Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford Inline 6 254 Intake- 1950 FORD COE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by billydkid, Sep 27, 2013.

1. billydkid

billydkid
    from Newark, CA

Folks-

I finally found a 1950 Ford COE :) This is my dream truck, just need some help to get her down the road....

The truck has an inline 6 254 with the following parts missing:
    Carb
    Water Pump
    Radiator

I am new to these engines and haven't had much luck finding parts. Any help with where and how much the Carb and Water Pump would be? I can source a new radiator... Can I use a Edlebrock 94's or Offy 97's?

Any input on performance improvements with an intake that can handle multiple carbs? Thanks for the HELP....

2. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

For the intake and water pump you will have to search the salvage yards, auction sites, HAMB, etc. A Holley 94 sould be the correct stock carb. Napa or Auto Value (or any parts store that carries alot of big truck stuff) may be able to get a water pump, but my guess is that without a core you won't be able to afford it. But it would be fun to see the expression on the face of some 17 yr old nose picker when you ask him to look up a water pump for a 1950 254 I-6 in a COE Ford.

For performance improvement, I would suggest a Ford 300 inline 6. You can spend cubic dollars on the flathead 6 and never get close to the performance, reliability, and availability of the 300. If you want to use the flathead, go for it, but it is fairly limited with little aftermarket support.

Good Luck and post pics.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  3. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

i believe that the carb on those engines was a single bbl, not a two... you're looking for a holley 847 carb for that engine

4. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Fiddy, Could very well be right, I don't have my Motor Manual in front of me on account of I am at work. I was hoping that the 6 would have been the same carb as the 8.

5. I am not 100% sure, but I think the cabovers used an updraft carb. Does the engine have an intake manifold on it? If it is downdraft, I agree, it uses an 847.

6. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

I have a 254 out of a COE. It had an UPDRAFT carb on it-which I sold. The manifold has no provision for a downdraft . The Parts Catalog indicates all parcel delivery and cab-overs F-3 to F-6(F-350 to F-600) with 6 cylinder engines used this carb -which is a single barrel.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  7. Yeah, the COE sixes have the oddball updraft carb and intake. Everything else should be the same as a normal 254 though. Also many parts from the 226 six will fit. Not sure if anyone is still making water pumps for them, and the wp pulleys are impossible to find.....
    Good luck.

8. There is an updraft carb for a 254 on E**y right now.

9. 1960fordf350

1960fordf350
    from ohio

Most cabovers of that era used the updraft carbs because of room constraints. It can't hurt to try O'Reilly's or autozone. Brand new water pump for my 292 ford was $38 at O'Reilly with no core charge. Might get lucky on that. Hope you find the carb, they are out there. Try O'Reilly for radiator., I was able to get a new heater core for my 60 F350, they had it on the shelf. They will let you look through their radiator book. It has general reference pages with the application next to the picture of the product. Radiator is probably the same as a pickups.

10. Roger50

Roger50
    from Georgia

The updraft carb is a Holley 859-H. I have one on my truck. Or a Ford #R-551A.
    Saw a water pump on rockauto.com.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  11. BISHOP

BISHOP

put a 300 in it.

12. farnhamyrl

farnhamyrl
    from london

I was hoping that the 6 would have been the same carb as the 8.[​IMG]

13. Roger50

Roger50
    from Georgia

The truck also came with a flathead V8 option. you would just have to find or build an engine cover.