Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Ford Mike's Roadster Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ford Mike, Mar 11, 2014.

1. You didn't have to remove any part of the piece of metal between the 2 tabs? (I ground them down to even get the striker to fit right) I'm probably just over thinking this, I'll see about giving it a go when I get home from school tonight

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1395087542.149040.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Yeah it took me awhile to get with the plan haha

Thanks man! Hopefully it will keep getting cooler!

3. That's ok. I actually only commented yesterday so I could find the thread again. Just read through it all. Awesome progress. It's definitely cool to have it all laid out with explanation and pictures.

First test drive coming up soon?

4. Nope, i got an old original latch for my drivers side (the one with the striker half over the quarter panel..) and literally bolted it to my door, threw some wd40 in it to make it work, put the striker on and fucked around with that until it bolted in place.. and that was it lol.

I do nice fabrication work and all, but if something is beyond normal amounts of finicky i am the most laziest dude there is and just won't bother lol.

I learnt a long time ago when i was an apprentice.. work smarter, not harder ;)

5. Ok, it's been awhile, and there has been fairly steady progress on the roadster but nothing too interesting. After the rear went back underneath we pulled the engine and trans out. The engine had developed a persistent leak from the oil pan to the bell housing. We were stumped at first but upon removing the pan it was plain to see that there were a few small holes in the rear of the pan. Now they were not there when we put the engine together so the only explanation was these holes were bondoed up by a previous "engine builder". Dad hit it with a little bronze to patch it up and now the leaks are sealed.

[​IMG]

Now onto the trans, I for one really don't have a lot of faith in this thing being too good but we replaced the throwout bearing and the part it slides on. New seals were added and its now back on. Pardon these awful pictures, I have no clue why they are so blurry...

[​IMG]

The scene as of now, hoping to get it back together soon. There are some parts for the brakes on their way too so I can't wait to knock some of that out and get the steering buttoned up.

[​IMG]

6. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I really need to find a dash like that for my pickup... and the I can mount my Stewart Warner navigator panel right there in the middle!

7. Oh you fancy huh? hahaha Its a 32-34 truck dash so they can't be too hard to find. Plus I think that would be rad!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  8. Been tying up a lot of loose ends lately. I trimmed the front crossmember down so the engine would fit a little nicer and I just think it generally looks better than it did stock.

[​IMG]

I also got the trans crossmember bolted in for the first time. I still plan on making a top for it to make it look a little better but for now it is fine.

[​IMG]

I also FINALLY welded the flange my pal Jason Sheets made for me. I didn't put the box together tonight but I will first thing tomorrow. I can't wait!

[​IMG]

Plus there are brake parts as well as a radiator on the way this week so if I get the steering wrapped up and make a set of pedals it will be test drive time!

Oh and here is a pic of the car with a 28-29 grille shell on it. Along with wire wheels this ain't gonna happen so don't get your hopes up.

[​IMG]

9. Nobey

Nobey

Looks good Mike. What are your plans for a steering wheel to match that dash?
    Rich....

10. Thanks! I'm most likely going to run the 40 wheel I have. The dash will be somewhat a work in progress for quite a while. There are some plans in the working that may leave me making a custom dash if the truck dash doesn't work out. I'm not at liberty to spill the beans yet but either way its going to be cool!

11. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

Cool project. Looking good this far, keep it up...

12. HelmuthBrothers

HelmuthBrothers
    from New Jersey

13. I've been pretty focused on the steering over the last week. Steering box went back in, it looks great! (Free advertizing for SCSS)

[​IMG]

Then decided to put my own spin on a "steering hoop". It started out as a 10x5 1/2" plate.

[​IMG]

After adding two 1/2" holes and ALOT of heat!

[​IMG]

I put a couple more bends on it and then lopped off the tapered piece off my passengers side spindle. Added a 1 1/8" hole to fit the piece into

[​IMG]

Then did a little grinding to clean it up and whipped up a draglink. Nothing is welded yet but I think it fits the era I was shooting for much better than a conventional hoop. It also misses the grease fitting and follows the axle pretty good.

[​IMG]

Nothing is welded yet, it will be soon tho. You can see the radiator I caved and bought. I was looking for a 32 v8 rad but I was running out of time.

[​IMG]

It's pretty easy to make one, the only tools I used were a torch, center punch, and a hand drill. Now its onto making a gas, brake, and clutch petal. Then rebuild the brakes and run the lines. The pedals are pretty much the last hurdle but I've got some ideas.

14. Things are looking good Mike! Everything is getting buttoned up.

Maybe it's just the angle of the picture, but it sure looks like the exhaust port and the steering column are right next to each other. Room for an exhaust manifold?

15. Thanks man!! I think its just the angle of the pic. I can nearly run the cast iron stock manifolds, which I may end up doing if I don't have enough time to whip up some headers

16. Right on. It can be a PITA fitting exhaust and steering in these old heaps. Carry on.

17. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Listen... I've been on the hamb for a long time. I've seen a bunch of us grow up from punk kids to being adults and having punk kids of our own. Its kinda crazy when I think about it...

A lot of us have really honed are skills here. I've said many times that I've got what I consider a second college education right here on the Hamb from people that took the time to share. Its awesome...

I've been watching this build on IG- and here... I LOVE THIS BUILD.

The reason is because of the motivation behind it... and the realness of it.

I see stuff like this steering arm and all of the other mods and get excited like its me that's 19 building a roadster right along with you.

I'm not trying to be sappy or anything... I'm just calling it what it is... this is legit right here. No ego's... no bullshit. Just a kid trying to build a hot rod in his garage for the SOLE purpose of owning and driving a hot rod.

Makes me smile the big smile.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK MIKEY.

This little roadster is great motivation for the soul up here in Kanada.

Tuck

Ford Mike and volvobrynk like this.
  18. banjorear

banjorear

Curious, what is that dash out of? Love the build.

19. Thank you man, I'm really honored you dig it so much. You hit the nail on the head, I'm just trying to build a car, with hand tools, just like they would have back in the day. It's not going to be the flashiest, it's not going to be the nicest, heck I doubt anyone would even take a picture of it at a show but I will be proud to say I built everything myself. I have been learning a lot and I am sure I will need to learn more before its done. I was very hesitant to post this build on here because I have seen a fair share of posts go south due to egos and nonsense. I don't want to be involved in any of that and I'm glad it has stayed away. Enough typing, I've got a roadster to get going!!

20. Thanks man! It's a 32-34 ford truck dash

21. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

I'm with Tuck! Keep on Keepin' on!

22. x 1000

23. Steves46

Steves46
    from Florida

Your project is looking great! A roadster with a Flathead-love it.

24. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

That's where my problem area is. Can't bolt on exhaust manifold. Doh! Will deal with that soon.

25. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Thanks for the advertising!!!

26. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Looking good, Mike --- keep it going!

Malcolm

27. When I got my 34, the steering column had a little dent in it to help clear the flathead exhaust manifold. And the engine was definitely put in with the manifolds on.

28. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I think I might machine the box to accept some counter sunk bolts of some sort to clear the manifolds. It's about 1/8" from fitting. We'll see...

29. I assume you mean counter sunk bolts on the outside of the box? (The side of the box closest to the engine and farthest from the frame rail)?

That could work. Good call.

30. I was thinking of just cutting a chunk out of the stock exhaust manifold and welding a piece in that will give me a little clearance. If you throw me some dimensions I could try and whip a set up for you too. And before you laugh at the idea, it does seem pretty traditional. :) Plus welding cast iron isn't as hard as it seems