I noticed is that the motor runs very cool. Like I can touch the intake manifold after driving for 15 minutes. I put a new thermostat in and am about to go check if it made any difference.

10. RednekYoga

RednekYoga

Thanks a million. I'm in Washington state...kind of a haul from PA :)

11. That might be a clue there. Does the engine have an automatic choke? Is it working properly, or at all? Take off the air cleaner and take a few pics of the carb and engine from the front and both sides and post them here.

If the choke is not opening or sticking closed the engine may be flooding out and stalling. The choke requires heat to open the choke valve and keep that from happening. Some older Fords routed one of the heater hoses thru a clip on the side of the choke thermostat to provide this heat as the engine warmed up. Other models might have used a choke thermostat mounted in a well in the intake manifold and a linkage rod up to the carb. Or others pulled heat from a heat pipe that went thru or somewhere around the exhaust manifold.

If the choke isn't opening as the engine warms up in a few minutes you can maybe get by with wiring the choke in the open position. But it's going to be harder to start in cold weather.

Hnstray likes this.
  12. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

I have to profess my ignorance, just what I looked up. 63 was the last year for Ford-O-Matic it looks like...but it's a 2 speed with a vacuum modulator...right?
    What happens if you disconnect that vacuum line, then plug the carburetor port?
    Now I'm thinking also, only forward...not reverse. Could it be sloshing fuel and flooding?
    What carb. is on it?

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

13. RednekYoga

RednekYoga

Hey ClayMart and SevenHills1952, I think you guys are on it and that the carb is my issue. Only one of the jets was squirting fuel, so I took it apart and it has all kinds of sludge in its innards. Rebuilding today and will let you know how it turns out.

czuch likes this.
  14. scrubby2009

scrubby2009

I'd love a picture of the car to reminisce. I had a black over red vinyl '63 Comet in the late '80's. 260-2v with the Ford-o-matic. I put 1.75" duals with glasspacks and pencil tips, cut the dash for some Alpine stereo. I was 20.

15. mrhp

mrhp
    from MICHIGAN

I had a black 63 2 dr sedan. Red and black interior with a 260 and a 3 speed. I put headers for a early mustang on it with dual exhaust. That little 260 sounded amazing. Bought it from the original owner for 250 dollars! They quit driving it when a rear spring broke, and they parked it in a barn. Wish I had it back. It had 64,000 miles on it. Pretty clean car. Sorry for the trip down memory lane.