Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford man with a Shivel-lay question........

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 6sally6, Feb 6, 2020.

1. 6sally6

6sally6

On SB Fords the wrist pin in the pistons are offset 060 (I believe) to quieten the pistons when they are cold. What about Chevy....are their pistons also offset?
    Old race engine builder trick is to rotate the pistons so they are offset the opposite direction to gain a more favorable angle between the piston and the crankshaft throw. 3-5% increase in power at ZERO cost. Wonder if the same holds true with the GM stuff?!
    Thanx guyz
    6sally6

2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I know mopar is I would assume GM did it also.

3. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

It depends, most stock or stock replacement/hypereutectic mild performance applications, even some of the old stock replacement style TRW forgings have the offset.
    Most modern forged performance pistons do not. I don't believe the Keith Black Signature Hypers are offset either. Could be wrong about the KB's though...but since most have only 2 valve relief that can't be reversed anyway.

5% performance gain is a big exaggeration....maybe 1.5-2% at best. 8-10 Hp on a 400 HP build

blowby and oldiron 440 like this.
  4. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

Story from down here in the sixtees was a guy got a race sbc ( for a stock class) , for whatever reason he pulled the heads and found the pistons in back to front, rang the builder and whinged about the crappy race prep. He got told to put it back together and run it.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020

5. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Power wise not sure it helps due to extra piston friction because of rod angle increase causing extra pressure on the thrust side of piston/wall..

6. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Ar you trying to figure out why Chevys are faster :D:D:D:D:D